PDA

View Full Version : UTI or Lupus Nephritis?

magistramarla
02-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Hey everyone,
I've been asked a question on FB to which I don't have the answer. I hope that someone here can help out.
How can one tell the difference between a "simple" UTI and the symptoms of Lupus Nephritis?
Does anyone have any ideas?
Hugs,
Marla

lizbond36
03-03-2012, 06:35 PM
great question, I have tons of uti. I hope someone can tell us

tgal
03-03-2012, 09:16 PM
The simple answer is that there are seldom any symptoms one can feel of kidney failure. If there is pain or difficulty in urination it is most likely a UTI. They should check with their doctor though

SleepyInSeattle
03-03-2012, 10:14 PM
This is a snarky answer, and kinda sick humor, but I saw it on another Lupus site -
Lupus nephritis tries to kill you...
UTI's just make you WISH you were dead....

From what I know, nephritis usually has very few symptoms...but a UTI will make you MISERABLE....unfortunately, I have had about 50 of them over the last 25 years. If you have urgency, burning, aching bladder and/or back...go to your doc ASAP and get tested. In the meantime, drink TONS of water, and there's an OTC medicine called "Cystex" that will help the symptoms. It will NOT cure the infection - you need a prescription for that.

I hope that neither one is the case....but I guess if you have to have one, the UTI is less harmful.

Go see your doc and let us know how you do...and I hope you feel better soon!!!!!

magistramarla
03-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the answers. I thought that it sounded like she has a UTI. She's waiting for an appointment.
I know that it is no fun to have to wait when you're in that kind of pain.
Hugs,
Marla