PDA

View Full Version : Hi

lovelyophelia
01-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi, my name is Kelsey. I'm 21 years old and from VT.

I haven't been diagnosed yet, just started the testing. The blood work for my ANAs came back positive and my doctor suspects Lupus. The only symptom that I have so far is joint pain, so it could be something else, like arthritis. I'll have an appointment with a rheumatologist either Monday or Tuesday to do more tests. Here's hoping for a quick diagnoses.

rob
01-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi Kelsey,

Welcome to WHL. I live next-door to you, in Maine.

Make yourself at home here, and good luck with your next appointment!

Rob

tgal
01-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Hi and welcome to WHL! We are so glad to have you with us. Please keep us informed as to how things go. We will be with you the whole way!

lovelyophelia
01-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Thank you, I'm so glad these forums exist!

steve.b
01-27-2012, 09:11 PM
hi kelsey and welcome.

i am glad to see you are working with a disabled girl.
it is very rewarding....
and help keep our own problems in perspective.

welcome.

Desleywr
01-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Welcome! Have a great time here we are family.

lovelyophelia
01-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Also, I have a twin sister. She hasn't shown any symptoms yet, should she be tested? My grandmother had some form of arthritis and my dad has Vitilago, so it seems autoimmune disorders run in that side of the family.

steve.b
01-28-2012, 10:43 PM
it is believed that about 2% of lupus patients get it genetically.
if you are in that 2%, then your sister has a high licklyhood also.
if you are in the 98%, then your sister only has normal chances.

there is some members that can trace the problems back 3 generations.

i know this is not a definate answer, but doctors cannot agree on much with lupus.

kim,l
01-29-2012, 04:59 AM
hi kelsey first welcome to whl . it would not hurt your sister to get tested my mother has lupus and i have lupus as so does my eldest daughter so in my case is genetic but that is not always the case. . it is better to be informed than not i say.

magistramarla
01-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi Kelsey,
Welcome to WHL. Good luck with the rheumy this week.
Please keep us informed, and we'll all be here for you if you have questions.
Hugs,
Marla

Mica
01-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Also, I have a twin sister. She hasn't shown any symptoms yet, should she be tested? My grandmother had some form of arthritis and my dad has Vitilago, so it seems autoimmune disorders run in that side of the family.

Just wanted to say welcome to the site. I also have a twin sister, the doctor really wanted to test her. She refused though, unlike me, she is terrified of needles and blood. Really it depends on whether your sister wants to get tested, and really if I was her I wouldn't be too worried about it unless she started to get sick too. I have a grandmother with RA and an aunt with fibro, thats about it so we didn't see it as a big deal for my sister to get tested.

Saysusie
01-30-2012, 09:20 AM
As has been mentioned, doctors suspect tha Lupus can have a genetic link. If your family has some history of auto-immune issues (of which there are over 60 possibilties), then your chances are greater for developing one yourself. So, as has been sugessted, it might be a good idea for your sister to get tested for auto-immune issues.
I want to welcome you to our family. We are all here to help you in any way that we can.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie