PDA

View Full Version : Brandy new

Gloria
05-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Hi everyone,

As my title suggests I am brand new to this forum and to the diagnosis of Lupus. I believe that I must have had this for years undiagnosed because I can track periods of flares and remissions and in my early 20's suffered 6 miscarriages but was never tested for Lupus. Anyway, I havent seen a rheumatologist yet but have some preliminary labs run by my primary doc - can anyone please share what they think of these, and maybe its not lupus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
TEST RESULT RANGE
Sed Rate 39 (range less than 20)
C-Reactive Protein 3.34 (0.01-1.0)
EBV-VCA IgG Ab 1.16 (<1:10)
ANA Positive
Smith Antibody 36.7 (>20)
Globulin (urine) 59 10-30
Alpha 2 globulin 1.3 0.3-0.9
Beta globulin 1.3 0.5-1.0
Gamma globulin 1.4 0.5-1.3
Total protein EP 8.4 6.3-8.3

I know that was alot of mumbo jumbo, but if anywone out there knows their labs well, maybe you could give me some insight. Thanks fow letting me spew,
Gloria

Saysusie
05-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi Gloria;
Welcome to our forum. I hope that you are able to find people here who are understanding, supportive. With reference to your question:

1) Sed Rate:
Various inflammatory conditions, including autoimmune conditions like Lupus, increase the rate at which the red blood cells (erythrocytes) sink in a test tube and form a sediment. The normal sed rate for females is <20. A marker of non-specific inflammation, tends to be raised in lupus. Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), also called "sed rate," determines if you have inflammation. The higher the sed rate, the greater the amount of inflammation. Your sed rate is 39.

2) C-Reactive Protein 3.34 (0.01-1.0):
C-reactive protein is a test that measures the concentration of a protein in serum that indicates acute inflammation. C-reactive protein is a special type of protein produced by the liver that is only present during episodes of acute inflammation. The most important role of CRP is its interaction with the complement system, which is one of the body's immunologic defense mechanisms. Normal CRP values vary from lab to lab, but generally there is no CRP detectable in the blood (less than 0.6 mg/dL).
Complement tests may be run and they are used to measure the amount of complement proteins circulating in the blood. Complement tests involve the reaction of antibodies with antigens. These tests usually are reserved for diagnosing or monitoring people with active lupus. Those people with lupus frequently have lower-than-normal amounts of complement, especially if the kidneys are affected.

3) EBV-VCA IgG A:
Epstein Barr Antibodies- to help evaluate susceptibility to EBV infection; to distinguish between an EBV infection and another illness with similar symptoms (such as lupus)

4) ANA Positive:
The immunofluorescent antinuclear antibody (ANA or FANA) test is specific for lupus. The ANA test is positive in virtually all people with systemic lupus. If the ANA test result comes back above the normal range the test is said to be positive. The antinuclear antibody test (ANA) detects a group of autoantibodies that are found in most people with lupus and scleroderma and in a few people with rheumatoid arthritis. These autoantibodies react with antigens in the nuclei of cells. The antibodies suggest that an autoimmune illness may be present, although many people test positive and have little evidence of serious disease. Specific antinuclear antibody tests are helpful in the diagnosis of certain rheumatic diseases that involve abnormalities in the immune system such as lupus.
Normal: <1:40, No Pattern
A positive ANA test, by itself, is not proof of lupus. That is why your doctor ran the other tests. Those, with the positive ANA led him to diagnose you with lupus.

5) Smith Antibody:
Another test that is highly specific for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Normal is negative.
The immune system is the body's natural defense against foreign invaders, such as bacteria or viruses. Occasionally, the immune system breaks down and loses the ability to distinguish between its own body cells and foreign invaders. When an invader such as a virus enters the body, the virus creates what is called an antigen. The body's immune system fights the antigen by creating an antibody. When the immune system fights against its own body cells, it creates autoantibodies that attack the body itself. Antinuclear antibodies are autoantibodies that react against the nuclei (core) of the body's own cells when these cell parts are mistaken for foreign invaders.

6) Globuline (urine), Alpha 2 glubulin, Beta Globulin, Gamma globulin and Total protein:
Two major groups of proteins in blood serum are albumin and globulin. A total serum protein test measures the total amount of protein in blood serum as well as the amounts of albumin and globulin. The amounts of albumin and globulin can help a doctor diagnose Lupus. Globulin is made up of different proteins that can be separated into alpha, beta, and gamma types. Some globulins are formed by the liver while others are formed by the immune system. Certain globulins (haptoglobins) bind with hemoglobin. Other globulins transport metals, such as iron, in the blood and help fight infection. Serum globulin can be separated into several subgroups by serum protein electrophoresis.
Normal values may vary from lab to lab.
An increase in serum globulin can indicate an autoimmune disease. A decrease in certain types of globulin can be caused by chronic liver or kidney disease, problems with the blood clotting process, problems with the immune system, emphysema, leukemia, or hemolytic anemia.

Other tests run for SLE may involve the following: anti-dsDNA, anti-Sm, anti-Ro/SS-A, and antihistone tests help confirm the diagnosis.

I hope that I've answered your questions

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie