PDA

View Full Version : Happy Boxing Day to those that Celebrate!

tgal
12-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I hope each of you have a wonderful day and enjoy it in whatever way you celebrate!

magistramarla
12-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I'll second what Mari said.
Every holiday at this time of year is wonderful!
Hugs,
Marla

Hunniebun
12-28-2011, 10:46 AM
lol its not exactly a holiday to celebrate, it is like black friday. It is a day when there are tons of sales the day after christmas. Everyone will come flocking to stores, to get their hands on deals. I got a bluray/dvd player and a computer game for cheap so it was great.

tgal
12-28-2011, 01:45 PM
OHHHH lol I didn't know! Well happy sale day and I hope you all got stuff you wanted LOL

n.mac
12-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Doesn't boxing day date back to the victorian era-the day after Christmas when the servants were given the day off to celebrate with thier families.Their services were needed on the actual holiday.

Hunniebun
12-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Close. It is not "celebrated" anymore, it is much more seen as a day to get cheap stuff. People do work on Boxing day and lots of stores are open for the sales.

"Boxing Day is traditionally a day following Christmas when wealthy people in the United Kingdom would give a box containing a gift to their servants. Today, Boxing Day is better known as a bank or public holiday that occurs on December 26, or the first or second weekday after Christmas Day, depending on national or regional laws. It is observed in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and some other Commonwealth nations."

magistramarla
12-30-2011, 12:42 PM
It reminds me of the Roman Saturnalia, when the slaves were given a day off, and one slave in the household was chosen to be "the master" for the day.
Hmmm - I wonder if it might have started as a hold-over from that?

Ever the Latin teacher, seeing connections.
Hugs,
Marla