PDA

View Full Version : How to fight the nausea?

E42brchick
03-11-2012, 02:20 PM
I frequently get strong waves of nausea that can cause me to gag and sometimes vomit. I have tried so many different things but nothing prevents them, and sometimes tums do help. Just was wondering if anyone else experiences this and if anything has helped?

On another note my son is experiencing a 4 month sleep regression and has been waking up over 10 times a night the last two nights after sleeping through the night for several weeks. Just when I thought all was under control I am definitely flaring up again I think. I'm also having severe cognitive issues and constant dizziness with this lack of sleep. But I love my little chunkers... Just wish I wasnt on the couch all day.

Mica
03-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Sorry I don't know anyways to prevent the nausea. Though I practically live off of pop sickles, the really cheap ones. They help settle my stomach.

kim,l
03-11-2012, 04:40 PM
hi ia from australia and the medicine i use is stemitil or maxalon for nausea it also helps with my dizzyness but you must check with your doctor first it may be under a different name also eating ginger can also help but please check with doctor if you can take such medications these are only suggestions i am not a doctor goodluck.

steve.b
03-12-2012, 04:09 AM
i also use maxalon tablets.
ginger is supposedly very good, but i have not tried it.

bunny28
03-12-2012, 04:54 AM
Your description of being on the couch all day reminds me of my son's early days. First about the sleep regression...that's the way it is in the first year or so. Honestly as soon as you think you have things figured out, they throw something new at you; teething, growth spurt, etc. I know that doesn't sound encouraging but it is the truth. They are sooo worth it though as I know you also know.

As for nausea; I took a fair amount of Gravol at one time but now think my nausea was linked to two other of my symptoms. One was my headaches and two was acid reflux. Now that I am on meds for each of those in addition to Plaquenil, I have that nauseous feeling less often. Maybe chat with your doctor about it? Some of this is also time-related. My little guy is three and as he got older, I have gotten better. Now when he was 9 months old and I was still undiagnosed, I thought I was losing my mind or at the very least had late post-partum depression and even asked my doctor about it. Anyway, I hope things get better for you more quickly as you know what you are dealing with. I just wanted to say hang in there. Someone else understands at least some of what you are feeling.

Ellie Hansen
03-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Rob already suggested it, but I wanted to let you know that ginger really does help. I have tried it, usually ginger tea and there is also a ginger supplement you can take, but I haven't tried that, only the tea and it really worked wonders for me. I hope this suggestion helps!

rob
03-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Rob already suggested it, but I wanted to let you know that ginger really does help.

I did?

Hmm........

magistramarla
03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Bunny mentioned gastric reflux, which seems to be very common in many of us. I take Prilosec for that, and I've found that drinking aloe juice mixed with tart cherry and berry juice tends to coat my stomach and help with the burning. Just don't drink too much aloe - it can cause the trots, too!
I saw that you mentioned on another thread that you are fairly new to Plaquenil. It can be upsetting to the tummy for a while. If you ease into it with half pills, then later whole ones, I found that it helped.

I used to be a La Leche League Leader. We told our Moms to NOT be afraid of sleeping with the little one. Cuddle him next to you and see if both of you sleep better. I did that with five babies, and the entire family slept well. Also, when he naps during the day, don't try to catch up on housework - nap with him. This is what we urged every new Mom. For someone like you, with a chronic disease, it's even more important.
Hugs,
Marla