PDA

View Full Version : Hi there, I am new and have some ???...Positive ANA and Positive Centromere Protein B

MDS1974
01-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi there!
Found this site while doing research online and while I don't have lupus I have had two positive ANA tests now. I don't recall the #'s for the first ANA test but the second is 1:160. From what I have read this is on the low end of things. I have a second appt with a Rheumy coming up but was hoping to get more answers before that appt. He had mentioned based on last test results that limited scleroderma was a possibility based on lab results but at that time I didn't have any clinical findings to support that diagnosis. My inital complant was pain/tightness in fingers and wrist on both sides. I have since developed Raynauds (now that it is colder her in the midwest) and on last bloodwork my CENTROMERE PROTEIN B was high with a normal level being under 7.0 and my reading being 49.0. From all I have read it looks like I probably do have scleroderma but was hoping for some additional insight. Thanks for any help you can give!! =+)

MDS1974

steve.b
01-03-2012, 08:01 PM
hi and welcome to the site.

it is not a requirement to actually have lupus, to be a member here.
we welcome friends and family as well.

by being here, you are now my friend.......
so you are welcome here. lol

others will be able to help more.......
but an ana test is to test for inflamation.

there is 63 auto immune disorders.
this inflamation tests increases the liklyhood you have at least 1 of those.
raynauds could also produce a positive ana result.

again welcome.

MDS1974
01-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Aww thanks so much for the warm welcome! It is greatly appreciated!! :cute:

Saysusie
01-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Hello and Welcome to our family :-) As Steve mentioned, there are over 63 auto-immune disorders and many of us suffer from more than one overlapping disorder. Scleroderma is one of the 63 auto-immune disorders. While a positive ANA does not necessarily mean that you have lupus, it does usually mean that there is some sort of auto-immune issue presenting itself. Your doctor will most likely run more tests, some of which may be very specific tests, in order to narrow down the possibilities and to try to give you some sort of definitive answer. This does not always happen, however, and many of us go without a diagnosis for quite some time. Some of us are told that we have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease ( a disorder that combines features of sclerodermy, myositis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, dermatomyositis, polymyosistis, etc. - and thus is considered an overlap disease syndrome). Some are told that they have Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease (a disorder that used to describe people who have symptoms and certain lab test results that look like a systemic autoimmune disorder or connective tissue disease. But they don't have enough characteristics of any of these diseases to meet the diagnosis for a definitive diagnoses of a particular connective tissue disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or scleroderma. Thus, they seem to have another, similar disorder that doctors call undifferentiated connective tissue disease). As you can guess, diagnosing auto-immune/connective tissue disease is very difficult and can take an extended period of time. As such, it is difficult for us to provide you with any answers that would be reliable or complete.
Please stay in contact with us during your diagnostic regime, we will try to answer any questions that you have. In the meantime, please refer to the stickys at the top of each forum, you will find a wealth of information there and perhaps some of your questions will be answered.
Again..welcome to our family and I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie