PDA

View Full Version : New here and sick on Plaquenil

hairwhisperer
03-24-2012, 11:55 PM
I am 46 and from Oklahoma. Started Plaquenil about a week ago and sick as can be from it. I could use a cheering group right now.lol

kim,l
03-25-2012, 02:00 AM
welcome whl family sorry you are feeling sick right now i dinot have any side affects from plaquenil but some other members might have it can take up to 6 to 12 weeks to work properly. if it persists tell gp i found ginger helps with nausea hugs kim

steve.b
03-25-2012, 05:22 AM
hi hairwhisperer,
welcome to we have lupus.

plaquenil is one of the most commonly used drugs for us.
it is a desease modifying drug.
my non medical explanation is that the drug creates a chemical reaction within your body.
some people are more tollerant than others to this reaction.

there is a few recent threads about how people cope with plaquinel.
i hope you can find some options within them.

running girl
03-25-2012, 06:31 AM
Hello and welcome,

I'm happy to cheer for you! I don't have any issues with plaquenil but i know there are others here who have. Many have said that things settle down after the first few weeks. When do you take it? I take mine after dinner.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you.
Brenda

hairwhisperer
03-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was doing well on the new med for the first 3 days (I followed directions and took the pill only after a full meal) then on the 4th day I decided that my iron gut didn't need to eat a full meal. I had a few potato chips and took the pill. I became very ill and the next 3 days have been rough even though I am eating a full meal before taking the med. I am also having headaches. Oh how I wish I had ate a full meal on that 4th day!

dawnt
03-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi Hairwhispherer
I am new here also and like you having a problem with plaquenil. After talking to rheumy we decided to lower the dose until I get use to it and then slowly increase the dose. I am now taking it at night and this seems to help some. I hope this info helps and it gets easier for you.

EdurO
03-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Hello hairwhisperer, i have been using plaquenil since i was 16 years(now 23), but in my case i have constantly headaches and gastritis, Best wishes to you from México and a big hug

tgal
03-27-2012, 10:42 AM
You might want to try taking a dose a bedtime. I have heard it helps. I have never had any issue with it so I have no personal experience with problems. I know it helps when I take my MTX at bedtime because I sleep through the worst of it. Same is probably true for plaquenil.

leaann
03-27-2012, 05:21 PM
hello and welcome however sorry that you had to find us. I have never had any issues with Plaquenil, I have been on it for about 5 months now. the only real problem that I seem to have was that it was great a first and after about 2 months it acted like it didn't want to work anymore so they had to add another med to boost the plaquenil. So now we wait and see if the med is going to start working again.

Hope that you get some ease with the meds I know how hard it can be

Take care

tgal
03-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Don't forget that it takes plaquenil between 3-6 months to really work. It is slow acting and builds up in your system. Don't expect over night results but it will usually help

magistramarla
03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
It took me a while to get used to taking Plaquenil, and I had to start with a half pill. I still only take one pill per day. I take mine with breakfast, and I've recently started drinking aloe vera juice mixed with tart cherry juice first to "coat" my tummy first. It's working for me! I'm having a lot less indigestion.
I've also found that the Plaquenil bothers me much more if I take it along with greasy foods, like those days that I just can't resist bacon and fried eggs.
I do much better if I take it with a bowl of oatmeal or healthy cereal.
Hugs,
Marla

deannegirl
04-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Hi Hairwhisperer!

I'm new to this sight (this is my first night) and before even posting my own story I saw your thread! I'm recently diagnosed 6 months ago and have been on Plaquenil so far. I had a few pretty nauseating hiccups at first but now its okay and I have more good days than bad days in a week!

Here were some of my issues that perhaps might help you to troubleshoot before giving up:

1. I took it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, at the same time as my birth control pill. -- BAD IDEA. Horrible nausea from the empty stomach and the other meds at the same time.
2. I switched to taking it at lunch with a handful of multivitamins and a full meal. -- MUCH BETTER.
3. I "forgot" to take it a few days here and there the first few weeks. -- Just like birth control, if you forget to take it one day you feel like CRAP because its the kind of drug that's supposed to build up in your system and maintain a steady dosage.

My advice? Stick with it. Take it the same time every day, with a meal, and not near other Rx meds. Hopefully that helps and if not - make a follow up with your doctor.

Good luck -- and believe me, I EMPATHIZE.

steve.b
04-10-2012, 12:40 AM
hi deannegirl.

thankyou for your input.
it is always helpful to hear about how new drugs effect us.
many of us have been on plaquenil for so long it is hard to remember our first days.

welcome to your new cyber family.
we are here because we care and need each other. just like a normal family.
but we are bonded by this terrible problem - lupus.

we understand each other because we have it also.
you are no longer alone.

Slplsinnyc
04-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Hi there! I am new here, just joined a few minutes ago. Also new on Plaquenil. Just 3 weeks. Started with 200mg for a wk and after I increased the dose to 400mg a day. The secret is to take it on bedtime and also with lots of milk. The milk helps coat the stomach lineage and you won't get the nausea. Also, you have to take it on bed time to prevent you from getting motion sickness. A lot of people are complaining about that. I also got it over the day, the other day I couldn't watch a movie on a big screen at the cinema. Apparently this is the only drug that works with good with Lupus. Before I take the pills I look at it in my palm and I imagine how good they will make me feel. After I take it I go straight to bed and I meditate on the great effect that this treatment will have on my body. I know how hard it is for you right now; going thru the same here but the Prednison and other cortico steroids are far too toxic. Try to make milkshakes, add papaya or pineapple or coconut. Those are good enzymes for your stomach. Hang in there and keep reading those blogs; I'm sure there are so many other of us in the same situation that could give you some good advice. Be patient with the meds; they will work soon.
Hope this will cheer you up a bit and help you.
Feel better!!!

Slplsinnyc
04-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Hi there deannegirl!

I have a question for you. Why are you taking a birth control pill? My rheumy told me that for nothing in the world I am allowed to do that. As well as a flu shot. She is the same one that suggested I take the Plaquenill on bedtime and with milk or food. I got Lupus for 9 years and it was borderline positive; I just started the Plaquenil recently because I had no major symptoms. I went into a flare recently and I decided it's time to start.
Good luck to you!

tgal
04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi there! I am new here, just joined a few minutes ago. Also new on Plaquenil. Just 3 weeks. Started with 200mg for a wk and after I increased the dose to 400mg a day. The secret is to take it on bedtime and also with lots of milk. The milk helps coat the stomach lineage and you won't get the nausea. Also, you have to take it on bed time to prevent you from getting motion sickness. A lot of people are complaining about that. I also got it over the day, the other day I couldn't watch a movie on a big screen at the cinema. Apparently this is the only drug that works with good with Lupus. Before I take the pills I look at it in my palm and I imagine how good they will make me feel. After I take it I go straight to bed and I meditate on the great effect that this treatment will have on my body. I know how hard it is for you right now; going thru the same here but the Prednison and other cortico steroids are far too toxic. Try to make milkshakes, add papaya or pineapple or coconut. Those are good enzymes for your stomach. Hang in there and keep reading those blogs; I'm sure there are so many other of us in the same situation that could give you some good advice. Be patient with the meds; they will work soon.
Hope this will cheer you up a bit and help you.
Feel better!!!

Please note that the rules of this forum are very clear. We do not ever discourage people from taking the meds that have been proven to help our disease if suggested by their doctors (IE- "Steroids are too toxic"). We also do not encourage people to take natural substances over medications. There is nothing wrong with eating healthy however that is never done in place of taking proven meds

Desleywr
04-12-2012, 02:29 AM
When first starting plaquenil I felt like morning sickness and then realised it must be taken with food. It all sorted after I realised that and I mean with in ten min of eating. Hope this helps

cemmons24
04-13-2012, 08:57 AM
I had some discomfort with it for about the first month or so, then I guess my body adjusted to it and I have no more ill effects from it now. Good luck!! Also I have to take 2 a day, how many a day do u take?

theLword
04-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Hi Hairwhisperer,

I'm not sure if this is repetitive since I'm at work and I can't go through all the previous posts, but I recently started on Plaquenil as well. I have heard that GI issues are common within the first couple of weeks. What dosage are you on? If you take two 200 mg pills, you may be able to take one with breakfast in the morning and one with lunch. That might be easier on your stomach. You're braver than I am, I've been stuffing my face before taking the pills every morning :)

I hope you start feeling better as soon as possible!