PDA

View Full Version : Dose anyone have this?

flower21clr
01-22-2012, 06:28 AM
Dose anyone have muscles that lock up? I have a muscle in my back that will tighten to the point I can't move it sends pains that radiate up and down my back neck and arm it brings instant tears and me almost to my knees. Then there is my fingers on both hands my pinkie and ring finger will curl into my palm and go numbe and I can't straighten them with out using my other hand. The rheumy thought my finger were from when I knit but I can't remember the last time I picked up my knitting needles three kids keep me to busy:0) I'm full of questions this morning I was Wondering if anyone Else drinks red bull and notice a big difference there are day I'm so tired and my brain fog is so bad I can't function. After I drink one I don't hurt as bad, the fog isn't as thick, plus I have alittle energy my sister feels it's the sugar and cafinee. But I drink the sugar free and if that's the case coffee should give me the same effect? These are all things I'm going to ask about at my next dr appt. Because yippie we got our health insurance back as of the first of Jan thank goodness? Hope this finds everyone well Or on a good day.

tgal
01-22-2012, 08:08 AM
I had that problem several times throughout my life (actually started with my fingers). Every time it turned out that my potassium level was way too low, almost in heart attack level.

Great news about the insurance! I don't get mine until Oct. Keep us posted!

flower21clr
01-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Heart attack level? That's sounds kinda Bad made I should try to move up my next doctors appt it's nit till fed 27

SleepyInSeattle
01-22-2012, 11:02 AM
In the meantime bananas have a lot of potassium...so does Gatorade. I'm sure eating a banana and downing a couple Gatorades wouldn't hurt, anyway - it might make you feel less worried between now and when you see your doc. And if it's NOT a potassium issue - no harm done - ya just ate some fruit, LOL....

I am glad to hear your insurance is kicking in. It's scary to have medical issues and no insurance...

PS - I don't mean at all to say you shouldn't go in IMMEDIATELY if you are really concerned - I am not a doctor and of course have no idea what is causing it. Just that since the potassium thing was brought up, if you're scared about that, bananas and Gatorade both have potassium/electrolytes in them. : - )

rob
01-22-2012, 11:09 AM
In the meantime bananas have a lot of potassium...so does Gatorade. I'm sure eating a banana and downing a couple Gatorades wouldn't hurt, anyway - it might make you feel less worried between now and when you see your doc. And if it's NOT a potassium issue - no harm done - ya just ate some fruit, LOL....

I am glad to hear your insurance is kicking in. It's scary to have medical issues and no insurance...

PS - I don't mean at all to say you shouldn't go in IMMEDIATELY if you are really concerned - I am not a doctor and of course have no idea what is causing it. Just that since the potassium thing was brought up, if you're scared about that, bananas and Gatorade both have potassium/electrolytes in them. : - )

Good advice.

The potassium/electrolytes in bananas and Gatororade definitely help me with muscle spasms and the pain associated with them. I get them often, the worst ones being in my back/shoulder area that radiates up through my neck. The pain is enough to make me cringe when trying to turn my head. Makes sleeping nearly impossible.

Anyway, kinda funny, you just ate some fruit, and I just finished a bottle of Gatrorade. (I like the purple colored kind)

Rob

red246
01-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Dried cherries are really good for Potassium as well. :)

tgal
01-22-2012, 01:45 PM
OMG I am sorry I didn't mean to scare you! Eat the foods mentioned above often until your doctors appointment. Please don't worry, mine went on for months and months before I had a doctors appointment. You have an appointment and you are not having chest pains or signs of a heart attack so just relax and eat fruit!

magistramarla
01-22-2012, 10:06 PM
I have muscles that spasm and "lock up", too. Mine are in my lower body - both calf muscles and the quad muscles behind my thighs.
My potassium levels have been tested, so that's not it. I definitely have Spasmodic Dysphonia, where the vocal cords spasm and tighten.
Because of that, the otolaryngologist thinks that the leg muscles have dystonia, too - he thinks that I have spastic paraplegia.
I cant' seem to convince the rheumy about that, though.
Hugs,
Marla

flower21clr
01-23-2012, 04:39 AM
Thank everyone for the info I will eat more fruit. Will defiantly ask about getting my potassium levels checked at my next appt. The numb finger just drive me nuts woke up with them. That and some day l have less strength in them some time my husband will come home to a counter of snippy cup to open it was easier to get Jillian new ones because I could't open the one she just finished. Best part of that is I put the lids on them

chinadoll
01-23-2012, 08:08 AM
I thought I'd jump in on the discussion on the possibility that your potassium is low and mention that I noticed you are drinking Red Bull which is full of caffeine. I have had low potassium as well (which causes muscle spasms, weakness, dizziness, irregular heart rhythm, and all sorts of other things that are NOT good and should not be ignored) and my doctor told me that caffeine is a diuretic and that I should avoid it. I know you are trying to fight the exhaustion you are experiencing by drinking the Red Bull, but if you are taking in a lot of caffeine and are not replacing your electrolytes, you could be losing too much potassium and other vital nutrients. Please be sure to tell your doctor you are drinking Red Bull and then follow his advice...I am pretty sure he will have other, healthier options for you. Take care...I hope you feel better soon!

flower21clr
01-23-2012, 09:01 AM
I'm up for any suggestion to up the energy I'm doing water aerobics three days a week to try to lose weight in hopes that will give me more energy. I really enjoy it it's a lot of stretching which is great. But on top of that I have three little ones to chase 8, 6, and 14 months. Then I get my niece and nephew three to four nights a week plus a friends daughter in the mornings before school so I'm chasing 3-6 kids. I have tried ginseng but that gives me heart palpitations so I stay way from that. I plain to ask about the red bull because I agree there has to be something better to give me energy. Because being ready for a nap after getting the girls ready for school, loading the dish washer,and doing aload of laundry gets so old. I miss the days when I could get up clean the whole house, including scrub floor before work, But in eight hour then come home and cook dinner and go walking on six hour sleep. Now I don't function with out 10 hours sleep.

Mica
01-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Fruit is good for you so eat lots of bananas and do limit your Gatorade intake because it is loaded with sugars and junk like that. Also redbull is bad for a healthy person Id imagine it's pretty bad for a lupus person. Ive had my muscles lock when im in a flare but ever since I first got sick I can't stand drinking anything else other than water and a little bit of juice. Try cutting back on sodas and energy drinks.