PDA

View Full Version : Medical ID bracelet?

Larette
01-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has been advised to wear a medical ID bracelet or has decided on their own to wear one. Is it a good idea?

tgal
01-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Hi there,

Welcome to WHL! I think several people here wear one and one even got a tatoo. At the very least you should always keep a list of meds in your purse because so many of our meds can cause issues with other meds.

I look forward to getting to know you and, once again, welcome to our WHL family!

Larette
01-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks so much, tgal, for the warm welcome.
It feels good knowing I'm not the only one out there going through all of this.
The familiar stories I am reading here are encouraging and comforting.
Thanks to all.

steve.b
01-27-2012, 09:38 PM
i recently had to have emergency medical treatment.
this treatment included surgery.

i have a list of medication in my wallet.

it made a dramatic difference to my medical staff.
it was copied by several different sections in the hospital.
they used different procedures and medications because of my lupus.

i reccommend some form of notification.
a medical alert bracelet is 1 option.

a very good option.

Larette
01-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks, Steve, that's encouraging.

I ordered one but felt a little silly when it came. Like, do I really need this?

But my original thinking when I ordered it was: what if I have a seizure or something happens with my kidneys or my heart and I'm unconscious? I would appear to medical professionals to be a normal, healthy looking young woman. But having 'lupus' and the medications I am taking on the bracelet would give them an idea of where to look first.
Not to mention the medications... so many drug interactions...

magistramarla
01-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi Mel.
Welcome to WHL. I was strongly urged to get one by my doc a few years ago when I was planning an overseas trip. I've been wearing it ever since, and I've had another overseas trip since then. I keep my medical ID bracelet with my watch, and now it's just second nature - I slip the watch and the bracelet on just before I walk out the door.
P.S. I have a scar on my arm from a muscle biopsy. My students loved it! They tried to convince me to tell the upcoming class of freshmen that I got it from breaking up a gang fight in the cafeteria! (yeah, I taught in a tough school!)
Hugs,
Marla

Desleywr
01-27-2012, 11:12 PM
I was thinking medic alert bracelets and when looking at them I couldn't find one that would take all the info. Can anyone give suggestions do I just put conditions or medications? Or what? I can carry a list in my bag but bracelet will warn them to look for more info. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Larette
01-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Des',
This is what I did, I got the "regular" style bracelet with my name, my condition and that I didn't have any allergies, then I wrote "see charms for current medications" since they will probably change at times.

Then, I purchased charms bracelet (with out the chain) each one with the meds I am on, how much/frequency. If I ever have to change meds I can just change the charms.

I purchased them through http://www.americanmedical-id.com

Larette
01-28-2012, 06:41 AM
So basically it looks like this...

tgal
01-28-2012, 09:11 AM
So basically it looks like this...

This is a great idea but if you don't want something so bulky just get the regular bracelet with Lupus/Allergies. You can add "see wallet/billfold for meds list."

Larette
01-28-2012, 09:18 AM
This is a great idea but if you don't want something so bulky just get the regular bracelet with Lupus/Allergies. You can add "see wallet/billfold for meds list."

Quite true. It doesn't seem bother me (already used to it) however, I can REALLY see how it could bother some.

tgal
01-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Quite true. It doesn't seem bother me (already used to it) however, I can REALLY see how it could bother some.

LOL I range between 9 and 12 meds at a time. I couldn't afford the charms!

Larette
01-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Wow...so sorry. I'm not there (yet)...only 2 atm. Yes, ha, clearly that wouldn't work for you!

Desleywr
01-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Thank you all so much. You have given me some things to think about. First to put my name on is going to be a big space as it contains 20 letters. I am too on many meds. But I will put my name and conditions, but if they don't fit on I will use the charms to add more with the tabs list in my bag. Thank you all I appreciate your comments!

I have just gone and ordered a nice medic alert bracelet and when checking out they offered a cheap one so I took it too and got the 10inch chain as it will now fit my ankle as an ankle bracelet. I didn't get the good bracelet engraved as some of the comments complained that the engraving wasn't deep enough so I got it without and I will get the engraving done here in Australia. I am so happy as I also got medic disks to put on my husbands watch saying wallet medical info. I also got one for our key ring so at least our keys have the name on them. A really worthwhile site thanks so much!

magistramarla
01-29-2012, 09:42 PM
My bracelet snaps open and has a compartment where a folded-up piece of paper can be stored with all of my info on it.
I also carry all of my info in my purse, so there is double the chance of finding it.
Hugs,
Marla

Desleywr
01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
My bracelet snaps open and has a compartment where a folded-up piece of paper can be stored with all of my info on it.
I also carry all of my info in my purse, so there is double the chance of finding it.
Hugs,
Marla

That sounds great does it get wet? Or do you take it off?

magistramarla
01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Desley,
The paper that came with it was treated so that it can take some moisture. I'm thinking that if I replace it because info changes, I might try laminating the paper after I write on it. I don't wear it all of the time - just when I'm out of the house.
Hugs,
Marla

professor825
01-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Marla, where did you get this bracelet with the compartment? Thanks in advance. :-)

ruziska
01-30-2012, 10:10 PM
or if you are like me and haven't met a bracelet that I couldn't destroy (not on purpose) so I got the tattoo! Wolf paw print with the medical cross in the pad and the word "LUPUS" across it. Never break it, never lose it.

Desleywr
01-31-2012, 02:24 AM
I also ordered a bracelet with a fresh water pearl as the band with the block with writing on it. From new Zealand I ordered the replacement band of white pearls at 25.00 and the whole bracelet in grey pearls for 45.00 I felt quite reasonable. They also have a lot of leather bands too.

They also have the bracelet with a USB in the band at:
http://www.medaware.co.nz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24_43
Have a look.

panda_lupo
01-31-2012, 03:18 PM
Hello!

you think the Doctor would advise to get something like this! I mean the thought of having a medical bracelet didnt cross my mind till I saw this thread

and all your points are vaild if anything were to happen... they only see a normal 24 yr and not know about my SLE Lupus/ Fibrymyalgia

I do have a tattoo.. but its the ribbon wrapped around a spoon with a butterfly on top but no words saying Lupus

tgal
01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
I really have to step in here with a comment. If you are considering getting a tatto you really need to discuss it with your dr and make sure you are not flaring. Even things this small can cause issues with this'd affected with Lupus. I am not saying don't get one... I am simply saying that you need to discuss it with the doc first

panda_lupo
01-31-2012, 03:32 PM
I really have to step in here with a comment. If you are considering getting a tatto you really need to discuss it with your dr and make sure you are not flaring. Even things this small can cause issues with this'd affected with Lupus. I am not saying don't get one... I am simply saying that you need to discuss it with the doc first

Also! If you are ever in a car accident and your tattoo is disfigured also is possibility...

So the idea is to always have a backup for your backup!!!

magistramarla
02-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Marla, where did you get this bracelet with the compartment? Thanks in advance. :-)

I bought mine from American Medical ID in Houston - www.IdentifyYourself.com

Mine has a stretchy wristband to match my watch, and it has served me well since 2008.
Hugs,
Marla