PDA

View Full Version : New-just diagnosed with Class V Lupus Membranous Nephritis

chowell0728
12-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Hey everyone, I am new to the site, searching for anyone who can help out. I was recently diagnosed with Class V Lupus Membranous Nephritis. Nephrologist and Rheumatologist have put me on Plaquenil, Lisinipril, CellCept, and Predisone. Looking to talk with anyone who has the same diagnosis just to compare notes. If anyone is interested please post a message. I am experiencing a lot of side effects from the meds and still a little worried about the more side effects especially from the CellCept. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gizmo
12-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Welcome Chowell! Things are unusually quiet around here, and I'm sorry there aren't more responses to your post. Please don't take it personally. Everyone just has a lot going on. I don't have lupus nephritis, but I have been on plaquinil and prednisone. Plaquinil was easy for me to tolerate and helped for many years. Unfortunately, I am finding out how much it was helping because I had to stop taking it due to eye toxicity. Just make sure you get your eyes checked every 6 months and you will be fine. Prednisone side effects are very dose dependent. The more you take, the worse the side effects are. I really don't have any at 5mg a day. I haven't tried CellCept, but I am on another immunosupressant (Imuran) and haven't had problems with that, either. There are folks on this site who have had side effects from all of those drugs, so I guess I've been lucky.

Please read through past posts. You can do a search to see if anyone has posted on your specific type of lupus. It is a scary sounding name, so I imagine the disease itself is causing you significant problems. I hope you stick around and continue to post.

steve.b
12-13-2011, 09:24 PM
hello chowell,
and welcome.
i do not have nephritis either,
but wanted to say hi.

lizbond36
12-14-2011, 07:04 AM
I also don't have Nephritis but someone will come along and send you a relpy :-)
Welcome to the family
Hugs
Liz

Saysusie
01-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Hello and Welcome to our Family;
I do not have Membranous Nephritis either. However, I did some research on the condition and just wanted to provide you with some of the information that I found so that you will have a better understanding of the condition. I do hope that someone else, with personal experience, will respond to you.

Renal disease is a common symptom in SLE and lupus nephritis comprises one-fifth of all cases of renal disease.

The two medical terms for the kidney (renal) disease that occurs in systemic lupus erythematosus are lupus nephritis or lupus glomerulonephritis. It is estimated that about one-third of people with lupus will develop nephritis that requires medical evaluation and treatment. Lupus nephritis is an important and potentially serious symptom of lupus.
The loss of protein in the urine from lupus nephritis may then lead to fluid retention with weight gain and swelling (edema). This is often the first symptom noticed of lupus nephritis.

There are very few signs or symptoms of lupus nephritis: It does not cause pain in the abdomen or back. However, when protein leaks from the kidneys, it is eliminated from the body in the urine. Foamy, frothy urine and getting up to urinate during the night can suggest excessive protein loss.The edema generally appears as puffiness in the feet, ankles and legs. This swelling will be absent in the morning, but will gradually worsen as the person walks about during the day. Often the signs of lupus nephritis are seen only in urine studies.

Membranous nephritis is a slowly progressive disease of the kidney that usually affects patients between the ages of 30 and 50 years. This condition is caused by circulating immune complex. The immune complexes are formed by the binding of antibodies to antigens in the glomerula membrane. The antigens may be deposited there from somewhere else by the systemic circulation. The immune complex serves an an activator that triggers a response from the C5b-C9 complememnts, which form a membrane attack complex (MAC) on the glomerula epithelial cells. This, in turn, stimulates the release of proteases and oxidants by the mesangial and epithelial cells, damaging the capillary walls and causing them to become "leaky". In addition, the epithelial cells also seem to secrete an unknown mediator that reduces the nephrin synthesis and distribution.

Lupus Membranous Nephropathy is generally associated with excessive protein loss and edema; it is typically treated with high doses of corticosteroids (such as the Prednisone that you are taking) and sometimes includes treatment with immunosuppressive drugs (such as the Cellcept). Patients with membranous lupus nephropathy should be treated early with angiotensin antagonists to minimize proteinuria, as well as lifestyle changes and appropriate drugs to reduce attendant cardiovascular risk factors. Your treatment regimen fits this recommendation, especially in light of the fact that it is also recommended that corticosteroids (like Prednisone) are of little benefit when used alone. They should be combined with immunosuppressants (such as the Cellcept that you are taking). Immunosuppressants combined with corticosteroids have shown to be effective in slowing down the progression of membranous nephropathy."

I hope that this information has been somewhat helpful to you. Please let us know if you need anything further and please do not hesitate to post if you have any questions, or if you just want to talk :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie