PDA

View Full Version : Update from Rheumy Appt Yesterday

Mommyof1
11-23-2011, 07:24 AM
So I traveled the 3 hours to my Rheumatologist in Baltimore. She checked me over and since currently I am not flaring like I was a few weeks ago she decided I should still taper the Prednisone from my current 2mg and try to come off of it. She also added Lyrica for pain management and started me off at a baby dose due to my weight of 50mg. She also decided I should go back to using a Prednisone rinse for ulcers instead of oral Pred to see if it helps to keep me from needing to take it all the time. If this does not work she will add a little Imuran to my treatment. Speaking of my weight, she is not sure why it is so low even with adding salt and processed foods to my diet, as well as Boost with extra calories. I have been doing this for about 2 months now with no results. She is curious to see what my thyroid is doing as well as my cortisol from taking the Pred since last February. I got a whole mess of blood work done and urine. They took 13 small viles of blood! I know she tested my antibodies again as well and my iron, etc. She put me on an annual blood draw every 2 months to see if we can catch how my body is fluctuating in and out of flares. If I can't seem to stop flaring without the Pred or have to keep going back to it, she will want to start either Azathioprine or Cellcept. We will see how everything comes into play. Let the games begin!.....(sarcasm) lol -Lupie Britt aka LadyBug

Saysusie
11-23-2011, 07:56 AM
While I am sorry that you are having so many difficulties, I am glad to hear that you have a doctor who is thorough and caring. I hope that with her plans, your work, and the meds, you can get your symptoms under control and, at least, keep them manageable. I wish you the best of luck and, again, am thankful that you have a concerned and pro-active doctor :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Mommyof1
11-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks Saysusie. I am too. I've seen her since the beginning 3 years ago before diagnosis so she knows my case....Hopefully we will get this under control one day. *hugs* -Britt

P.S. Here are the tests that were ordered from my rheumy:

-CBC/Electronic Diff
-ESR
-Russell Viper
-Cardiolipin
-Anti SCL 70
-A.N.C.A. (-P and -C)
-Immunofixation-electrophesis serum, Ummunoglo quant
-Immunoglobulin(Ig) panel Quant, Serum
-Lyme Disease
-ANA
-Anti DNA
-Anti-RNP + Anti-SM
-Anti Ro/LA
-C3/C4
-Rheumatoid Factor
-CMP
-C-Reactive Protein
-CK
-Vit D 25
-Anti- Beta 2 glycoprotein
-TPMT
-Cortisol
-Creatinine, Urine
-Protein, Urine
-Ferritin
-Thyroid Testing Algorithm
-Urine Dipstick
-Urine Microscopic
-Cyclic Citruline Peptide IgG

Dx: 710.0 aka SLE

magistramarla
11-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi Britt,
It's good to see you here again. Wow, your rheumy is thorough. That is good to see.
It sounds as though she has some good strategies.
Hang in there - and keep eating - you lucky thing! We all wish that we could eat and not gain weight, and here you are needing to gain it.
I've got an extra 20 lbs. that I wish I could send you- LOL.
Hugs,
Marla

Mommyof1
11-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Marla....LOL I have to say you are def not the first person who has offered me weight....It's strange because usually women after having children gain it and their metabolism slows etc....Well it seems after both of mine it's sped up and I've lost more and weighed less than I ever have. But I guess that's just like most women flare with their pregnancies...I went into remission and it got worse after each child...guess I'm just an oddball lol...whoever heard of a rare case of "Lupie"?? lol

magistramarla
11-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Britt,
I always lost weight quickly after I had my babies, too. I was usually back into my jeans by the six week check-up. I kept the weight off the entire time that I nursed them (2 years), but I usually managed to be preggers again before the baby weaned.
I started to put on the extra weight soon after the last baby weaned and then started to have the first glimmers of AI symptoms soon after that.
I think that I was healthiest and happiest when I was pregnant and nursing.
Ah, I miss those days!
Hugs,
Marla

n.mac
11-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Funny how that works it seems I have been gaining weight steadily since my wives (married twice) have given birth!
Niall

Gizmo
11-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Britt, thanks for the update. I agree with the others that it sounds like your doctor is really on top of things. Thank is a huge thing to be thankful for. I take azothioprine and have zero side effects, so if you end up going that route, it's not so bad. Some rheumies think it's safer in the long run than steroids.

steve.b
11-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Funny how that works it seems I have been gaining weight steadily since my wives (married twice) have given birth!
Niall

must be tooooooooooooomuch celebrating.
or is it that they know the way to oyur heart is through your stomach

lol

Mommyof1
12-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Niall

Don't feel bad,my boyfriend went through a pregnancy with his ex-wife and part of my and the delivery with me. He gained weight both times too as well as had the cravings for us both! xD