PDA

View Full Version : bit of a girly questions

Nat
12-15-2011, 04:33 AM
this is one for all the ladies - well ladies that have issues with blood clots....i may have narrowed down my target group now...

anyway just wondering if any one that has a clotting disorder has been told about what methods of contraception they can use? I was on the pill for about 6 years before i had a dvt and pulmonary emboli and as soon as i got that i was told i had to stop for obvious reasons. So i've asked heaps of questions to my doctors and they all say "go to the family planning clinic"....so off i go. As soon as i see a doctor who starts to get my medical history she says "You really should see your own doctor about this". I tell her they sent me here. So she does a little bit of research and came up with a document that basically tells you what method of contraception you can use depending on what health issue you have. Cut to her scrolling down to "SLE - and antiphospholipid syndrome" and saying "ooohhhhh, sorry"

It turns out there is only one possible method for girls who have SLE and clotting disorders. The copper IUD. So im thinking well this should be alright, last for 10 years and my health fund will cover it. Only catch is tho it can make your period REALLY bad. so this coupled with the fact that im on blood thinners, probably not going to be a great option.

Has anyone else had other information about what is suitable to use with clotting disorders?
Thanks

red246
12-15-2011, 06:46 AM
I don't really have any other suggestions other than the oldies: condoms, diaphragm, etc.... I personally would not use an IUD because of the potential issues that it can cause: heavier periods, infection, perforation of the uterus, spotting in between periods, back pain, miscarriage (it is still possible, although less than normal, for fertilization to take place).

Also, was just doing a bit more looking to make sure I had my facts straight, it says that it's not suggested for women w/bleeding disorders, especially if they are on blood thinners. Are you on blood thinners?

I hope this helps. Sorry I couldn't give you anymore suggestions.

Gizmo
12-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Nat, clotting problems really do cut down your options. My daughter had an IUD with progesterone and it worked it's way out twice on it's own. Now she has a progesterone implant in her arm (don't know if you have those there). We have been told by several doctors that progesterone doesn't increase clotting risk.

Hunniebun
12-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Nat, clotting problems really do cut down your options. My daughter had an IUD with progesterone and it worked it's way out twice on it's own. Now she has a progesterone implant in her arm (don't know if you have those there). We have been told by several doctors that progesterone doesn't increase clotting risk.

Then would Depo Provera work? It is progesterone too. I get a shot of that every 3 months to treat Endometriosis, as I am not sexually active right now or trying to get pregnant.

Gizmo
12-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Then would Depo Provera work? It is progesterone too. I get a shot of that every 3 months to treat Endometriosis, as I am not sexually active right now or trying to get pregnant.

That's a question to ask your OB/GYN, even if I did venture an answer - you shouldn't trust it LOL. I believe there are progesterone-only birth control pills, but it's definitely a topic to have a discussion about if you have clotting problems. My younger daughter's PTT and viper venom tests just came back elevated, so we may be looking at this issue down the road as well. Please let us know what you find out.

Nat
12-16-2011, 03:50 AM
thanks for the responses guys. anything with progesterone is a no go for me unfortunately the rheumatologist doesnt think its a good idea with the clotting disorder and lupus. Red, I am on blood thinners which is why my options have been cut down heaps, cant have the implanon (the implant in the arm) depo injections or anything else other than the copper iud because it doesnt release hormones.
Gizmo, will let you know how it works out so you have somewhere to start with your daughter if needed down the track!

lucky7
12-16-2011, 01:22 PM
How about Mirena? Im going to get one inserted in January because of my endimetreosis. It stops your periods in 6 months to 1 yr after insertion. I cant have anything released into my bloodstream due to my health issues and the Mirena only releases the hormone levonorgestrel into your uterus. It lasts for 5 years and if there are any problems then your dr just takes it right out! You can get a new one put in every 5 yrs as needed. My OBGYN has one in and she says she LOVES IT! This is supposed to slow downn and/or stop my endimetreosis, so hopefully NO SURGERY in the future!!! GOOD LUCK!!!