PDA

View Full Version : 5 mg prednisolone

hating_that_pred
02-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Just a short one

Has anybody successfully gotten down to NO prednisolone?

Im on 5mg and have been for months.

steve.b
02-04-2012, 09:31 PM
i started onabout 20mg when first diagnosed.
i had 4 organs involved when first diagnosed.
i needed some after each operation i have had.
but i am not on any normally.

my main medication is plaquinel (daily) and methotrexate (weekly).
i know i am not the only one.

Mica
02-04-2012, 09:41 PM
You know ive heard that people do. My doctor has tried multiple times to get me down to none, I could never make it lower than 5mg before I got sick again.

hating_that_pred
02-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Hmmm interesting

I wonder if its worth attempting for me?

hating_that_pred
02-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Gday folks

Basically im just wondering what side effects people generally get from Prednisolone when only on 5mg.

Ive been on high amounts for long periods in the past and its been tough, 5mg is obviously alot easier to tolerate (if your lupus is in control that is). Ive been on steroids for 3 straight years now and have been on 5mg for a few months and I dont really remember what its like to be on none.

It would be handy if someone could share their knowledge on this topic, and if there are any noticeable differences from being on ZERO compared to being on 5mg.

Cheers lupus mates.

tgal
02-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I can't get down below 40 with MtX so I am not the one to talk to!

Desleywr
02-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I had a heart spasm on5. lots of constant talking no sleep until at least 2am.

Nonna
02-05-2012, 06:30 PM
I have made it off the pred. I'm taking MTX once a week with the plaquinel. It seems to be going good.

Good luck with your attempts to stay low or get off. But do what the docs say when it comes to meds

Hunniebun
02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I used to be on Prednisone and now I am on none and have been for quite a while. I didn't have any problems stopping at all. The only drugs I am taking right now are Amitriptaline that helps with fatigue and pain and the occasional Advil when I have pain that I can't bare anymore without a pain killer. I'm stubborn like that...I hate drugs.

tgal
02-06-2012, 12:25 PM
I used to be on Prednisone and now I am on none and have been for quite a while. I didn't have any problems stopping at all. The only drugs I am taking right now are Amitriptaline that helps with fatigue and pain and the occasional Advil when I have pain that I can't bare anymore without a pain killer. I'm stubborn like that...I hate drugs.

First let me commend you for finding a way to get off all of the meds. I must, however, point out that having to take drugs, pain pills or any other, is NOT a sign that you are week or less stubborn. Some people have no other option for awhile or may even be on some kind of maintenance program for the rest of their lives. Just as this disease is different for everyone, so are the meds that must be used to control it.

Hunniebun
02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
First let me commend you for finding a way to get off all of the meds. I must, however, point out that having to take drugs, pain pills or any other, is NOT a sign that you are week or less stubborn. Some people have no other option for awhile or may even be on some kind of maintenance program for the rest of their lives. Just as this disease is different for everyone, so are the meds that must be used to control it.

Very true. I am in pain every single day, but what I have done is learn to deal with it and just go through it without the meds. I am more of a putting my mind on something else kind of person to try to block how I feel, instead of relying on medication like my doctors would like me to. Back when I was on Pred I needed it because I had a lot of problems with swelling, and now its a lot less. It's not good on your stomach to take NSAIDS everyday anyway, which they also told me. I do talk about how I feel and what hurts a lot, but I try my best not to make it sound like I am complaining. I'll take the meds when I really need them, but otherwise I press on and choose to fight without as many meds as I can, but if I get sicker then of COURSE I'd get back on, you betcha.

Nat
02-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Hi There,
I spent 6 months on steroids early last year and tapered down to nothing by early September 2011. I haven't taken any steroids since then and haven't had any problems at all so far. There are some days where i get a little bit of stiffness or a random pain in a knee or finger but other than that have been pretty spot on. My tests all seem to be ok just lacking in vitamin D. Hopefully you can eventually get off them but everyone reacts to this in their own different way. good luck!