PDA

View Full Version : My brain is fried.

chikititalinda
03-16-2012, 06:46 AM
I hate this feeling, I can't think straight! I read things and do not know what the heck is it that I'm reading, my kids tell me something and I do not remember it. this is a scary feeling, AYE, I can't even put my thoughts into words, Im writing like a third grader.

tripLexie
03-16-2012, 06:58 AM
I feel your pain. You feel like your thoughts aren't connecting to your mouth. Brain fog continues to get the best of me.

debbie-b
03-16-2012, 07:06 AM
That is the reason, that alot of times, I don't answer long posts here, because I read them over and over and still don't understand them.
It is very frustrating.
When I was at my rheumy wednesday, I wanted to ask him, why my platelet count is always low. Well, I couldn't remember the word " platelet", so I asked him, " why is my blood clotting count down?" He looked at me kind of funny.
In a way I was glad that it happend in his presence, because he always dismisses brain fog.
You are not alone my friend.

Debbie

rob
03-16-2012, 07:12 AM
I hate this feeling, I can't think straight! I read things and do not know what the heck is it that I'm reading, my kids tell me something and I do not remember it. this is a scary feeling, AYE, I can't even put my thoughts into words, Im writing like a third grader.

It happens to me too, and it happens far too often. Brainfog is damn frustrating.

I know how you feel.

steve.b
03-16-2012, 07:17 AM
i can offer support and understanding.
i too have the same problem.

chikititalinda
03-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Its so frustrating. Im with you Debbie, I can't keep up with the long post either. I read and re-read them and can't comprehend them sometimes.
Any advice on how to minimize this feeling at least?

debbie-b
03-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Its so frustrating. Im with you Debbie, I can't keep up with the long post either. I read and re-read them and can't comprehend them sometimes.
Any advice on how to minimize this feeling at least?

Sorry, I have no advice. I have learned to laugh about it, sometimes we do some funny stuff, because of the brain fog.

Debbie

tgal
03-16-2012, 11:18 AM
That is the reason, that alot of times, I don't answer long posts here, because I read them over and over and still don't understand them.
It is very frustrating.
When I was at my rheumy wednesday, I wanted to ask him, why my platelet count is always low. Well, I couldn't remember the word " platelet", so I asked him, " why is my blood clotting count down?" He looked at me kind of funny.
In a way I was glad that it happend in his presence, because he always dismisses brain fog.
You are not alone my friend.

Debbie

I am the same way about the long posts. I have basically had to give up reading (which I LOVE) because I read over and over the same thing and it doesn't sink in. When it finally does and I get to the next chapter I realize that I have figured out that I don't remember half of what I have read.

People here have to remember that the ones answering here are sick just like the ones asking the questions.

debbie-b
03-16-2012, 12:02 PM
You are so right Mari, I would love to answer everyone, but sometines it is just impossible.
What the heck, we all do our best, but sometimes the fog wins.

Debbie

ruziska
03-16-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm there too! I had some advice but I forgot it already :(

chikititalinda
03-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Laughing out loud

magistramarla
03-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Oh yes!
I so hate forgetting a perfectly common word in the middle of a thought and then having my husband fill it in for me. Beyond frustrating!
I really feel silly when I can describe the word, give a definition and synonyms for the word, but I just can't think of the word!
Hugs,
Marla

debbie-b
03-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Oh yes!
I so hate forgetting a perfectly common word in the middle of a thought and then having my husband fill it in for me. Beyond frustrating!
I really feel silly when I can describe the word, give a definition and synonyms for the word, but I just can't think of the word!
Hugs,
Marla

My husband does the same thing. He is the only person, who I feel compfortable having a conversation with. He knows how to fill in the blanks, there are alot of blanks.

Debbie

debbie-b
03-17-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm there too! I had some advice but I forgot it already :(

I almost spit my coffee on the key board, that is too funny. We are one heck of a club.

Debbie

debbie-b
03-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Can you guys imagine, what it would be like, if all of us got together in person? A funny thought, isn't it?

Debbie

running girl
03-17-2012, 03:05 PM
It's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm having a really hard time keeping up at work. I spend a lot of time in meetings and people are starting to notice me stumbling. I try to brush it away, saying things like "oops, another senior moment" or "I haven't had enough coffee yet".

I'm so shy about this, I waited year before I told my husband. He was relieved to hear that it was part of lupus because he thought I had alzheimers.

Reading is so much work and much of he time I don't understand what I just read. Does anyone have any advice to make it better?

magistramarla
03-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Hey Running Girl,
It's good to see you here again!
When I was still teaching, I was doing a lot of "faking it". I wrote very detailed lesson plans, and kept them open on my computer while I was teaching a class. I could walk nonchalantly behind my desk and remind myself of what in the heck I was supposed to be doing next!
I found myself forgetting basic vocabulary words in Latin, just as I do in English. I would start to say a sentence in Latin and then stop at the "missing" vocabulary word. My students would cheerfully supply the word, thinking that I was quizzing them! I just rolled with it, and made it into a game with them. They never knew!
Could you carry a netbook or an ipad to your meetings, and have your own version of lesson plans?
Hugs,
Marla

running girl
03-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Hi Marla,
Thanks for the "welcome back". I just had the most lovely two month lupus vacation. My symptoms had all gone away. I was running again and feeling great. Alas, they have returned. But now I feel so much more hopeful. I look forward to the next break.

That's funny, that your students thought it was game. I do carry a notepad and a tablet, but I have to come better prepared. My note taking needs a lot of work. It never ceases to amaze me the simple things I can forget.

...you can make as many Latin mistakes as you like, I will never know! Lol

Brenda

bunny28
03-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Marla : as a second language teacher, I was going to say the same thing. The students usually think I am quizzing them. The problems arise when it is a word they can't possibly know in their first or second language. lol!

Hey Running Girl,
It's good to see you here again!
When I was still teaching, I was doing a lot of "faking it". I wrote very detailed lesson plans, and kept them open on my computer while I was teaching a class. I could walk nonchalantly behind my desk and remind myself of what in the heck I was supposed to be doing next!
I found myself forgetting basic vocabulary words in Latin, just as I do in English. I would start to say a sentence in Latin and then stop at the "missing" vocabulary word. My students would cheerfully supply the word, thinking that I was quizzing them! I just rolled with it, and made it into a game with them. They never knew!
Could you carry a netbook or an ipad to your meetings, and have your own version of lesson plans?
Hugs,
Marla

magistramarla
03-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Marla : as a second language teacher, I was going to say the same thing. The students usually think I am quizzing them. The problems arise when it is a word they can't possibly know in their first or second language. lol!

LOL - That's where those detailed lesson plans on the computer came in handy!

Lotus
03-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Well that explains my memory then...the fog brain, my kids tell me things and I forget....I then find myself repeating things bcoz ive fortgotten that ive told them something and they go, "Mum you just said that a few moments ago"...I cant remember where I put things and im usually quite organised, but this has really put me in a slump!! Now i feel like that movie 50 first dates with ummmm who was it again...hahah...oh yes Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandlers...

magistramarla
03-18-2012, 11:16 PM
LOL,
If you really want a laugh, go read the thread called "You know you have brain fog when...."

chikititalinda
03-19-2012, 07:51 AM
I know exactly what you mean Lotus, I think my kids and hubby have learned to read my thoughts as they can basically finish my sentences. Although its sad to know so many of us have this issue I'm glad to know its not just me and that there are others out there who understand what we're going through. I've come to hate this decease so much and how its turning my life around daily. When its not one thing its another!

Deb4Christ
03-19-2012, 06:34 PM
I am brand new, but here's how I describe it to people at work...picture a thought cloud above me head; there are lots of things floating around in there and I can't focus on which thought I am having at any given point; they are all running together!

steve.b
03-19-2012, 07:07 PM
hi deb4christ,
welcome.
it is good to hear from you.
please read a few of the older posts.
they are our personal experiences with lupus.

DrinkofWtr
03-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Brain fog is one of the reasons I had to stop teaching. One day I couldn't find my glasses in class and asked the kids to help me find them. When I was told they were there on top of my head, I thought it's time I better seriously consider retiring. Besides, when you have over 30 kids in a class and need to be on your toes at all times because things happen quickly in a classroom, I knew it was time to stop teaching.

chikititalinda
03-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Thats one of my biggest concerns is when should I stop working? I work in a Legal field and I'm so scared I will mess up on something. SIGH!

tgal
03-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Thats one of my biggest concerns is when should I stop working? I work in a Legal field and I'm so scared I will mess up on something. SIGH!

I feel ya. I also worked in the legal field and, even though I had to stop working several years ago, I still worry that one of the documents I ordered or one of the files I worked, will come back to bite someone on the butt. I worked long beyond what I should have but coming to that decision is a tough one

chikititalinda
03-20-2012, 07:50 AM
I've been working since I was 14 years old, being 38 now I feel I can use a little break from work, thats not the difficult part, the most difficult part is the financial part. I know we've spoken about this before, but the sad thing is Dissability wont give me enough to manage all my bills. STUPID ME, I didn't purchase dissability insurance on my mortgage or car loan so Im stuck. My advice to anyone getting a loan now is GET INSURANCE, you don't know what can happen!

theLword
04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
I feel you all as well! I am newly diagnosed and I have blamed my constant brain fog on ADD for years. I'm now starting to realize that this has more to do with Lupus and my memory than attention deficit.

The worst is also trying to explain to others what this feels like. I'm so grateful to be able to express to all of you how I feel and that I understand how you all feel as well. -- Thank you.