PDA

View Full Version : Surgery - Any Thoughts

mdawncooper
11-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Well the MRI showed I have a torn meniscus and I will have surgery on Wednesday. It should be in and out day surgery but I wonder if my Lupus will make the recovery a little harder, etc.

Gizmo
11-19-2011, 08:23 AM
I've had 2 laproscopic surgeries since being diagnosed. They gave me IV steroids in the OR with both. The surgeon told me with the second surgery that I could return to work the next day, but there was NO WAY. Took me about a week to get to that point. I also got a cellulitis (skin infection) at one of the puncture sites, but otherwise it went quite well. I am facing surgery again and am hoping they can use the laproscope one more time!

Best wishes to you. I'm sorry you will be spending Thanksgiving laid up, but hopefully everyone will treat you like a queen and you can just supervise.

Desleywr
11-19-2011, 04:52 PM
I have two recent surgery lap style both my left lung collapsed and the second one was over 8 hrs and had to deal with a lot of internal scaring. This also could be related to my other conditions one suspected and not confirmed is scleroderma.

magistramarla
11-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I had arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus and Avascular Necrosis in Dec., 2008. The surgeon told me that I could be back to normal the following Monday, too - HA!
I was teaching, so I had all of winter break to recover. I started using a rollator at school that semester and it really helped.
At the six week check-up, the doc told me that I should be 100%. I was not! I asked for physical therapy, but he just rudely told me to get up earlier and go to a gym to work out. Needless to say, I never saw that doc again!
A few months later, I was still in pain, and my new rheumatologist there in SA took a sample of the synovial fluid and found that it was infected. She treated me with antibiotic injections and injected some artificial synovial fluid. She also started me on plaquenil and MTX. Finally, my knee healed and my joints haven't been a problems since.
I would suggest that you arrange for physical therapy. I think that it is much better than just going to a gym. I have one here in CA that has a huge whirlpool with a treadmill built into it - I kid you not! I'm going there for the spasming leg muscles that are my biggest problem now. I wish that I would have had that water therapy after my surgery.
I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday.
Bona Fortuna,
Marla

mdawncooper
11-24-2011, 04:18 PM
I happy to report that my surgery went well. I had to be at the surgery center at 5 in the morning and was home by 9. The doctor was able to fix the torn meniscus and mentioned to my husband there were some areas he fixed too. I guess I will find those details out at my next visit. I am pretty sore this evening and he is encouraging me to walk on it but have to admit I would love some crutches right now but trying to tough it out. Hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving.

Melanie

magistramarla
11-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Melanie,
I was sent home from the hospital with a silver metal walker. However, Jeff went to Sam's and bought me a rollator with a seat on it for $100. It was a great investment.
I used it in school that semester - I even sat on it to teach the class.
I've had to start using it again around the house since my muscles have been tightening up so much. The thing is a lifesaver!
I'm really surprised that you weren't given one of those hospital walkers!
If nothing else, the drugstores sell nice folding canes.
Take care of yourself.
Hugs,
Marla