PDA

View Full Version : Benlysta pros and cons ?

ashleybaby715
02-18-2012, 11:13 AM
hey everyone!
so for public speaking, i did my information speech on lupus (gotta spread awareness somehow right?) and one of my main points was about all of the medications. i came across an IV medication called Benlysta and honestly... i'm considering giving it a try.

has anyone switched to this medication? if so, what are some pros and cons for it?

thanks ! <3

Mica
02-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Ive heard good things about it, but I don't know all the pros and cons. If it wasn't for the lack of money and insurance right now id be on that now.

steve.b
02-18-2012, 06:56 PM
there is a thread started by another member, who is on benlysta.
we also have another new member who is on it.
sorry i cannot remember names at the moment.

i may have it wrong, but from what i hear,
it is designed to help those with more severe complications.
it is designed to reduce the stronger problems.
it does not cure you completely, but reduces problems to almost zero.

magistramarla
02-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Ashley,
I've heard and read some of the same things that Steve mentioned. It is so new and expensive that most insurance companies aren't willing to pay for it yet, so most of us have to wait for a while before thinking of trying it.
I'm hoping that there are lots of success stories.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
02-19-2012, 08:14 AM
The WHL member who goes by the username slim, has taken Benlysta, and started a blog about it. Here's a couple of links-

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/entry.php?379-Had-my-first-Benlysta-treatment

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/entry.php?381-Benlysta-round-2

The drug is quite new, so there isn't a whole lot of firsthand experience available yet, and as far as I know, slim is the first
and only WHL member who has tried the drug at this point.

Rob

tgal
02-19-2012, 12:16 PM
The one thing that I do know about this drug is that they are unclear if it should be taken by people with severe kidney involvement or those with CNS issues. Make sure to talk to your doctor about that

ashleybaby715
02-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Thank you everyone!
I will be contacting Slim to ask about it :)