PDA

View Full Version : spray tans or self taning lotions

Tammy2011
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM
i have subacute lupus that only affects my skin and i dont have it bad at all dr has cut me down on the medication Plaquenil i take one pill every 4 days right now and was instructed to take one a day if it starts to get worse with it being spring my question is how many people here who have subacute lupus that affects their skin have went to those spray tan booths or bought the self tanning lotions for home sun really affects me but i am tired of looking so pale and sick all the time thanks for any info you have ..just a little nervous that the spray tans might make my skin break out bad m thanks

tgal
03-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I have Scle and SLE and my skin has become so sensitive I can't use either. I also can't use perfumes of any kind, even in soaps. It is just going to. E something that you have to check out for yourself. Try 1 thing at a time in case something bothers you so you will know which it is

Tammy2011
03-15-2012, 05:11 PM
but in your picture you look so good :) my face is pale with like a blushing red on it :( and my legs are ghostly white because i am also anemic ...but thanks ill try both and see :)

DrinkofWtr
03-15-2012, 05:16 PM
I use a self-tanning lotion and my skin can handle that o.k. I personally didn't like the spray tanning booth. I don't know if the spray tans are good for lupus or not.

Tammy2011
03-15-2012, 05:19 PM
oh ok do you know if they come in a mineral lotion at all? what type do you use

tgal
03-15-2012, 05:22 PM
but in your picture you look so good :) my face is pale with like a blushing red on it :( and my legs are ghostly white because i am also anemic ...but thanks ill try both and see :)

LOL That picture is long before steroids and hiding from the sun. I was still working then so it has to be 3 years ago. I too am so very pale!

DrinkofWtr
03-17-2012, 12:29 PM
,I tried various kinds, including Banana Boat. Just be sure you apply it evenly. Ankles, elbows, and knees are hard to get it even on and they can overdarken., You may not want to put it on those areas, even the feet can be tricky to get it on evenly, and can overdarken. I don't go for the dark tanning kinds because I am pretty fair skinned, and can't start out with a dark one anyway. Some blend in better than others. Banana Boat was pretty good. Hopefully others will come online with other kinds of self-tanners that they can recommend. Personally, I used to go to the tanning booths to start my tan, but those lights from the tanning booth could possibly cause a lupus flare up. Plus we are all aware of the increased danger of skin cancer from prolonged use of tanning beds. Here in CA you have to have parental permission if you are under 18 to use them. This is a fairly recent law enacted not long ago. Good luck!

Mica
03-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Ive done both, if I want a full body than I will do the spray booth. Other than that I use lotion with some bronzer in it and during the summer because my legs are so much paler than the rest of my body I use that Sally Hansons spray brush for legs. Love that stuff because the paler I look the more my stias(spelling?) stand out.

Tammy2011
03-17-2012, 02:23 PM
thanks i will look for that spray for the legs :)

Tammy2011
03-17-2012, 02:24 PM
thanks everyone i am currently trying the pur minerals tanning lotion i will let you all know how i make out :) its quite expensive though :( 27 dollars for a small tube but its better than being pale i guess :)

Tammy2011
03-17-2012, 02:26 PM
do you mind me asking roughly how much the spray tans in the booth run? thanks i know the prices will be different because i am in Canada but just a rough idea :) thanks

theLword
04-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Hi Tammy & Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with Lupus, but I'm a red head so I'm used to this whole stay out of the sun thing :)

Generally, I use a spray tan booth for special occasions. I don't know where you're from but Tantopia and other chain tanning salons usually have good booths. You just have to make sure to exfoliate your skin before hand and use the barrier cream provided so that you don't look dirty. In between sprays I use L'Oreal Sublime. It comes in a variety of types and all work equally as well. I usually put it on at night and then wash it off in the morning (some have glitter in them and a face full of glitter isn't always work appropriate! ha). Also, make sure to use it sparingly on your joints etc or it will look blotchy.

So, those are my recommendations. I say try out the Sublime on your legs or such to make sure that it doesn't cause a reaction. But, I've never had a problem. I haven't used anything for the past couple of months so that my doctors could see my skin and I seriously forgot how unbelievably pale I am. At least I know I'm not alone, and neither are you :)