PDA

View Full Version : Hey Colorado People!!!

SoleSinger
05-09-2006, 07:46 PM
As you may or may not know tomorrow (May 10th) is World Wide Lupus day!! Tomorrow, the Arvada support group will be having a balloon release in honor of the day and those whose lives are touched by Lupus at 7:30 in front of the Cheshire Cat restaurant in Arvada. Channel 7 news is expected to appear as well as at least one of the local newspapers!

If you are around this area and can make it, we'd LOVE to see you there! PM me if you need directions!!

Thanks!!!

I hope it's okay that I post this here...

TracyDawn
05-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Have fun today Solesinger. If I were near there I would be there. I think it is sad tho that this is the first I've heard of World Lupus Day. Definitely not enough attention paid to our situation I think. :(
Have a great time. Can't wait to hear all about it. :)

SoleSinger
05-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes!! :D

SoleSinger
05-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I promised I would tell you all how it went!! Sorry it took me so long!!!

The group got to King Soopers at about 5:30 on Wednesday to set up to hand out balloons, pamphlets, and try to collect donations for the LFC.... It was WAY windy, so I got the job of "designated balloon holder". So, there I was covered in about fifty green balloons... I tried to sing the song... You know... "99 red balloons, floating in the summer sky..." Didn't work so well as "50 green balloons standing in front of King Soopers.." No... So, I officially decided that instead of hiding behind Miranda (Our group leader and a friend of mine) when the cameras came, I would just NOT hand out or release my balloons, and I'd make a big green balloon dress... And I would charge people a dollar per balloon if they want to pop them... To go to the Lupus Foundation of course... No one else thought this was a great idea... In fact, most of them looked at me like I was crazy... Okay... Point taken.

ANYWAY... Here we were, a bunch of crazy Lupus girls laughing and making fools of ourselves! I'm sure that just from watching us, people probably thought that Lupus was a fun disease to have!!! Then we handed them a pamphlet and said, "Yeah right!"

In an hours time we handed out all but three balloons, a bunch of pamphlets, and made $31 for the LFC! WOO HOO!! So then, it was about seven and we all headed over to The Cheshire Cat for the balloon release. We got there and the camera crew was there... We brought out close to three hundred balloons and held on to them in the wind while Jenn and Miranda (Co facilitators of the Arvada support group) read a little bit about what Lupus is, and the World Wide Lupus Day Proclaimation from Congress... Next time, I'm getting her SOMETHING to amplify her voice! With the wind and the traffic it was really hard to hear.

Jack, from my former band, arrived just before the reading. I gave him some of my balloons, and we released them into the wind... Until they got caught in the tree across the street... LOL! Then they handed out purple carnations to all of us with Lupus and they said a prayer... I think it was a prayer anyway... i couldn't hear them either.

I stayed with my friends who came for dinner afterward, and rushed home to see us on the 10:00 news for three whole seconds... I taped it, but it was so not worth it! It showed the balloons and two people that didn't even have Lupus... If you blinked, you missed it. Apparently, though, we were on the 5:30 am news on Thursday, too! My friend Nikki said she taped it, and they actually had someone talking about Lupus and showed more of the balloon release... She said they showed her , Jack and I, and some people from the group...

All in all it was a lot of fun, and I think a great thing overall!

TracyDawn
05-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Sounds like you had a great time LOL I think it is so sad tho that this topic isn't given more attention, especially when so many people have it. We don't even HAVE a support group in this town, and I'm not "together" enough to start one, but I've found out in the last month alone of at least 6 people that have it, one of them WAY worse than me so I was thanking my lucky stars when I heard about that one.
Great job SS! Wish I could have been there for the laughs ;)