PDA

View Full Version : Hi There!

IWalton
12-18-2011, 07:37 PM
My name is Isaac, and I was officially diagnosed with Lupus on July 25th of this year. I have to say Lupus took me totally by surprise. In March of this year, my right hand swelled out of nowhere, went to the ER, and they sent me home with a Medrol dose pack. Got in to see a Rheumatologist super fast (as in 6 days fast) who told me I may be in the early stages of RA. By the time I saw him again in July, my feet were swollen so bad I could barely walk and my hands were red and bloated. Since my Rheumatologist is doing everything in his power not to place me on Prednisone, I've been on a cocktail of twice daily Plaquenil, Meloxicam, and Tramadol, with a Kenalog shot in the butt every 3 months. So far, so good, but it's getting cold in NE Ohio, and the cold weather is making the pains in my hands and feet worse by the day, plus I'm always tired to boot. So I'm in dire need of some good cold weather and Lupus survival tips.

I'm damn glad to have found this site, thanks for having me!

magistramarla
12-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Hi Isaac,
Welcome to WHL. We're glad that you found us, too.
We have a few really great guys on this site, including our moderator, Rob, and Steve in Australia. I'm sure that one of them will greet you soon, and that they will be able to tell you about the guys' perspective on all of this.

It's really common to have more than one overlapping autoimmune disease. I have Lupus, Sjogren's, RA and Psoriatic Arthritis, with some Raynaud's, Meniere's and Spasmodic Dysphonia thrown in. One doc thinks that I also have dystonia in my legs - Spastic Paraplegia.
I can't take steroids at all (history of Avascular Necrosis), and I'm violently allergic to Tramadol, so I'm surviving on Plaquenil and the occasional Aleve.

I have problems if the weather is too cold or too hot. Since Sjogren's causes dryness, I also hate extremely dry places. Luckily for me, the AF sent us to a place that is "just right" for me - LOL. My best advice for surviving the cold is to dress in layers. I'm sure that others will have other tips. If you search through the threads here, I know that we've had conversations about this before. Check out the threads and feel free to ask more questions.
Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
12-19-2011, 02:00 AM
hi isaac, and welcome.
good name, my son has that name also.
many of us have multiple problems also.

the best cure for cold weather, spend christmas with us in australia.
it is nice and warm.
but do not stay for our winter. i hurt real bad in winter.

you would be surprised to know, there are quite a few males who frequent here.
one of our moderators is rob. a good person to get to know.

again welcome.

debbie-b
12-19-2011, 05:26 AM
Welcome to WHL. I am glad that you found us. Hopefully you will find as much help as I did, from this site, when I was first diagnosed.
As for the cold here, yes it can be tough, but for me it is easier to handle than the extreme heat in Dallas.

Debbie

n.mac
12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Hello Issac,
I am a fifty yr old man from Chicago.I was diagnosed not quite 2 yrs ago and it took me quite by surprise as well.
I tolerate the cold much better than the heat,but so far this year we have had snow only twice with a total accumulation of aprox 3/4 of an inch.
today the temp was mid 40's so I certainly can't complain.
I have found this site to be very informative and thought provoking. It is amazing the conditions that can be affected by or caused by lupus that I previously had not connected to my condition.This site has helped prepare me to be a better patient,helped me to ask the right questions of my dr and I am more likely to point out issues which I previously thougt were unconnected to my lupus.
Welcome Niall