PDA

View Full Version : please dont judge me i am just curious and i plan on talking with my dr about this

Tammy2011
01-05-2012, 08:18 PM
i have in the past smoked marijuana for the muscle and joint pain before i was diagnosed with subacute cutaneous lupus i am just curious as to how many in the WHL family here have smoked marijuana while talking plaquenil i am on a low dose for the winter months one every other day and i am experiencing muscle and joint pain more frequently i have a drs appointment soon and i will bring it to his attention just curious if anyone here smokes while talking plaquenil you can pm me privately if you like i know it isnt a subject that everyone wishes to talk freely about i was a little nervous to post this myself ..

magistramarla
01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Hey Tammy,
We never judge people here, so ask anything.
If you search some of the old threads, we've had some lively discussions here about medical marijuana. I've never tried it in my life, but we do have some members who have.
I've read that some folks with MS have had much success with it. Now that we live in CA, I would love to give it a try (in brownies - can't stand smoke), but my hubby is a military officer and he freaks out at the very idea of bringing it into the house. I'm allergic to all opioids, and I have lots of gastric problems from NSAIDs, so I really don't have anything that I can take for pain. I really do wonder if MJ would help.
It is a good idea to discuss it with your doc. I don't know if it would have any bad reactions with Plaquenil. I drink wine in the evening to help with my leg spasms, and I take my Plaquenil in the morning. We've had a few discussions here about alcohol, too. My doc, and the docs of some of the others, are ok with drinking, as long as we space it out from the time that we take our meds. Perhaps it will be the same for MJ. I would suggest this to the doc if I were you.
Let us know what your doc says.
Hugs,
Marla

NaturalMystic
01-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Hello Tammy,

I'm not on any medications myself right now or know a lot about plaquenil, but if your doctor agrees with you, then why not? Do what you have to for you.

I've known a few people who have smoked marijuana for other medical reasons and they have all told me it has helped them tremendously. I know it's an illegal drug, but I'm sure you're not going to smoke it with the intention of getting high.

Hoping you feel better soon! (((gentle hugs)))

Blessings, Love & Aloha,
Ty :)

Tammy2011
01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
thank you for not judging :) i am going to speak with him and ill come back with a report on what he said thank you

rob
01-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi Tammy,

Don't worry, as Marla has mentioned, we've had some good, lively discussions about this subject here before, so nobody is going to judge you.

To quote Jeff Spicoli-

"A friend with weed, is a friend indeed!"

debbie-b
01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
You know what? I would not judge you either, even though I am strictly against any kind of drugs.
BUT if I could get a prescription for it, I would try it. I had to stop MTX, because of very bad liver enzymes, I have been without any meds for a couple of months now and I am in constant pain. I have been feeling lousy and my rheumy is afraid to try anything new, because my liver is pretty bad right now.
So even I, a def. anti drug fanatic, would take it, if the rheumy could prescribe it for me. I think it is worth a try.

Debbie

scubagramplit
01-06-2012, 04:03 PM
OK, here goes my story. By the way Rob, love it, like party on dude:~} Any way, groing up I was no stranger to marijuana, children those days, any way upon returning back Oregon and talking with my pcp, who's only concern when I see him is am I sleeping and walking?, any way on the sleeping issue we went around using trazadone and cloneazapam, not good results with niether. His response was I don't know what to do for you then. I tried the medical marijuana and wow, I'm getting eight hours of sleep a night plus. I just made an extract that I have been wanting to try for pain[the extract consists of just vegetable glycerin and the herb of choice] and I am pleasantly surprised. My new rheumy started me on flexerill which I tried for three nights with varying degrees of success and then about four nights ago the pain through my back from head to butt was unbareable, I took an oxycodone to get through it otherwise I was going to go to the ER. Last night that pain started coming back and I was getting ready for another terrible night when I rubbed the extract on the back of my neck, my low back and hips. I was able to sleep very well all night. I would recomend checking with youre state laws. pm me if you need to, may be I can help with recources.

rob
01-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the info Jim,

There are two people in my MS support group who were prescribed the medical grade MJ for pain from peripheral neuropathy, and as an appetite stimulant. They say it works really well, with few negative side effects. If my own peripheral neuropathy problems from MS and lack of appetite were to get worse than they already are, I would give the stuff a try. I didn't realize that it can be a sleep aid. I also have a terrible time sleeping, and nothing so far has helped, so that's another reason to consider the MJ option for me.

Rob

tgal
01-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I think that the most important thing that a person with an autoimmune disorder must do is talk to their doctor about it. I will never judge anyone for their choices but I can't help them make them when it comes to things being used as medicine. Always, always talk to your doctor before making any changes to your meds on your own (and I do consider alcohol and pot as meds)

Having said that... I also believe we should have open minds and allow us anything that will help once the doctor as approved

scubagramplit
01-06-2012, 05:21 PM
yea Rob, I am learning what works better for sleep for appetite for anxiety, who knew

debbie-b
01-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the info Jim,

There are two people in my MS support group who were prescribed the medical grade MJ for pain from peripheral neuropathy, and as an appetite stimulant. They say it works really well, with few negative side effects. If my own peripheral neuropathy problems from MS and lack of appetite were to get worse than they already are, I would give the stuff a try. I didn't realize that it can be a sleep aid. I also have a terrible time sleeping, and nothing so far has helped, so that's another reason to consider the MJ option for me.

Rob

Oh crap(sorry), if it is an appetite stimulant, I don't need it.lol

Debbie

tgal
01-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Oh crap(sorry), if it is an appetite stimulant, I don't need it.lol

Debbie

LOL I am with you on that one, Deb!

scubagramplit
01-07-2012, 07:53 PM
You can all believe me when I say I would much rather not have to take any type of medicine and go back to working my butt off and with whats left see how hard you can go play and have a good time doing it all. Boy oh boy do I miss snowmobiling, hiking/backpacking, working 24/7 when the big storms come through. I guess just having my old life back. Waaaaaaaaa, I'll quit whining now:~}

NaturalMystic
01-07-2012, 09:36 PM
I ditto not needing the appetite stimulant :D lol

scubagramplit
02-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Have had my second appt. with my new rheumy and we had a really good discussion on this. When asked what all I am using it for I explained using it for pain, anxiety, insomnia, appetight stimulant & nausea. I told him about making an extract for when the fibro pain is really having a good time with me and I rub just a little bit in my neck, low back and hips. It relieves the pain and allows me to sleep. I am very happy with the herbal extract which you can take orally also. the doc said he would rather see me getting loaded up on this than pain killers and muscle relaxers. He also said that he believes that the medical comunity should do more research in this area. No this wasn't some young new guy, he was an old fart, older than me:~}
Kinda interesting on a side note. I was checking out a story about juicing marijuana. wow. sounds promising but then again don't alot of ideas. and the amount you would have to have fresh, not dry, every day even in a state where it is legal would still not be practical to grow. With the juicing you do not get the high they said. there was a particular makeup of the plant, I cant remember what it was called, I think CBD, but it sounds like this is the stuff they need to look at for autoimmune diseases.

Angel Oliver
02-07-2012, 03:02 PM
One day at a rheumi appt, i sat next to a lady who had lupus.She asked me if the doc had given me the dx of lupus yet....i told her no.She smiled and as we talked she said you know what i find helpful.....she also said the same as you....so it must help. I dont know any contacts so never have tried it myself....but she said for her it helps also.She was on the plaquenil like me and other meds too.

love
Amanda.xxx

magistramarla
02-07-2012, 09:48 PM
I read an article recently that said that a research group in Europe had made a breakthrough with making a prescription quality drug from the natural THC in pot. The article mentioned that the current prescription was an artificial form of the key ingredients.
It could get interesting if they are successful at formulating and marketing this.
Hugs,
Marla

brandywine
03-04-2012, 06:26 AM
I have had some *cough* experience in this area....

If you are after marijuana for therapeutic use, don't smoke it. Not only do you get all the lung damage (worse than smoking), you get a short sharp high, with some medical relief. That's because the THC (most active ingredient) goes straight through the lungs into the bloodstream, but doesn't last long.

You need to EAT marijuana to get the slow, steady pain relief without blurring your mind. Slowly digesting the THC and having your liver process it changes it's effects.

However marijuana is yucky and twiggy, unless you can afford resin. The best way to deal with this is to get the THC out of the organic matter. THC is fat soluble, so it's easy to put into butter or oil.

You can mash the weed and then slowly panfry it in butter, strain the butter and you'll be left with greenish butter you can bake and cook with. I know some people extract it into peanut butter.

Or add weed to some high-quality olive oil, put it in the bottom of a wardrobe for a month, shaking every few days. The THC will slowly leak out into the oil. Salad dressing, anyone?

Also this means you won't have bundles of green stuff lying around to raise the suspicious of nosey neighbours. Baking freezes very well......

rob
03-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Or add weed to some high-quality olive oil, put it in the bottom of a wardrobe for a month, shaking every few days. The THC will slowly leak out into the oil. Salad dressing, anyone?

Fettucini Al-Ganja!

magistramarla
03-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Fettucini Al-Ganja!

Rob,
LOL! I have never tried the stuff, but if I do, that's the way I would do it!
Hugs,
Marla

brandywine
03-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Also it's worth pointing out that marijuana is not a homogenous substance.

There are different varieties which contain different proportions of THC and the other active substances, therefore giving different effects.

Marijuana has changed dramatically in the past 40-odd years, the stuff the hippies were smoking is very weak compared to the stuff today. In particular, anything grown hydroponically is going to be super-strong.

It depends on how your body handles it as to what effects you will have. We all have different liver enzymes, receptors in our brains etc.

So everyone will have a different response to it, and there is no guarantee that the response you get from one batch will be repeated with the next batch. (unless you have a dealer and grower who really know their stuff). Also, tolerance builds up quickly, so your response to the same substance will be changing.

One of the arguments for legalising Marijuana is that then it could be grown to standard specifications, you could be confident in how much 'dose' you are getting in every ounce, and research into which strain is best for which affliction would be easier. At the moment it's just guesstimation.

scubagramplit
03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
You do not want to just fry this up cause if you over heat the cannabis you will kill all the cannabinoids in the cannabis. You want to use a slow saute'. Also you can't just eat the cannabis it has to be heated in order to activate the cannabinoids so that the cannabinoid receptors in our brains are triggerded by it. Ganja fettacini, you crack me up Rob:~}

I have had some *cough* experience in this area....

If you are after marijuana for therapeutic use, don't smoke it. Not only do you get all the lung damage (worse than smoking), you get a short sharp high, with some medical relief. That's because the THC (most active ingredient) goes straight through the lungs into the bloodstream, but doesn't last long.

You need to EAT marijuana to get the slow, steady pain relief without blurring your mind. Slowly digesting the THC and having your liver process it changes it's effects.

However marijuana is yucky and twiggy, unless you can afford resin. The best way to deal with this is to get the THC out of the organic matter. THC is fat soluble, so it's easy to put into butter or oil.

You can mash the weed and then slowly panfry it in butter, strain the butter and you'll be left with greenish butter you can bake and cook with. I know some people extract it into peanut butter.

Also this means you won't have bundles of green stuff lying around to raise the suspicious of nosey neighbours. Baking freezes very well......