PDA

View Full Version : neck/throat discomfort

lisalewis1973
03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
the past few days i've been getting neck/throat discomfort. it's not pain, but when I lay down it feels like i've got alot of pressure on my throat..which makes it feel like it's hard to breath.. idk if that makes sense, idk how to describe it.. it is very scary..i can breath but it just feels like i have to keep straightening up my neck..idk, does anybody else ever get this sensation??

steve.b
03-28-2012, 08:37 PM
lisa,
i have not heard of this before.

but remember lupus can make any muscle inflamed.
the throat is a collection of muscles.
please keep a careful eye on restricted airway.
go to emergency if required.

Shine
03-29-2012, 03:58 AM
Hi Lisa,

Do you have any thyroid issues? Hashimoto's perhaps?

There is a link between discomfort in that area and an inflamed thyroid gland. It's easy for a doctor to test your thyroid, and they should test your thyroid antibodies too.

I have Hashimoto's, an auto immune thyroid disorder, and I just take thyroxin to replace the thyroxin my body should produce.

Steve's point is also very valid too, I think it's easy to forget that Lupus can affect any part of our bodies, not just joints, major organs and skin.

I hope your issue is resolved soon, best of luck.

Chesterwin
03-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi Lisa,

I agree with the others, it could be so many things including thyroid. I have a very similar sensation that is worse when lying down, but I also have pericarditits. I had a barium swallow to make sure it wasn't involving my esophagus. I do have a tiny bit of reflux, but the doctors don't think that is the cause. So far they think it is either referred from the pericarditis or adenitis (general swelling of glands).

I will let you know if I find out anything else. I am going to a large referral hospital in Manhattan in a few weeks (Hospital for Special Surgery) and seeing the chief rheumatologist there! The neck pressure is on my list of questions.

I would definitely let your doctor know about the pressure. I did have to tell mine about 3-4 times before he started to take me seriously and start investigating it.

Good luck and hopefully feeling better soon!

Heather

magistramarla
03-29-2012, 11:57 AM
There are also glands in the neck and throat that some AI diseases, such as SJogren's, can cause to swell and hurt.
Hugs,
Marla

Chesterwin
04-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Still having the neck pressure? My referral appointment was next to useless. I didn't get to ask any of my questions about pericarditis and never got to the neck pressure. However, I wanted to let you know in reading that I found out neck pressure can be the only sign (no burning sensation) of GERD. I am already on omeprazole, but I do have an appointment with a GI doctor in June to investigate further if it doesn't improve.

Whatever th cause, I hope you are feeling better!

tripLexie
04-24-2012, 06:06 AM
I have the exact same issue you are describing. The PCP and rheumy both said GERD.. I am on omeprazole.. Which does nothing. Sometimes I get food stuck (not to the point of choking, though).. Sometimes post nasal drip just pools in my throat.. Do you ever experience any of that?

Kyle787
04-24-2012, 08:52 AM
I actually have this same exact issue. Feels kind of like there is a kink in the throat. One of my docs thought it was something called Vocal Chord Dysfunction.

My thyroid tests and ultrasound were normal. And it isn't Acid Reflux for me at least.

tripLexie
04-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I don't feel like I have reflux either. My x-ray and barium swallow was normal too.. So I don't see how it could possibly be GERD either.

lisalewis1973
04-27-2012, 08:13 AM
thanks for the info guys!!where my thyroid is is a little swollen..i had my levels checked before but they were normal..i wonder if its cause of the prednisone?? idk..i go to the dr on the 10th of may so i'll update more then