PDA

View Full Version : New member w/Celiac + microscopic colitis...possibly lupus also.

isasmommy
02-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Glad to find this forum! I am 24 yo who has been having problems since 15 (mostly stomach related) finally 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac and have been gluten free since then. However, over the last year I have gotten worse and had a flare of inflammation which was at first thought to possibly be crohn's. However, it is not crohn's and instead they diagnosed me with microscopic colitis (inflammation of the bowel) as well as maintained my Celiac diagnosis (small intestine involvement).

The joint pain and fatigue got worse and my GI did the ANA which was positive (1:320) then referred me to a rheumy. Here are my newest results and will be seeing the rheumy in two weeks:

ENA Ab (anti-RNP +, anti-Ro +), anti-dsDNA + , anti-cardiolipin (IgG + IgM) +

I am wondering how many of you that have been diagnosed with Lupus started off like me with joint pain and fatigue. I am not sure if I have a rash or not, I have noticed a blushing of my cheeks area and also I do have something that made the rheumy ask me if I have a family history of psoriasis (on my legs and arms extremely dry skin with red bumps).

I am married, with a 2 yo and in school and this is all wearing me down right now. I am worried about how all of this will affect my future and my family.

Thanks!

steve.b
02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
hi isasmommy.

welcome.

many of us have overlapping diseases, and many of the problems are symptoms for more than 1 disease.

i first went to my doctor because of joint pain and irritable bowel.

please read the thread on the list of auto immune diseases.
having a rash is usual for most lupus patients...... but not all.
i do not have a rash on my cheeks at all.

again welcome.

tgal
02-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone,

Glad to find this forum! I am 24 yo who has been having problems since 15 (mostly stomach related) finally 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac and have been gluten free since then. However, over the last year I have gotten worse and had a flare of inflammation which was at first thought to possibly be crohn's. However, it is not crohn's and instead they diagnosed me with microscopic colitis (inflammation of the bowel) as well as maintained my Celiac diagnosis (small intestine involvement).

The joint pain and fatigue got worse and my GI did the ANA which was positive (1:320) then referred me to a rheumy. Here are my newest results and will be seeing the rheumy in two weeks:

ENA Ab (anti-RNP +, anti-Ro +), anti-dsDNA + , anti-cardiolipin (IgG + IgM) +

I am wondering how many of you that have been diagnosed with Lupus started off like me with joint pain and fatigue. I am not sure if I have a rash or not, I have noticed a blushing of my cheeks area and also I do have something that made the rheumy ask me if I have a family history of psoriasis (on my legs and arms extremely dry skin with red bumps).

I am married, with a 2 yo and in school and this is all wearing me down right now. I am worried about how all of this will affect my future and my family.

Thanks!

HI and welcome to WHL! We are sorry that you have to be here but glad that you found your way here. I think joint pain and fatigue is something almost all of us can relate to. We lovingly refer to the fatigue as "lead blanket fatigue" where it feels like there is this heavy lead blanket on top of you and there is nothing you can do to get it off.

Yes, we know and we will be happy to be here with you as you go on this journey. Welcome to our WHL family. I look forward to getting to know you

magistramarla
02-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Hi Isasmommy,
Welcome to WHL. I'm familiar with the overlapping diseases. Mine are Lupus, RA. Sjogren's and Psoriasis. Psoriatic Arthritis can cause a lot of joint problems as well as skin and scalp sores. Luckily, most of our AI diseases are treated with the same meds. Plaquenil has kept my skin problems to a minimum and my joints are much better. The fatigue comes and goes for me. Some days are like today - I was out and about, feeling pretty darned good. Other days, I find it hard to leave the couch all day.
Hugs,
Marla

isasmommy
02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the replies, it is nice to feel welcome! :)

tgal (or Mari?): describing fatigue as a "lead blanket" is exactly how I have felt. That is a great description for it! It is just so odd to feel this way this now when before I had been so active and full of energy.

I had learned that it was more likely to get an autoimmune disease if you already had one but I didn't know it was this common since I seem to be one of the only ones in my family with this many AI problems. It is nice to be able to hear about how others deal with these issues.

rob
03-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Hi Isasmommy,

Welcome to WHL! I have overlapping autoimmune disorders as well-SLE and MS, with a side of TN thrown in to keep things interesting. The lead blanket fatigue and joint pain is something I can definitely relate to. Those were two of my main symptoms when I got the SLE diagnosis back in 2004.

Please make yourself at home here!

Rob

PS-Everytime someone uses the awesome and accurate term Lead Blanket Fatigue, Rob gets paid a royalty-I like chocolate chip cookies... (insert smiley face)