PDA

View Full Version : New here...

ShnnUVA
11-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi everyone! I am new to this website and so happy to have found it! I was diagnosed with lupus almost a year ago (wow!) after the birth of my son. He was diagnosed with neonatal lupus at 3 months of age- I wouldn't have understood my symptoms if it hadn't been for an amazing group of practitioners who diagnosed him. His lupus was only cutaneous (thankfully!!), and he shouldn't have any long term problems. I am a nurse who works 12 hour shifts, so sometimes I find it difficult to keep up with life the way that I use to. I'm really looking forward to having all of you as a resource and sounding board, especially on the days when it seems as if no one understands. So far I have experienced what I would consider mild symptoms in comparison to some of you, I thank my lucky stars for that every day. I generally have joint pain and overwhelming fatigue at times, but for the most part I'm learning how to navigate my new "normal". Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say, "Nice to meet you"!

SleepyInSeattle
11-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Wow - 3 months - that's rough!!!! But I'm glad to hear the prognosis is good for your boy, and that your symptoms are on the mild end. Heck - with a new baby, I think it's hard NOT to feel pretty cruddy - but Lupus on top of it is doubly draining!!!!

I am also on the mild end of the spectrum so far (and hope it stays that way)...other than occasional flares...and I'm new to this group (Dx'd a couple of months ago). I really appreciate the kindness here and the encouragement and humor, as well as having a place to vent.

Gizmo
11-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Welcome! I am so glad you found us, too. I have my BSN, but haven't worked as a nurse (or a 12 hour shift) for about 20 years. I can't imagine doing that now, so hat's off to you! This is a wonderful group of people that have a lot of collective experience. As you know, doctors don't always (often) see eye-to-eye with the patients who live with a disease, so it IS nice to have a place to sound off when things aren't going the way you want them to.

steve.b
11-27-2011, 07:46 PM
hi, and welcome.

i am glad you found us also.

Cass
11-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi there. How great is this site? I am glad to hear that your baby shoudl be fine. Poor you though. My symptoms became really strong when my second child was 9 mths old. i am still waiting for a definitive diagnosis.

Cass xx

Linda From Australia
11-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm learning how to navigate my new "normal". Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say, "Nice to meet you"!

I also would like to extend a warm welcome and to let you know it is also very nice to meet you.

kim,l
11-28-2011, 03:15 PM
welcome to whl hope you find the answers you need here and know we are here to support you as much as we can.

tgal
11-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Welcome to WHL! We are so glad that you found us and so very glad that the the "little one" isn't fighting a difficult battle!

Welcome aboard!

magistramarla
11-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Hi and welcome to WHL,
I'm also glad that your little guy isn't very sick. Working and taking care of a new baby can be tiring for anyone. When I was a La Leche League leader, we told Moms to just cuddle up in bed or on the couch with the little one and sleep when he does whenever you are home. I know that this is hard to do for anyone who has to keep up a home and family, but getting that rest is especially important for you.
We're glad that you've joined us.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
11-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Welcome to our group ShnnUVA!

Please make yourself at home,

Rob