PDA

View Full Version : Plaquenil and abdominal pain....forewarning TMI :)

wowthird
03-10-2012, 09:21 AM
I started Plaquenil Thursday evening and about two and a half hours after taking it ( and going to bed ), I woke up with considerable abdominal pain. Really low, like ovary low. Here's the thing though, I started my period. So I am not sure if it is that or the new meds. I typically do not have cramping with my period or if I do, only a slight amount that can be obliterated by an ibuprofen. Another complicating factor is I aggravated a back injury earlier in the week and am in quite a bit of pain because of that already. Low back pain that is barely impacted by taking 800 mg of ibuprofen, which I had taken.

Is it the plaquenil? My rheumy warned of "gas" and some gastric issues, but I am surprised by the level of pain I was feeling. Last night the same thing. About two and half hours after going to bed, I am awoken by this really low, intense discomfort.

I should mention that by morning, it is mostly subsided but my back is still incredibly uncomfortable and I am having trouble discerning one pain from the other.

I'd love to hear some feed back on how this medication treated you early on. Should I expect these symptoms (if they are indeed from the drug) to dissipate over time? Owie.

steve.b
03-10-2012, 09:53 PM
there is quite a few threads started about plaquenil.
the latest is called plaquenil sickness and was started by shine.

please read them.

basically plaquenil is called a desease modifying drug.
it creates a chemical reaction within your body.
some peoples bodies are more upset by this reaction than others.

wowthird
03-11-2012, 05:25 PM
I actually read that thread and several others before posting my question. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

wowthird
03-15-2012, 07:25 PM
After thinking on your response for several days, I just wanted to let you know that I have done a lot of reading before posting my question and found your response less than supportive. Apparently repeat questions from new members aren't welcome. I will look into a different forum to pose my questions from here on out.

there is quite a few threads started about plaquenil.
the latest is called plaquenil sickness and was started by shine.

please read them.

basically plaquenil is called a desease modifying drug.
it creates a chemical reaction within your body.
some peoples bodies are more upset by this reaction than others.

tgal
03-15-2012, 09:04 PM
After thinking on your response for several days, I just wanted to let you know that I have done a lot of reading before posting my question and found your response less than supportive. Apparently repeat questions from new members aren't welcome. I will look into a different forum to pose my questions from here on out.

First off let me say that Steve is one of the, if not the, most supportive people in this forum. Often times things do not come across in text the way that they sound in person. Also, please remember that we have people from all over the world here and the way things are said may sound different to one group than it does to another. I believe what Steve was trying to tell you is that there are so many plaquenil threads going on right now that you might want to read/post in them because most likely you wouldn't get many responses (which is exactly what happened).

Having said that I will add that plaquenil topics are ones that many of us tend to shy away from until a response is needed. Plaquenil is the best drug we have to control our disease, hence the reason the doctors give it out first. With that being said, there is this fear of the drug that some people have that lends to Plaquenil topics turning into "plaquenil is evil" and they end up being being almost argumentative. Knowing that is the case when there are already 3 or 4 "plaquenil" threads we tend to simply guide people to the other threads. Not because their question isn't wanted, simply because posting in those threads tend to get more responses.

I am terribly sorry your feelings were hurt but I can promise you, knowing Steve as I do, that was not the intention. I read his response and "thanked" him because that is exactly what I would have done. Actually, he gave more information than I would have which is why I simply thanked him and didn't reply. It was never the intent of anyone here at WHL to make you feel that your questions were not important.

steve.b
03-15-2012, 11:31 PM
i am sorry you miss understood me.

i tried to be polite and helpfull.
by saying "please read", i meant that it might help you.

i did never mean to be negative or complain.

i hope you find the answers you are seeking here.
i am sorry if you feel the need to go elsewhere.

wowthird
03-16-2012, 06:09 AM
First off let me say that Steve is one of the, if not the, most supportive people in this forum. Often times things do not come across in text the way that they sound in person. Also, please remember that we have people from all over the world here and the way things are said may sound different to one group than it does to another. I believe what Steve was trying to tell you is that there are so many plaquenil threads going on right now that you might want to read/post in them because most likely you wouldn't get many responses (which is exactly what happened).

Having said that I will add that plaquenil topics are ones that many of us tend to shy away from until a response is needed. Plaquenil is the best drug we have to control our disease, hence the reason the doctors give it out first. With that being said, there is this fear of the drug that some people have that lends to Plaquenil topics turning into "plaquenil is evil" and they end up being being almost argumentative. Knowing that is the case when there are already 3 or 4 "plaquenil" threads we tend to simply guide people to the other threads. Not because their question isn't wanted, simply because posting in those threads tend to get more responses.

I am terribly sorry your feelings were hurt but I can promise you, knowing Steve as I do, that was not the intention. I read his response and "thanked" him because that is exactly what I would have done. Actually, he gave more information than I would have which is why I simply thanked him and didn't reply. It was never the intent of anyone here at WHL to make you feel that your questions were not important.

I appreciate you taking the time to speak in defense of another member. Though I am new here, I am not new to forums and am a long-standing member of a forum that discusses babywearing. Certainly it is a different type of forum, but like here there are always new people joining and asking questions that we long-standing members have answered many times before. I think it is important to remember that even though these topics have been discussed ad nauseum it is all new to those who have no experience with it.

I was/am feeling overwhelmed by this new illness and came here for some advice/shared experiences and what I got was a slap on the hands for not doing the proper research before asking a question that has been asked many times before. I had already read the thread Steve suggested along with many others and was only looking for some personal experiences as to how long it took the initial side effects of plaquenil to subside.

i am sorry you miss understood me.

i tried to be polite and helpfull.
by saying "please read", i meant that it might help you.

i did never mean to be negative or complain.

i hope you find the answers you are seeking here.
i am sorry if you feel the need to go elsewhere.

Thank you for responding. I know things don't always come across the way we intend.

I would only suggest that care be taken in wording responses. I had no intention of debating the "evils of plaquenil" and perhaps the assumption that it would go there should not outweigh the opportunity to be helpful and supportive.

debbie-b
03-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Hi wowthird,

I am sorry, that you misunderstood. Steve is always very helpful and always answers a post.
This is the best forum there is, because we have nothing but helpful, caring people.

As for your question. I took plaquenil for about a year and stopped, because it didn't help me at all. Which happens sometimes. But when I was taking it, I had no major problems, in the beginning, for about a week, I had diarrhea, after that I was fine. It effects different people in different ways.
For instant, I can tolerate just about any meds, but if my husband takes ONE prescription painpill, he sleeps for 15 hours strait.
I wish that plaquenil will help you and that the side effects will subside.

Debbie

magistramarla
03-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Welcome to WHL.
I read this thread last night, but I was tired and I wanted to give Mari a chance to answer, since she is a moderator. I'm glad that I waited, since you gave us some more information.
First of all, I was a La Leche League Leader and a midwife's assistant in the '80s. I was a proponent of babywearing and I practiced it with my own babies, beginning with "wearing" my firstborn to college classes during my senior year. I understand where you are coming from.
Since you are babywearing, I'm going to guess that you might still be a nursing Mom. I know from experience that my cycles were all over the place when they started to come back while I was nursing, and that it took an extremely long time for me to have any semblance of regular cycles after my last one weaned.

Also, autoimmune diseases can play havoc with our hormones. We have very young members here, 20 years old or less, who are experiencing hot flashes. Endometriosis and ovarian cysts seem to be very common with AI diseases, too. I've also seen several of our members complaining of very early symptoms of peri-menopause, sometimes before the age of 30. I'm 54, and I'm in the middle of it. I'll have no cycle for 5 or 6 months and think Yeah, it's over and then have two or three regular cycles in a row. One might be very painful and then the next two very light, then I'm back to skipping several. It's maddening.

Plaquenil can have some unpleasant side-effects, especially for the first few months. I did have some sudden, severe cramping a few hours after taking it, and sudden bouts of diarrhea, often while I was teaching a classroom full of teens! I had to ease into taking it, starting with half pills and working up to a whole one. I still only take one per day. I can't tell you when the Plaquenil stopped irritating my stomach, because my doc added in MTX three months later, and that stuff is really tough on the gastric system. Now that I'm off of the MTX, the plaquenil never phases me. I don't know whether to blame the meds or just the AI diseases, but I do have to take a Prilosec every day now. I used to never have indigestion, even when pregnant, but now I have gastric reflux.

What I'm getting at is that your pain could have any number of causes. It might be the Plaquenil and you might need to talk to your doc about easing into it the way I did. You could also be having some symptoms of ovarian cysts or endometriosis, courtesy of your AI disease. If you notice the pain getting worse and continuing to happen at the same time as your monthly cycle, have a talk with your gynecologist.

We have a few young Moms here who are juggling parenthood with dealing with these aggravating diseases. I'm sure that they can tell you about their experiences. They have my admiration - I'm really glad that I wasn't diagnosed with this stuff until long after my kids were grown. I hope that you come back and make their acquaintance, since I think that you might have some very good parenting insights to share.

I'm sorry that none of us ladies saw this thread right away. Steve is very sweet and was trying to be helpful, as is usual for him. It is also very usual for us to greet a "newbie" and tell them to read the stickys and any old threads that interest them, and then to feel free to ask questions and join into our conversations. Sometimes we get newbies who have never been on an internet forum before. Besides already being overwhelmed with their diagnosis, they can be overwhelmed by too many people giving them too much information at once. What Steve told you is sort of standard operating procedure for us.
However, all questions and questioners are embraced. We really do consider ourselves to be a cyber family here and we try to support each other to the best of our abilities.
I hope that this helped to answer your questions. I also really hope that you come back and read this!
Hugs,
Marla

wowthird
03-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Thank you Maria and Debbie for sharing your experiences with Plaquenil with me. After the first two initial days of pretty severe discomfort, I have not experienced it again. I continue to recover from an aggravated back issue, but think that the new medication is not giving me any significant side effects thus far. I am grateful for this, though Debbie's response gives me some anxiety since I had not considered that it might not work.

Maria, it is nice to hear that you were a babywearing mama. I only discovered it with my last child ( I have three ) whom I had at the ripe old age of 42. So I guess that puts me in the perimenopausal group versus young mother. I am sorry you are both dealing with this, but am grateful for some insight into what I can anticipate in my own journey.

tgal
03-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Thank you Maria and Debbie for sharing your experiences with Plaquenil with me. After the first two initial days of pretty severe discomfort, I have not experienced it again. I continue to recover from an aggravated back issue, but think that the new medication is not giving me any significant side effects thus far. I am grateful for this, though Debbie's response gives me some anxiety since I had not considered that it might not work.

Maria, it is nice to hear that you were a babywearing mama. I only discovered it with my last child ( I have three ) whom I had at the ripe old age of 42. So I guess that puts me in the perimenopausal group versus young mother. I am sorry you are both dealing with this, but am grateful for some insight into what I can anticipate in my own journey.

It takes anywhere from 3-6 months for the full effects of Plaquenil to work. It is slow but it does work for the majority

Shine
03-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Hi wowthird,

I started taking plaq recently and shortly after I started my period, about two weeks too early! It was pretty long and heavy but that does happen sometimes. No further updates as I'm still waiting for the next one....

running girl
03-18-2012, 06:45 AM
I noticed a significant change in frequency of my periods when I went on plaquenil. That was only for the first couple of months though. Everything is back to normal now.

It took a long time before I felt a change from the plaquenil. But it's working.

magistramarla
03-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Hi Wowthird,
Once again, I hope that you came back to read this thread.
My daughter is expecting a baby in October, after seven years of trying. She has a 12 year old son from her first marriage, and she learned a lot of natural parenting tips from the old Mom at the time. Now, she and Steve (who is working on his Masters in child psychology) are busy researching parenting philosophies. He is thrilled with Attachment Parenting (and his Mom-in-law is thrilled with him!). I promised Hillary that I would ask you for the link to your babywearing support site. I think that they would love to join. Thanks!
Hugs,
Marla

Shine
03-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I am grateful for this, though Debbie's response gives me some anxiety since I had not considered that it might not work.

I was put off by this initially. But what else have we got? It's worth a chance because if it does work then this drug will be amazing for us. Barely any side effects?! How awesome would that be! Most drugs have crippling side effects. Come on, it's worth a shot. I'm waiting for the good days to be more frequent. Think of everything you want to acheive from this drug, don't pick the negatives before you've even given it 6 months. It's so frickin hard to stay positive. But that's why this forum is here. If you can't stay positive we'll try our best to pick you up again.

wowthird
03-18-2012, 05:26 PM
It takes anywhere from 3-6 months for the full effects of Plaquenil to work. It is slow but it does work for the majority

I have heard mostly great things about this medication and am hopeful it will help me.

Hi wowthird,

I started taking plaq recently and shortly after I started my period, about two weeks too early! It was pretty long and heavy but that does happen sometimes. No further updates as I'm still waiting for the next one....

I noticed a significant change in frequency of my periods when I went on plaquenil. That was only for the first couple of months though. Everything is back to normal now.

It took a long time before I felt a change from the plaquenil. But it's working.

Thanks for this input. My cycles are pretty wonky anyway with my age, I suppose. It will be hard to differentiate what the actual "cause" might be.

Hi Wowthird,
Once again, I hope that you came back to read this thread.
My daughter is expecting a baby in October, after seven years of trying. She has a 12 year old son from her first marriage, and she learned a lot of natural parenting tips from the old Mom at the time. Now, she and Steve (who is working on his Masters in child psychology) are busy researching parenting philosophies. He is thrilled with Attachment Parenting (and his Mom-in-law is thrilled with him!). I promised Hillary that I would ask you for the link to your babywearing support site. I think that they would love to join. Thanks!
Hugs,
Marla

http://www.thebabywearer.com/index.php This is the site I spent A LOT of time on when I was using woven wraps with my son. He is going to be 4 in July, so I don't visit like I used to. There is a nice "buy and sell" forum there for several different types of carriers. There are also forums that address typical parenting concerns and questions. I am not as "attachment" as many of the moms there and went mostly to see new wraps and buy and sell. There are some aspects of attachment parenting that I participate in such as not doing any sort of cry it out and we don't vaccinate. But other things did not appeal to me such as co-sleeping and cloth diapering. It is a diverse group though.

QUOTE FROM SHINE ( I accidentally deleted the way to make it in blue)
"I was put off by this initially. But what else have we got? It's worth a chance because if it does work then this drug will be amazing for us. Barely any side effects?! How awesome would that be! Most drugs have crippling side effects. Come on, it's worth a shot. I'm waiting for the good days to be more frequent. Think of everything you want to acheive from this drug, don't pick the negatives before you've even given it 6 months. It's so frickin hard to stay positive. But that's why this forum is here. If you can't stay positive we'll try our best to pick you up again."

One thing I will add is that I have a strong faith in God and know that His hand is on me whatever my reaction to this medication might be. I am a half-full cup kinda girl, so I feel pretty positive.

Thanks for your responses and input.

magistramarla
03-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Wowthird,
Many thanks! I've already sent the link to Hillary.
Good luck with Plaquenil. I think that you will find that it is helpful after a while.
Keep us informed of how you're doing.
Hugs,
Marla

wowthird
04-02-2012, 07:10 PM
bumping with another question....anyone get refluxy symptoms from this? I have a bit of trouble anyway, but am finding it increasing quite a bit. Just wondered if it went along with all the other GI issues. Though it is treating me rather well and I am very thankful!

magistramarla
04-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Oh yes, refluxy is the word!
I never did have much indigestion, even when pregnant, and I've always been able to eat anything and everything. Now, the reflux is a pain, but I still eat everything - I refuse to give that up. I truly hate taking a daily Prilosec, but now I need to do it.
I was recently given the tip to drink aloe vera juice to "coat" my stomach before taking the plaquenil. I drink it mixed with cherry and berry juice, since aloe vera alone is bitter. It has helped me a lot with the indigestion!
Hugs,
Marla

wowthird
04-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks Maria. I had horrible reflux with all of my pregnancies, so I suppose I am more likely to have it be a side effect if there is potential. So far it is only occasional, so I hope to be able to avoid another pill if I possibly can. Thanks for your response!

magistramarla
04-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Try the aloe vera juice. It might help you to avoid that extra pill.
Hugs,
Marla