PDA

View Full Version : reynaud's?

scubagramplit
12-18-2011, 09:11 PM
having reynaud's secondary to lupus I am having episodes at night that I am curious if it is common. In the middle of the night I get woke up because I am sweating, like last night I sat in the bathroom sweat dripping off my face then climb back in bed and feel cold clear to the bone, then start the cycle all over again. anybody else have any thing like this goin on?

magistramarla
12-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi Jim,
Yes, you've described just what I go through.
I start the night off with fuzzy socks because my feet are so cold (we keep the thermometer at 65).
Two hours later, I remove the socks - I'm getting too warm.
By 2:30 am (I can count on it), I wake up pouring with sweat and go to the restroom.
I feel cold when I get back into bed, so I cuddle up to get warm & go back to sleep.
By 4:30, I'm throwing the covers off because I'm sweating again.
I finally get back to sleep after 5:00, and I'll sleep until I hear Jeff get up around 7:00.
Then I'll cat-nap until I get up at 8:00 or 8:30.

I mentioned this to both the PCP and the rheumy. They both said that it was all part of my age and blamed it on menopause.
LOL - that can't be your problem! I've read so many folks with both Lupus and Sjogrens describing these very same symptoms, so I don't believe that it is just my age and being female.
If you get a decent explanation out of your rheumy, please let me know.
Hugs,
Marla

scubagramplit
12-19-2011, 09:01 AM
As long as I remember I will let you know what the new rheumy says. Thank you so much for your description, I feel sorry for your husband:~| I know what my wife goes through. You have a merry Christmas Marla.

ritzbit
12-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Me too on this one. My rheum kind of said she thinks its autonomic related, but no one knows anything about how our autonomic system is affected, so it does me little good knowing that lol

Mica
12-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Oh this is all common for lupus, though your medication is probably making your sweating worse. When I switch my blood pressure medication I don't sweat nearly as much at night anymore. Though the Reynaud's affects my fingers most, like during the winter the skin on my finger tips start to peel off because of not enough circulation, I sometimes sleep with mittens on and even if it isn't snowing outside I usually wear gloves now.

n.mac
12-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Lately I have had "night sweats" but I don't know what causes them-I had started taking imuran and had a severe reaction after a couple of weeks and it was during that time when I had severe night sweats. Now that I discontinued imuran things have improved but not returned to normal and I don't know if the two are connected.My wife jokes she is going to start wearing her bathing suit to bed.

magistramarla
12-19-2011, 08:26 PM
As long as I remember I will let you know what the new rheumy says. Thank you so much for your description, I feel sorry for your husband:~| I know what my wife goes through. You have a merry Christmas Marla.

Jim,
It seems that I disturb my dog more than I disturb Jeff. Conner sleeps in the room next to ours, and I hear him moving around after my restroom run. Lately, when I get restless at 4:00 or 4:30, I hear him again. I think that he can hear me through the wall. Just as I get back to sleep, Jeff wakes up, hears Conner and gets up to let him out for a potty break. It messes up everyone's sleep, and I think that it's all my fault.
I hope that you have a very Merry Christmas, too.
Hugs,
Marla

SleepyInSeattle
12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I have the sweats too, and trouble regulating body temp (diagnosis is Lupus, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, and APS)...but it's not the meds, because all I take is Plaquenil, and I've only been on that for about 3 months, but have had body temp problems since High School.

LOL - I thought it was normal until I discovered it's not. Yes I am female, but no hormone problems and certainly not going through menopause since High School.....(though at 43 maybe now that's part of it? I sure hope not yet!!!!)

It seems pretty common with this stuff, unfortunately. Blankets on, blankets off....blankets on, blankets off....repeat as needed!!! :-p

scubagramplit
12-20-2011, 02:37 PM
n.mac; that is very interesting about the imuran, I swear the night sweats, naughtiousness, freezing to the core ( all with in an hour) started after the rheumy tried me on cytoxin and then on methotrexate, neither worked for me and made me feel much worse than the lupus at that time. I have mentioned this to both rheumies and primary care physicians and all I get is that look like they think I've lost my mind. but we don't want to discuss that loss though LOL haha:~} I gotta laugh once in a while to keep me from going crazy:~}

bunny28
12-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I have this too. I am only on Plaquinil (at least as far as lupus meds go) so it is not meds for me, I don't think.
Bunny

Desleywr
12-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi Jim,
Yes, you've described just what I go through.
I start the night off with fuzzy socks because my feet are so cold (we keep the thermometer at 65).
Two hours later, I remove the socks - I'm getting too warm.
By 2:30 am (I can count on it), I wake up pouring with sweat and go to the restroom.
I feel cold when I get back into bed, so I cuddle up to get warm & go back to sleep.
By 4:30, I'm throwing the covers off because I'm sweating again.
I finally get back to sleep after 5:00, and I'll sleep until I hear Jeff get up around 7:00.
Then I'll cat-nap until I get up at 8:00 or 8:30.

I mentioned this to both the PCP and the rheumy. They both said that it was all part of my age and blamed it on menopause.
LOL - that can't be your problem! I've read so many folks with both Lupus and Sjogrens describing these very same symptoms, so I don't believe that it is just my age and being female.
If you get a decent explanation out of your rheumy, please let me know.
Hugs,
Marla

Ahhh that is my nights too but I can also get it during the day especially when I eat or if I drink a cup of tea? I went through meno and had two years with nothing and then this .. In fact this is more than meno and it is different as in meno I got the heat from the inside now it is a gradual rise of temperature just like not being able to control my internal temp!

Desleywr
12-21-2011, 04:54 PM
My sweats have been here for two years befor going on meds?

magistramarla
12-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Desley,
Yes, I've started to notice that I get very warm soon after eating or drinking anything, too. Then I get really cold, especially in the evening, and I have to wrap up in my warm housecoat.
I'm also only on Plaquenil, so it's not caused by meds, unless it's that one. I've been on Plaq for three years, but I think that I remember that the night sweats began before that. Of course, it was blamed on my age, so I didn't pay much attention to it.
Hugs,
Marla

scubagramplit
12-31-2011, 09:56 AM
ok. saw my new rheumy yesterday. He asked lots of questions, most of which I don't remember, but I got the impression that he had already read through my files and already had a game plan, I thought that was kinda cool, he has me starting on flexerill which he thinks will help my tight sore muscles and might actually help me sleep better. I told him about the hot flashes and how I get soooo cold, I can't remember what he told me. Ha, aint I a bundle of knowledge:~} any way I think I am going to like this guy. I go back in two weeks after some blood tests that he wants to see. I will take my wife with me for a memory storage:~}

magistramarla
12-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Jim,
Good for you! It is great when we find a rheumy who actually asks questions and listens to our answers.
LOL- taking your wife along as memory storage is a good idea. I would love to know what his answer was about the hot/cold flashes.
Let us know what your wife reports in two weeks!
Hugs,
Marla

scubagramplit
12-31-2011, 01:53 PM
hey there marla. the interesting thing is he didn't blame it on getting older, I have gotten so tired of hearing doctors tell me its just cause i'm getting older, I think he was leaning toward the fibromyalgia but like I said, I can't remember poop, a new accronym-crp instead of crs:~} I gotta tell ya, the nurse is the same nurse that my original rheumy had back at the beginning of all this, she remembered me and greeted me with a big smile. she had the doc take care of the patient that was supposed to be after me first, she said she wanted him to be able to spend as much time with me as he needed. I like people that like their job and do it well with a smile:~} all I got left is the smile haha. my other rheumy pretty much required that my wife accompany me to all my appointments, now that is saying something don't ya think:~}

SleepyInSeattle
12-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Maybe he just liked your wife.... ;-P