PDA

View Full Version : Lupus, Osteoporosis and Lower Back Pain

chinadoll
02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Hello, everyone:

I have osteoporosis of the spine and hips along with Lupus, and I was wondering if anyone here has suffered a stress fracture or vertebral fracture of any kind? I don't know if the sudden pain in my back is a strained muscle or if I should have it checked for a fracture. I have read that sometimes something as small as lifting a box (which I did yesterday) can cause a fracture. Since I have never had back trouble, this is totally new for me and I am not sure what to do. The pain is pretty intense and it came on suddenly.

Thanks for any insight you can give!

SleepyInSeattle
02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't have osteoporosis, but I have had a lot of problems with my S-I joint (sacro-iliac - not sure of the spelling, LOL - basically, where your pelvis ties in with your spine...), and my Rheum actually did an X-ray as part of the diagnosis, because I guess S-I trouble can be associated with Lupus? I dunno....the X-rays were inconclusive one way or the other - but I have had some serious trouble and been to physical therapy several times over the last several years to deal with pain.

Sometimes it's mild pain that just eats at me - sometimes it's like a muscle strain, and sometimes it feels like somebody nailed me in the back with the edge of a shovel. One time, I was in the middle of a horse pasture and I bent over to pick up a rock about the size of an egg...something slid out of place and I could...not...MOVE. I had to sink to my knees, in excruciating pain - I was sweating and panting - I could not even take a full breath. The horses thought i was nuts, LOL....After about 15 minutes I managed to crawl an inch at a time to the fence and after another 20 minutes I could pull myself back to my feet and shuffle, bent over, to the barn and get into a chair. I popped 3 ibuprofen and just kinda sat there, trying to breathe and maybe realign stuff a little. I did eventually (with help) get tot he car and get to the doc, but it was UGLY. He said my pelvis was almost 2" out of whack that time - but he fixed it!

The good news is that the PT worked REALLY WELL, and as long as I am careful and stay strong in my core, I tend not to have problems. It meant changing some habits, though.

I dunno if that's what's going on with you at all, but I guess I'm just sharing my experience in case it's helpful. It may or may not be tied to the lupus - but man, if you think you cracked something in your spine, DON'T MESS AROUND....get it checked ASAP.

I am sorry you're hurting.... :-(

tgal
02-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Please remember that steroids, as well as some of our other meds, cause our bones to deteriorate. Always get your bones checked and I would suggest you go have it looked at

magistramarla
02-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Kathie Lea,
I second what Mari said. Steroids are a major cause of Avascular Necrosis (death of the bone). I managed to get AVN without taking steroids, so I can never take them.
If you've been taking them for a long time, it might be worthwhile to ask for a bone scan to check for AVN.
Hugs,
Marla