PDA

View Full Version : Allergies are Driving Me Crazy

DrinkofWtr
03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
My allergic rhinitis is driving me crazy. Stopped up nose all night long, then a runny nose, sneezing, etc., then today an earache. Went to the Dr. today and was prescribed eardrops. Hope they kick in soon.

Saysusie
03-19-2012, 10:59 PM
I know how you feel...I have bad allergies on top of asthma. Lemme tell ya, that is no fun at all. I have an pharmacy in my nightstand (lol) and you should see the routine that I have to go through every night in order to go to sleep: nose sprays, saline, moisturizer for the lining of my nose, humidifier, ear drops, eye drops, and it goes on and on...all of this is before I take my evening regemin of pills!
I do hope that you feel better and that your allergies get under control. Wishing you a restful night.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Manderson
03-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Because Chicago has had a mild winter and it's summer already (temps in 80's for severl days now), my allergies never quite went away. Normally I have relief in the winter, but not this year.

DrinkofWtr
03-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Then I went to get the prescription filled and the pharmacist told me it would cost $45 for the steroid nasal spray. Forget that! I simply cannot afford it. But the eardrops are working, thank God..

magistramarla
03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
DOW,
Are you able to take Allegra? I had allergies that never went away when I lived in Texas, and the only way that I could survive was by taking an Allegra each and every day. Lucky for me, I don't have to take any allergy meds at all here in California!
I was taking Allegra when it was a prescription drug, but now it's OTC. I don't think that it's very expensive. One note though - you have to take it consistently for two weeks or more before you notice a difference - much like good ol' Plaquenil.
Hugs,
Marla

DrinkofWtr
03-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Never have taken it and I was thinking about getting some OTC allergy pills. I am going to give it a try. I didn't know what was effective and have taken various ones, including Claritin, but never tried that one. My allergies are year round too. The last time I tested which was a few years ago, the allergist said I was allergic to all the environmental ones, like dust, feathers, dustmites, etc. I had this old pillow I was using, I just got rid of. I am sure it had plenty of dustmites in it. I heard that you have to wash your pillow at least once a week in hot water to keep them down. Don't know if those allergy free pillow protectors work or not. I guess I could give them a try. Has anyone out there had any luck with those for allergy relief?

steve.b
03-21-2012, 07:44 PM
yes the allergy free protectors work.

i use them for both of my kids.
they are a very good investment.

i also use a nasal spray called "a-zep"
it is a script medication in australia.
not sure over there.

DrinkofWtr
03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Since I got rid of my dustmite laden pillow and bought a new one, my allergies have been somewhat better for now. Also, the eardrops the Dr. prescribed have kicked in and my ears are not paining like they did.