PDA

View Full Version : Shampoos/Soaps

belsmom
03-10-2012, 09:52 AM
I saw somewhere that certain soaps/shampoos were better for lupus eryth. Don't know if it was this website or another lupus website, but I really need to find out. I get extremely itchy after my shower each day. My doctor did give me a prescription for hydroxyzine hcl 25 mg for the times the itching is unbearable but I don't use it often. Thanks for any suggestions!

steve.b
03-10-2012, 09:56 PM
i use a ph neutral body scrub.

one with no perfumes or fillers.

brandywine
03-11-2012, 01:33 AM
Go to the pharmacy and look at their 'soap substitute/allergies' section, ie Cetaphil or QV lotion. I love the Cetaphil range, always use their facial wash.

Also, if you are itchy after a shower, consider using a body oil after you step out. You can find them in the same section of the pharmacy. They make your skin feel great, and it's pretty awesome to oil yourself up like some greek god :-p The oil stops all my itches.

DrinkofWtr
03-11-2012, 09:06 AM
I was getting itching, especially of the scalp. My Dr. recommended Selsun Blue Shampoo. The active ingredient stops itching pretty well. I like the one with the conditioner in it also. I tried it on places on my skin were it itches. It helped stop the itching.

tgal
03-11-2012, 10:21 AM
It really isn't that there are better soaps for SlE patients it is just hat many of us have a tendency to get rashes and other skin issues. As was mentioned above try some of the more natural ones. I personally can't wear perfumes anymore and that includes ones in my soaps.

Hope that helps a little

kim,l
03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
i use Qv soap i was very itchy and had rash when i was in hospital and this is the soap they use in most public hospitals in australia you can use for your body and your hair hope this helps.

Ellie Hansen
03-12-2012, 05:20 AM
I noticed that my scalp gets really irritated after showering. I started using dry shampoo in between washes so that I'm not drying out my scalp too much and it seems to have really helped. I still shower daily but I put my hair in a shower cap so that it stays dry and then use the dry shampoo on my scalp and wet shampoo it every other day. I recently saw on yahoo news an article that says we wash our hair too much and it's drying out our skin and hair. I love the smell of my hair when I'm out of the shower, but I guess doing it every day makes it too dry and itchy. I don't know if it's lupus or if it's just me. I didn't have the itchiness be much of an issue until recently and I was diagnosed a few months ago so maybe it's related to sle.

Nonna
03-15-2012, 01:59 AM
I'm really not pushing this stuff, cause it's expensive. I get it as gifts and sometimes I splurge. It's called H2O plus. I can get it on the Internet . H2O.com. I helps me a lot with itchies and dryness

Just info.

n.mac
03-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Small world- my neighbor is a q/c inspector for H20-the plant is in chicago next to Harpo studios,where Oprah and now Rosie is broadcast.

Nonna
03-16-2012, 12:47 AM
That's one of the things I miss about Chicago. The H2O stores and pizza

ruziska
03-16-2012, 12:00 PM
I swear by soap, shampoos and conditioners with Tea Tree Oil. Keeps my scalp psoriasis under control and doesn't damage my hair.

DrinkofWtr
03-16-2012, 07:40 PM
My doctor also told me not to wash my hair every day, but to wash it every three days. I tried tea tree oil shampoo. It helped with itching of the scalp, but I found it to be drying. You could try it though, and see what you think!

magistramarla
03-16-2012, 09:34 PM
I guess that I'm lucky that I don't have problems with perfumes, as long as they aren't floral. I love spicy scents, like Cinnabar and Opium.
I use Denorex for scalp psoriasis breakouts, and Aussie Moist shampoo & conditioner. I also shampoo and shower every other day.
I've found a wonderful shea butter cream to use after my shower called Vivo Per Lei. It's very expensive at the mall, but quite reasonable on Amazon.
I adore their "summer" scent.
Hugs,
Marla