PDA

View Full Version : Questions about lupus diet, candida, supplements???

PattyLatty
05-09-2006, 10:40 AM
In reading through different threads I've realized that I haven't spent enough time and energy researching the connection between food allergies, candida, herbal supplements, and such with relation to my SLE. I realize that this is a broad series of questions, but I know I could be doing more to monitor what I eat, the supplements that I take, and whether or not my constant stomach irritation, particularly after I eat anything, can have a great deal to do with my recovery. It's hard to know where to start. I have made an appointment with my PCP for this Friday to discuss these issues with her, and have no idea how she'll react to my questions. If she is unwilling to pursue these avenues, I suppose I'll try a naturopath. Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Saysusie
05-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi PattyLatty:
Good nutrition is an important part of the overall treatment plan for your lupus. I truly believe that what we eat directly affects our health and our ability to recover from illness! There is no set guideline about how we should eat, having lupus. There are some standard things that we are told: Like eat more vegetables and fresh fruit, stay away from red meats, no legumes, no alfalfa sprouts, eat low-fat foods, etc. - but no one has come up with a tried and true diet that works for all of us. I suppose that part of the reason is because Lupus affects each of us differently, so our treatment plans are different for each one of us and so is our diet.
I have been harshly warned by all of my doctors to never go on any fad diets (diets that advocate an excess or an exclusion of certain types of foods) and to keep my diet balanced and healthy.
I recommend to everyone to pay close attention to your body and how it reacts after eating. I kept a journal of foods every time I fell ill, that helped me to know what foods affected me and what foods I had to eliminate or prepare differently!!

I hope All Is Well
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

kelibeli
05-10-2006, 12:18 PM
PattyLatty,
This is one of the most difficult things to deal with. Like Saysusie said, there is no "Lupus diet". However I have found that I am very sensitive to certain foods and some foods will worsen my symptoms. The only way to really figure this out is by food elimination. You might look at a book, The Yeast Connection. I followed it for six months, desperate, trying to figure out if all of my symptoms were from food allergies...this was long before I was diagnosed.

I am particularly susceptible to candida albicans. Therefore if I don't eat right I am guaranteed a vaginal yeast infection. I have had yeast overgrowth through my entire digestive tract. Yeast overgrowth will exacerbate my symptoms badly. Therefore, I try my hardest to avoid foods that encourage yeast to grow.

Another book to consider is The Ph Miracle. The interesting thing is that yeast thrives in an acidic environment so if you try to keep your body ph balanced or slightly basic, then yeast won't grow.

Here is why it is so difficult for me:
The foods I should not eat are: wheat, yeast, sugar, gluten, red meat, non-soured dairy products, vinegar (pickles, olives, dressings) artificial colors/flavors, most additives, caffeine, high glycemic fruits, and super starchy veggies. There are more but you get the point.

So I try to eat a mostly basic, non-sugar/wheat/yeast/lactose/etc diet. When I do I feel so much better. However, I love sweet treats and unyeasted, gluten-free bread is like eating cardboard. So I cheat...a lot. When I cheat too much, I get sicker and I get yeast infections. I know the consequences, now it's up to me to make the choice how to eat each and every day.

I'm not trying to say that you should follow The Yeast Connection Diet or The Ph Miracle diet. I don't follow them exactly, but I have used them as guides.

I had a long conversation with a holistic nutritionist while waiting for my diagnosis. He said the best diet to put me into remission is a Macrobiotic diet. I believe him...but I can't seem to get myself to do it. There are foods I enjoy so much they are worth the consequences to me, like pickles and ketchup and the occassional chocolate.

So, my point is...I don't think there is any one fad diet or way to eat. I do think you should figure out what foods might make your symptoms worse and then each day, choose if the consequences are worth it.

Hope this helps.
Kelli

PattyLatty
05-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Kelly, thanks. Your response did help. What I intended to ask about was not a lupus diet but in fact the lupus elimination diet. I hope I can have your willpower to try the elimination diet and find out if I'm allergic to anything because I know that food allergies can play havoc on our health. I'm so ready to get over this flare and be fit and healthy again. I hope you are doing ok.

Pat