PDA

View Full Version : feels like a dead end

Mica
12-12-2011, 04:45 PM
So things got from okay to really bad in a week and I am not talking about my health. Basically my mother works two jobs to pay for my medical stuff and I completely dependent on her right now because I am unable to work. She has two masters and is a high school teacher also working a part time job at a clothing store. I love her for everything she has sacrificed for me and my sister now after 12 years of working at the same school she got fired and the district is trying to put her in jail. Now she has done nothing illegal, all she had was a couple of hydros on her and she does have a prescription for it. The school is going after her because she didn't have the bottle on her. I don't think she is going to go to jail but the school has ruined her career and has made it impossible to never teach again. Insurance is going to end soon so if anyone knows any programs that supplies free medication I would appreciate that. Were probably going to loose the house and everything my mother has worked for. Right now I can't even really let it all sink in it's easier to not let myself get emotionally involved with it all. It's easier to make it day to day, it's almost like rose colored glasses to make it through this. I don't have any friends to lean on for support so I decided to turn to my lupus friends on this one and to vent out whats going on to someone other than my mother. I could really use nothing short of a miracle right now.

debbie-b
12-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi Mica,

I don't think your mom has anything to worry about, if she had a prescription for those pills, she is not going to go to jail.
I am sorry you now have to go through this finacial struggle.
Unfortunately I don't know of any programs that supply free meds.
But Im want you to know, that you can always come here for support.

Debbie

ritzbit
12-12-2011, 06:12 PM
There was a thread on here that I think mentioned specific programs like that in Texas. I will try to find it for you.

ritzbit
12-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Found it. It talks about some program in Texas that helps with this kind of stuff. http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?10546-Ticked-off!!/page3&highlight=insurance+texas

steve.b
12-12-2011, 06:27 PM
try this link

http://www.pparx.org/en/about_us

hopefully it will help.

Gizmo
12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi Mica. I am so sorry you family is going through this, especially during the holidays. I agree with debbie-b, if your mom has a prescription and was taking the hydro for the condition for which it was prescribed, she can't be prosecuted. If her actions weren't endangering students, I don't know how the school district could go after her. There are attorneys that specialize in wrongful termination and slander. They usually take 50% if there is money awarded, but don't get anything unless they win. If your mom has to take the hydro because of a disability, then ADA laws would apply.

rob
12-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Hi Mica,

I'm sorry that things are so difficult for you and your Mom right now.

In regards to the prescription drug issue, I can't speak to the policies that her employer may have, but I can speak to the overall legal side. If a person is found by law enforcement to be in posession of a scheduled drug (a drug with high potential for abuse), and they do not have the bottle also in their posession, that person will be arrested for posession of a controlled substance without a prescription. It is illegal to carry a scheduled drug on one's person without the bottle, even if you have a legal prescription for said drug. You have to be able to immediately prove that the drugs you have been found to be in posession of have been legally prescribed to you, and the bottle is that proof.

A good comparison would be if I were found to be in posession of a concealed weapon without my concealed weapon permit physically on my person. I would be arrested and charged with carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, even though I have indeed been issued a valid concealed carry permit.

However, once it has been proven in court that the person in posession of the scheduled drug did indeed have a legal prescription for said drug at the time of arrest, the illegal posession charge could be, and in most cases would be dropped, and the person would probably end up just paying a fine. All of this differs of course from state to state, and from case to case.

I may not agree with the law, but those are the facts. In regards to your mom, I think she's been treated terribly by her employer over this. I used to be in business, and had I discovered one of my employees had scheduled prescription meds on them without the bottle, and they could prove to me that they do have a prescription, I certainly would not fire that employee. I'd simply advise the employee to be sure to have the bottle on them at all times to avoid any future hassle or possible legal problems. And that would be it. Problem solved.

To ruin a person's career over such a chickens**t thing like this is just wrong. I hope that your mom fights this and receives some measure of justice for what I would consider to be wrongful termination.

Rob

Mica
12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the support guys, and i'm not really worried about the legal problems. To Rob though I don't think we can fight it though even though technically my mother didn't do anything wrong, mostly she wouldn't because I think she just doesn't want to deal with that district anymore and more importantly couldn't fight it because no money and I really doubt she would be rewarded any. Plus whats the point in fighting it because the damage is done and I highly doubt another school would take her now. Let me just say though she's not really upset about not teaching anymore just mostly how they're going about it. We'll have to do some major cut backs here at my house but I think we can make it work, mostly I worry about my medical stuff.

rob
12-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the support guys, and i'm not really worried about the legal problems. To Rob though I don't think we can fight it though even though technically my mother didn't do anything wrong, mostly she wouldn't because I think she just doesn't want to deal with that district anymore and more importantly couldn't fight it because no money and I really doubt she would be rewarded any. Plus whats the point in fighting it because the damage is done and I highly doubt another school would take her now. Let me just say though she's not really upset about not teaching anymore just mostly how they're going about it. We'll have to do some major cut backs here at my house but I think we can make it work, mostly I worry about my medical stuff.

Yeah, you're right. Regardless of the outcome, in situations like this the damage has already been done. I just hate to hear about these sort of situations where the letter of the law is followed rather than the spirit of the law. These statutes were enacted to put a dent in illegal trafficking of prescription drugs, not to harass law abiding citizens taking legally prescribed meds that they need.

I hope you, your Mom, and your family get this worked out the best way you can.

Rob

magistramarla
12-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Hi Mica,
I'm sorry that your Mom is going through this. I used to teach in a Texas public school and I know how awful those districts can be.
If your Mom still wants to teach, would it be possible for her to apply at private schools? A private school might be a bit more sane about such things.
Best of luck to you.
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
12-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Sorry to read this stressful news.

Most teachers are part of a union. Your mom's union should represent her for no charge. Even if she doesn't want her job back, she can get her name "cleared" and her record cleaned so it doesn't reflect any acts of wrongdoing. I would strongly encourage her to contact her union rep. ASAP

magistramarla
12-14-2011, 10:57 PM
BonusMom,
Remember Texas is one of those awful "right to work" states. When I was teaching there, very few teachers in my school were in unions, and joining was looked upon as a general waste of money. Unions have no power at all in that state. That is why wages are so low, the districts get by with "opting out" of SS, and teachers are treated like second-class citizens and scapegoats for whatever goes wrong.
I'm just a bit bitter about the frakin' retirement system losing $10K of my money and keeping me from paying into SS.
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
12-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Oops! My bad. I didn't realize the OP was in TX. You, of all people, would know of the injustices to teachers in TX.

lucky7
12-16-2011, 01:10 PM
OMG Mica! I am so SORRY! Those darn "curve balls" SUCK dont they! And sometimes they just keep coming! My thoughts are with you and your mom! Just try to keep your spirits HIGH with the GOOD in your life! Sometimes we think there isnt any good, BUT when we take a good look, there is. Even if you take a look out your window its amazing what can make you smile just from mother nature alone! The little things are REALLY BIG when we NEED them to be! Soak it all in in those really tough moments! WOO HOO to the LITTLE THINGS!!!!