PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of you Rob

tgal
02-07-2012, 09:39 AM
I just wanted to make a place so we could all let you know that we are thinking about you and your family today. I know the surgery is going on and I want you to know that all of you are on our hearts

rob
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Dad is in the recovery room. Surgery took about 3 hours. Everything went very well, there were no surprises, and no sign of any cancer spreading. What cancer they did take out, was in the surgeon's words "nicely killed" by the previous radiation and chemo.

Everything so far has gone as well as it can go, and the hardest part of today is now behind us. We'll be able to see dad later this afternoon. He should be in his room and able to see visitors by the morning. Today was far less stressful than I thought it would be. Mom is very relaxed, and not stressed much at all.

Thanks for thinking of us Mari,

Rob

tgal
02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I am so glad it went well!!!! Thanks for updating us!!

Manderson
02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Best wishes Rob!

kim,l
02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
i am glad things went so wel you and your family are in my thoughts take care of yourself hugs

Nonna
02-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Glad it went well. Will keep your family in my prayers for a while.

Hugs

steve.b
02-07-2012, 08:30 PM
good thoughts comming your way.
may dad have a text book recovery.

magistramarla
02-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Rob,
It sounds like things are going well - I am so glad!
Your Dad is a truly strong man - that must be why you are one also. Wish him a fast recovery from me.
Now, take some time to pamper yourself a bit before he comes home from the hospital.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
02-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Everything went well, but damn, he's hurting. Says the pain is far worse than the bypass operation last year. For him to actually complain that it hurts, means it really does hurt.

All the technical stuff is good, and on paper he's OK, he's just really uncomfortable. We're heading back over in the morning, and hopefully they will have adjusted his pain meds to allow him at least a few hours sleep.

What a day it's been. I'm glad it's almost over.

Rob

magistramarla
02-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Time for a Guinness?

rob
02-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Time for a Guinness?

Time for a couple.

BonusMom
02-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Just keep it on tap with the mugs in the freezer at home. It'll save you cab fare and from falling off the bar stool!

Know that my thoughts are with you and your family as you tackle the little "c" (thereby diminishing it's power) and sending it's butt down the road.

debbie-b
02-08-2012, 04:32 AM
That is good news, the surgery is over and nothing bad was found. You can't ask for anything better than that.
I was thinking about you guys all day yesterday.

Debbie

Trish91171
02-08-2012, 05:53 AM
So glad to hear that things went well yesterday Rob, now will be hoping and praying that the pain will be short lived and they can find him something to ease it! Take care of yourself as well!!!!!

Trish

rob
02-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Just got a call. They moved Dad to the ICU around 3am. Pain meds have not been working, and his heart rate is extremely high and he's having a-fib. Frak.

I'm headed over there now.

BonusMom
02-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Frak is right. Drive careful. My thoughts are with you.

red246
02-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Sending prayers!

rob
02-08-2012, 03:18 PM
He's doing better. he slept most of the day. Pain is undercontrol, heartbeat is back near where it shoudl be. He's loopy as hell from all the pain meds, but he's OK.
Another long day. Bedtime for me.

BonusMom
02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
What a rollercoaster! Glad they got the pain managed and the heartbeat a little closer to normal.

Don't forget to eat. And take your meds. And tell Karen how much you adore her. Ladies love to hear that stuff, even when it's NOT Valentine's Day.

Still sending good vibes.....

steve.b
02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
it is normal to have a little hickup just after surgery.
i am glad they got on top of it so quickly.
doctors say they dont know why it happens....
but everyone i know who has had similar invasive surgery has had it.
i believe it has something to do with the body and shock.

tgal
02-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Just remember that we are here for you just as you are there for him

red246
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
So glad to hear that they got things under control!

magistramarla
02-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Rob,
Hang in there, my friend. It sounds like your Dad is staying tough. Things will start to get better.
We're all here to listen when you need to vent.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

rob
02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Dad is finally making some forward progress,

The pain is now manageable, and his heart rate is back into an acceptable range. So, he's being moved out of the ICU and back into the regular recovery wing. We visited for a couple of hours today, and although he's loopy from all the meds, he's much more himself again. He's eating, getting good sleep, and went for a very short assisted walk today. Also, he has one of those gadgets (I don't know what it's called) that you blow into with a floating ping-pong ball looking thing in a clear tube. It's for breathing exercises and to measure lung capacity. He's able to make the little ball thing float nearly twice as long as he was able to yesterday.

This is all quite a relief, and I'm cautiously optimistic that the worst is behind him at this point.

Thanks everyone for all the support.

Rob

BonusMom
02-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Hurray! I'm so pleased!

steve.b
02-09-2012, 06:50 PM
this is good new indeed.

now the fun journey of rehab.
time for dads cheeky wit with the nurses.

red246
02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Great news, Rob! Thanks for the update.

rob
02-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Today was like you've been holding your breath for too long, and then at long last you come back to the surface to exhale.
He's not out of the woods yet, but he is getting closer.

Near the end of our visit today, a doctor I've never met came into Dad's room and introduced himself. I was a bit concerned
at first, but then he said that he has an antique car he's thinking about having restored, and he wanted Dad's advice on a few
things. Well, dad smiled and was suddenly back in his element, happy to talk shop.

That was the best thing I've seen since Tuesday morning when this latest chapter started. It means that he's getting better,
and getting back to his usual self.

It was a good day.

Rob

magistramarla
02-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Rob,
Yeah!! That doc probably did more for your Dad's recovery than anybody else! Just getting his mind off of the pain and all of the medical issues and acknowledging his expertise was the best thing for him. I'm so glad to get this bit of great news.
I hope that you are getting home and getting as much rest as possible yourself.
Take care.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

rob
02-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Rob,
Yeah!! That doc probably did more for your Dad's recovery than anybody else! Just getting his mind off of the pain and all of the medical issues and acknowledging his expertise was the best thing for him. I'm so glad to get this bit of great news.
I hope that you are getting home and getting as much rest as possible yourself.
Take care.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

Yeah, it was like this fellow wasn't a doctor, and this isn't the hospital. The doc was a fellow gearhead, and the hospital room was a garage or a car show. Putting Dad back into his element really brought back the spark and the passion for what he loves. It's such a good thing to see.

debbie-b
02-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Oh Rob, that is great news. He will get better every day now. This was a major surgery and recovery takes a little longer. I know from my sister that the first few days were very tough.

Debbie

rob
02-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Progress is slow. One step forward, and two back. But, I just have to keep telling myself that it is indeed progress, even if it's painfully slow.

I wasn't prepared for what I saw when the surgery was done and he was in the recovery room last Tuesday. I've never seen him in that kind of pain before. For a few seconds I thought I was in the wrong room, because I didn't recognize him. All the fluids they gave him during surgery blows you up like a balloon.

I've been told I look like a jittery nervous wreck lately. All this stuff gets to me I guess. How could it not? This is an emotional rollercoaster for all of us.

I just want Dad to get better, go home happy, healthy, and free of this f-ing cancer.

magistramarla
02-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Rob,
OK, now I'm worried about you. I'm afraid that once Dad is out of the woods, you are going to have a huge meltdown and flare.
Give it a premptive strike. Go see your rheumy and see if there is something that you can do now before you really get sick -OK?
That said, it does sound like your Dad is getting better - just more slowly than you would like.
Hang in there, my friend.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

tgal
02-12-2012, 09:47 PM
It is completely understandable to feel concerned but as we have spoken about before, and Marla mentioned just now, you have to take care of yourself as well. You will be no good to anyone if you don't.

Never forget that we are here for you.

kim,l
02-12-2012, 10:54 PM
rob i am sorry you are on this rollercoaster i understand how you feel to a certain extent due to whats happening to stephen with his heart i am scared to and hate to see the way he looks at times trouble is we want them to be the way they were but this is not possible and it can be frustrating, and it makes us tired and disheartened but i am with marla , and mari you need to look after youself i know i am flaring already and stephen has not had surgery yet. my friend you need to take care of you so you can be there for you dad. we worry about you because you are a big part of our family now. hugs kim

steve.b
02-13-2012, 05:34 AM
it is polite for a gentleman to agree with a lady........

the three ladies before me have told you what to do.

SO DO IT.
take care my friend.

rob
02-13-2012, 08:40 AM
I've been burning the candle at both ends lately. I guess it's caught up with me.

Dad has more than enough people coming to visit him, and keeping an eye on him everyday.

I can afford to take a couple of days off and not make the trek over to the med center.
He's doing a little better each day. I can disconnect for a couple of days, and stay home, starting today.

Rob

magistramarla
02-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Rob,
Relax a bit and take care of yourself. We're all here when you need to vent.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

rob
02-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Finally good news. Chest tube came out today. He's over the hump and doing better. Dad comes home tomorrow. Pathology report on the lymph nodes they removed showed zero cancer. Pathology report on the lung tumor is not in yet.

What a relief.

Having a flare right now, bad brainfog, but this has lifted my spirits. It's been a real rollercoaster.

BonusMom
02-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Awesome possum! I would do a cartwheel for your dad if only I knew how :-)!

steve.b
02-15-2012, 08:53 PM
so is it time for you and dad to rest in beds, beside each other.

good news on dad.
please take care of yourself.

Saysusie
02-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Rob, I am so sorry to hear that the flare up, that we hoped you would not suffer, has come to pass. I am so truly happy that your Dad's surgery was a success, that the cancer removed was "nicely killed", that no new cancer was found in the lymph nodes and I am sure that the pathology on the lung cancer will also be good news. I know that his coming home will relieve a lot of your stress. But, as you mentioned yourself, you've been burning the candles at both ends and under a tremendous amount of stress. It is, truly, time for you to take a couple of days..completely shut down and take care of yourself. It is very important that you do so and that you give this as much effort as you've given your candle burning.
You have been through so much and have been a "rock" for your Dad. But, you said that even your family have noticed that you've lately been like a jittery nervous wreck...that is not good and you must take steps to lessen your stress..now.
Each time that an issue has occurred with your Dad, it has not been as dreadful as you imagined it would be. I can't tell you how happy I am that this has been the truth for him so many times and I continue to pray that it will remain this way. It would not do for you to have a set-back after your Dad has seen so many successes! I know that you want the cancer to just go away, but until it does..give thanks for each piece of good news that you get, expect more good news, and take care of yourself..we need and love you!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Rob,
Good news about Dad! However, SaySusie said it all when she said that you need to shut down and care for yourself for a bit.
I told Jeff about your Dad and he immediately sent me a link to a study about chemo:
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-02-short-fasting-chemotherapy-mice.html
Knowing him, it's probably just the first! That is how he deals with my medical issues - he goes into research mode.
Anyway, both Jeff and I are wishing your Dad a speedy recovery.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

Oluwa
02-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Rob..

I just read this post on your Dad's progress. I am happy to know your Dad will be coming home and the surgery was a success. I know the emotions of a roller coaster..like touch and gos in airplane no wonder you are in a flare. Take care of you too. Be well, keep well. Uplifting your Dad, you in my prayers for a fast healing... Hugs..

debbie-b
02-16-2012, 11:55 AM
That is very good news, that there is no cancer in the lymph nodes. I bet he is happy to go home.
Like everybody else said, take care of yourself.

Debbie

rob
02-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Well, he's home! Sore as hell, and grouchy, but he's finally home. He just inhaled a 6" sub sandwich, so he's got an appetite, which is a very good sign. His cat, Smudge, missed him terribly, so Smudge is a happy camper today. Dad is also talking cars again, a sure sign he's on the mend.

As for me, I am very, very relieved that this particular milestone has been reached. I think I'll go take a nap now, for a month! Actually, I think I'll watch a bit of the Star Trek TNG marathon that's on SyFy today, then take a nap...

Rob

red246
02-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Rob - So happy to hear that your dad is doing better! Rest up! (((hugs)))

Oluwa
02-16-2012, 03:08 PM
All will be well, Rob...Was that a Subway, Quiznos....or Jersey Mike sandwich. Thinking of you, your Dad and family. OX

magistramarla
02-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Actually, I think I'll watch a bit of the Star Trek TNG marathon that's on SyFy today, then take a nap...
Rob

Ah, A man after my own heart! You definitely have the right priorities.
It sounds like things will continue to improve for your Dad. Since he's home, I'm sure that you will be less stressed.
I hope that you enjoyed that Star Trek and that you are getting rested up.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
02-28-2012, 08:15 PM
I have another update, and I'm hoping that this may be one of the last ones on this subject. I've been very hesitant to talk about this, as there have been more than a few pieces of supposedly wonderful news that turned out to be very wrong in this process. The learning curve for accepting and coping has been short, and steep.

However, we saw the Oncologist and the Surgeon yesterday, and they are quite sure that dad's surgery removed all the cancer and anything that could be cancerous in the area. The post operative pathology report supports this conclusion.

Dad has now made major progress in his recovery from the surgery. He's tapering off the pain meds, he's walking more each day, and his appetite is back big time. He's talking about cars, playing with his cat Smudge, and driving my mom crazy at times-all are sure signs that he's getting back to his old self.

He's recovered enough to start the post-operative maintenance chemotherapy next week. After this second round of large dose chemo, he could very well be lung cancer free. I've learned to be realistic, and realize that unforseen setbacks can happen. But at this point, my family does feel a huge sense of relief that the worst of this is probably behind him, behind us. When I saw him today, the spring was almost completely back in his step. The old dad I know so well, is nearly back.

Rob

tgal
02-28-2012, 09:24 PM
I have another update, and I'm hoping that this may be one of the last ones on this subject. I've been very hesitant to talk about this, as there have been more than a few pieces of supposedly wonderful news that turned out to be very wrong in this process. The learning curve for accepting and coping has been short, and steep.

However, we saw the Oncologist and the Surgeon yesterday, and they are quite sure that dad's surgery removed all the cancer and anything that could be cancerous in the area. The post operative pathology report supports this conclusion.

Dad has now made major progress in his recovery from the surgery. He's tapering off the pain meds, he's walking more each day, and his appetite is back big time. He's talking about cars, playing with his cat Smudge, and driving my mom crazy at times-all are sure signs that he's getting back to his old self.

He's recovered enough to start the post-operative maintenance chemotherapy next week. After this second round of large dose chemo, he could very well be lung cancer free. I've learned to be realistic, and realize that unforseen setbacks can happen. But at this point, my family does feel a huge sense of relief that the worst of this is probably behind him, behind us. When I saw him today, the spring was almost completely back in his step. The old dad I know so well, is nearly back.

Rob

Wonderful news! Thank you for keeping us updated. You and your family are always in my thoughts

magistramarla
02-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Awww Rob,
This is such great news! I think that a lot of us here have felt like we were going through all of this right along with you and your family.
It is such a relief to know that Dad is healing and will be getting back to normal.
I know that you're feeling relieved, and I'm happy for you.
Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
02-28-2012, 09:45 PM
i am happy for the news.

hugs to you, my friend.

debbie-b
02-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Very good news. He is getting closer to the end of this aweful journey, he is almost there.
Hang in there, the pay off is closer than you think.
My sister feels, like she has won the lottery.

Debbie

rob
03-07-2012, 05:36 AM
Monday afternoon Dad had his first post-op chemotherapy session. Yesterday he could barely stand up, then he became short of breath and started turning blue. The homecare nurse was there when this happened, and she called 911 immediately. Blood oxygen levels were so low it would not even register on the machine. Blood pressure dropped, and his heart went into a bad arythmia. Ambulance took him to the ER.

He has pulmonary edema which means your lungs fill with fluid and your body stops getting the oxygen it needs. He is in the ICU, and is in pretty bad shape. As of last night he still was not stable and was still not getting enough oxygen in his blood. Heart rate, and blood pressure are all over the place. Things are not good.

He was doing so well. I don't understand how things can go so terribly wrong so quickly. We went from this whole thing being almost behind him, to this. I'm heading back over to the hospital shortly. I don't know what's going to happen. I just don't know.

Rob

debbie-b
03-07-2012, 05:40 AM
Oh Rob, I am sorry for this set back and pray for his recovery.

Debbie

steve.b
03-07-2012, 06:38 AM
it is hard to understand the "why".

you may never find a reason behind it.
i hope dad has a speedy recovery.
and you manage to reduce your wory "stress".

thinking of you and dad.

red246
03-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Rob,

I know it's so hard to see the ones we love suffering. Thinking of you & your family and sending prayers for your dad!

BonusMom
03-07-2012, 07:08 AM
Oh Rob, how my heart hurts to read this news.

The complexities of the human body are just mind blowing.

Know that you and your family are in my thoughts.

Saysusie
03-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Rob;
I know that this has been such an emotional roller coaster for you, your family and especially your Dad. Please know that you are all in my prayers and I truly hope that the fluid is reduced and his oxygen levels return to normal. Like you, it so hard to understand how things can be going so well and turn around so suddenly.
We are all waiting to hear from you and praying that he is stable and that you are OK. Sending you our love, our care, and our prayers.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

rob
03-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

So far, there have been no significant changes in Dad's condition. Nothing they are doing is helping so far. He's still in the ICU, still not getting all the O2 he needs, and his heart is not pumping properly, which is causing more of the edema/fluid in the lungs to build up. And then, last night, he was coughing up blood for the second time since all this started Tuesday morning.

He was able to talk a bit yesterday. He asked how our cats (his and mine) are doing, and he told me all he wants is to get out of that place and get back to living his life. This was good to hear. It tells me he's still very much in the fight, and not about to give up, despite how bad things have become.

The prognosis and outcome is one big grey area right now.

Rob

BonusMom
03-08-2012, 08:14 AM
I love your Dad's fighting spirit.

Hugs to you all.

bunny28
03-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Hope your dad is feeling less pain this morning. Take care of yourself in this stressful time.

steve.b
03-08-2012, 09:06 AM
i second bunny28's comment.

(we need a like button)

rob
03-08-2012, 06:10 PM
This afternoon was not too bad. I went in to visit, and he was sitting up and eating for the first time since Tuesday. Said it was the best applesauce he's ever had. He has O2 just with a nose tube, and not the full O2 mask-he can talk now and we can understand him. He just has to remember to breath through his nose, otherwise the 02 monitor drops below 80 and alarms start going off. When he sleeps, it's still the full mask, but at least now he can really talk, and use the phone.

They are trying a new "cocktail" of meds that will hopefully get his heart rate back into an acceptable area, and that will prevent more fluid in the lungs. The prognosis is still unknown, and we don't have any idea if, or even when he might come home. The reality still is, that he may be in the ICU for an extended period of time. I know that things can change suddenly. But today, we spent over an hour together shooting the breeze like we always do, and he was awake, alert, and happy. We talked current events, cars, flying, and rated todays nurses, like there wasn't a problem or care in the world.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be at least as good as today was. And if by chance it's even just a little bit better than yesterday, I will be very, very thankful.

Rob

magistramarla
03-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Rob,
I'm so sorry that I'm so late to notice the updates on this thread. I'm glad that your Dad is beginning to improve. It's so sad that you've all had to go through another scary time after things seemed to be improving so much. I hope that he keeps on improving and does much better this time. He has a great attitude.
Be sure to take care of yourself.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

kim,l
03-09-2012, 04:19 PM
dear rob sorry i am late catching up with you i am sorry your father has suffered setback i am glad his condition is improving. hopefully this will be the start for a good turnaround in your fathers condition glad he is still having his great chats with you he is a very extrodinary man with a great spirit take care of yourself my friend you and your father will be in my thoughts love kim.

rob
03-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Well, yesterday the Dr. told Dad and my family to prepare for an extended stay in the hospital. He can no longer walk, and he's on oxygen 24/7. The act of just shifting himself around in his bed exhausts him and makes his blood/oxygen level plummet badly. They cannot control the fluid in the lungs, it just keeps on happening. He's deteriorating, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. When he talks, his voice is so soft I can barely hear him. He is getting frustrated, and discouraged. He's not a person who is easily discouraged.

There's no good news, and no positive spin you can put on any of this. It just is. There's no instruction manual for dealing and coping with something like this.

Rob

debbie-b
03-12-2012, 08:17 AM
I am so sorry Rob. I don't really know, what to say,but just know, that my thoughts are with you.

Debbie

DrinkofWtr
03-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Rob, I went through something like this with my Dad, fluid build up in the lungs and the heart not pumping properly. I really feel for you. My Dad had the fighting spirit too. It's just so hard when a loved one goes through something like this. I just don't know what to say, except that my prayers are with you.

SleepyInSeattle
03-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Rob, I'm so sorry. What a rollercoaster. :-(

Sending every good wish to you, your dad, your whole family.....

Manderson
03-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Oh Rob, I am so sorry. It's the nature of the beast - and what a beast it is. :( My dad went very quickly at the end - v-fib. But right before that he was unable to walk without the aid of a walker. We had hospice at the house, but he passed within their first week.

I pray for you and your family.

magistramarla
03-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Rob,
I am so sorry to read this. There are never any words that can really help a family in this situation.
Just know that I'm here for you, as are many others here at WHL.
Take care of your family, and take good care of yourself.
Love & Hugs,
Marla

Saysusie
03-12-2012, 04:25 PM
rob,
you are absolutely correct, there are no words, no spin, and no perfectly formed assurances that will give you any real comfort at this time. i have been exactly where you are and can only say that i have some understanding of what you might be going through. all that i can do is to offer you my friendship, my prayers, and my hope that these pre precarious days are replaced with days filled with hope.
peace and blessings
saysusie

kim,l
03-12-2012, 07:48 PM
dear rob i am sorry about your fathers condition there is nothing i can say to make you feel any better other than being in my thoughts my friend and i am not religious but i will light a candle for your father and foryou luv kim

steve.b
03-12-2012, 09:29 PM
may i offer a cyber shoulder.

please take care.
and hug dad for me also.

Nonna
03-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Rob, my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Bigs cyber hugs being sent your way
Toni

DrinkofWtr
03-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Rob, I am lighting a candle for your Dad.

Oluwa
03-20-2012, 09:43 PM

☆ Love from the Sky ☆ ☆

☆ ☆ Guardian Angel from heaven so bright, ☆
☆ Fold thy wings round me, and guard me with love, ☆
Softly sing songs to me from heaven above.☆

Summoning your Dad's Guardian Angels.....in my prayers, thoughts your Dad, you and family are. In God we trust. Hugs and love from me and Jack in the Box.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7