PDA

View Full Version : Red and Flushed Hands and Feet

BonusMom
01-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Over the past couple of weeks, I have had the occasional red and flushed hands and feet. My chest also turns red. This is extremely rare for me as I have Raynaud's and am ALWAYS cold. When this happens, I remove my rings because my fingers feel like they are swelling.

I have not changed or added any medications.

Anyone have similar experience or knowledge of what this
might be? FYI-I really don't think it's a "hot flash as it's only affecting feet and hands and I'm not sweating.

magistramarla
01-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi BonusMom,
I'm glad to see you here! How are things going?
Could the flushing and swelling be a symptom of the Raynaud's? I go from extremely cold hands and feet to really hot and then back again several times a night.
I start out the night wearing warm fuzzy socks, rip them off two hours later, then put 'em back on two hours after that.... and repeat 'til morning.
I haven't had my toes swell up since two years ago, when Ryan was born. It was cold in Arkansas, and I was stressed, so my toes swelled so much, I couldn't walk.
I know that you have some stresses going on in your life, so I wonder if that is what is doing it?
I hope that you are well otherwise.
Keep in touch!
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
01-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the response, Marla. This is a new thing for me and although the stressors were high last year, they had died down of late (yeah!). Interesting that you've experienced the warm/cold thing.

My hands stay warm for quite a while and feel kinda stiff (I think from swelling?).

magistramarla
01-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Bonus Mom,
My hands are stiff when I first wake up in the morning. I drop things a lot in the kitchen in the morning until I work the stiffness out.
Hugs,
Marla

Shine
01-06-2012, 10:23 PM
I know that when my hands have been painfully cold they will often flush afterwards....like coming in from the snow and putting your hands infront of the fire...that kind of feeling, without the snow or fire! Since being in Oz I don't really get the cold bit, but still get the hot flushing/burning. My hands feel very pudgy too, not swollen as such, just fatter, if that makes sense. And sometime they will be red and white blotchy patterned.

I have hyperhydrosis too so my hands sweat, a lot!

Yannosun
01-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Hi BonusMom,

I also have Raynauds and my hands seem to change from blue/purple in the cold but once they warm up they turn red.
Not sure but I think this could be some sort of vascular reaction to temperatures. Vasoconstriction and cold causing the purple/blue
and then vasodialation and heat causing the red colour. Do people with lupus just have more sensitivity to changes in temperature?
I also have livedo which is like a mottling purple netting on the skin but this also seems to change to an all over red when the temperature
raises just slightly. I would love to just have a "normal" skin tone again and envy people who do. I keep searching and looking for something that will help but nothing seems to. If you come across anything that helps please let me know.......

Andrea

kohlfrog
01-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Okay this one I'm curious about too, I don't know if it's the same thing or not, but here we go. Since October every couple weeks or so I've been having my hands and feet, mostly my feet, turn bright red, shiny and hot. They are also hot to the touch, and feel like I've severely sunburned them, and am now holding them in the sun. The burning is incredible! and not in a good way! It seems particularly to affect my Toes and fingers, starting just below on the side of the join that close to my body where my toes and fingers attach to my feet and palms. So if you look at my hands it looks fine until you get up about half an inch to an inch below my fingers then it fades into bright red shiny skin.

I don't have Reynauds, so I've really been wondering what's causing it. When it gets worse it will go all the way up my wrists and ankles, and then it kind of feels like I'm walking on balloons that are on fire. I've also notices that my toes and fingers have been particularly stiff lately, even when I'm not having the burning stuff.

magistramarla
01-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Kohlfrog,
My toes and feet are like that, too. The rheumy just said "Raynaud's - wear warm socks."
If you look through some past threads, we've had quite a few discussions about this.
Another possibility that has been brought up is neuropathy. I know that my feet often feel fuzzy and numb, not just cold.
Hugs,
Marla