PDA

View Full Version : My beloved boxer has cancer

chikititalinda
11-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Im going crazy worrying about my 3 1/2 yr old boxer Rocky. I took him to the vet tuesday to check a lump on his shoulder and they determined its cancer. He was so good during the examination they aspirated with three needles and I cried for him. Hes scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning and Im really afraid. Im hoping they can get it all and that it doesn't return. Rocky is my baby, we treat him as the youngest child in the house, and I've never met a dog as spoiled as him. WE love him so much its unexplainable. Oh God : ' (

I had to come up with $1000 I didnt know I had. Its hard enough for us financially because I'm only getting a partial check and hubby is not working a full time job either. Shoot I don't care if I have to take a loan to pay for this.

My family is also worried about me stressing so much, I'm already in a flare and out on dissability because of it. So I hope it doesn't get any worse. thanks for listening, my heart is really breaking with all this.

Goonie
11-17-2011, 04:46 PM
awww...one of the most awful things to hear as a pet owner. I am so sorry to hear about Rocky. Did they mention what kind of cancer? Many tumors can be removed with success and animals do pretty well afterwards. It's always scary to see our animals go into surgery, but as someone who works in a vet clinic I hope you know that as animals lovers, we always do our best to protect your animal and make sure they are safe and comfortable. I'll be thinking of you and Rocky tomorrow and wish him a full recovery. Good luck!

prothumos
11-17-2011, 04:50 PM
My heart is so breaking for you right now. But I wanted to tell you that my best friend is a certified dog trainer (her second job, lol) AND she raises boxers. They are her babies. The point of my rambling (sorry, major brain fog right now) is that one of her babies is dealing with multiple cancers; she's tried various things (can't think of the right word), some with more success than others. I know that she would be happy to talk with you if you're interested. Send me a message if you want and I'll try to connect the two of you. She's had a rough week with Crosby and I know that she would probably appreciate someone to talk with that really understands.
Hang in there and i'll be praying for you and Rocky.

Robin

kim,l
11-17-2011, 07:13 PM
so sorry to hear about rocky hope everything goes well for you hugs kim l

debbie-b
11-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I hope Rocky can fight this. I am very sorry, that you have to worry about your Baby.
Thinking about you.

Debbie

Gizmo
11-18-2011, 03:43 PM
How did things go for Rocky today? You are in my thoughts, pets really are members of the family.

chikititalinda
11-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Thank you for asking Gizmo and to the rest of you too. Surgery went well, hopefully they got it all. Goonie it was a Mast cell tumor. The problem is going to be keeping him still for two weeks, he's use to sleeping in our bed or our daughters bed and he's not allowed to go upstairs or jump on the sofa or even play with his toys. He's spoiled rotten and I don't know how this is going to work out for us, hes going to have a horrible two weeks : (
Hey robin, I swore I had replied to your message, Im sorry i don't know what happened! anyway id love to talk to her, she can email me if she'd like at chikititalinda1116@msn.com, it is nice to someone who understands just like us Lupies ; )

mdawncooper
11-18-2011, 09:27 PM
I am so sorry about your precious pet. We have one dog, two cats, and two bunnies so we love pets too. I am so glad to know that hopefully got all the tumor.

Goonie
11-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Glad to hear Rocky is doing well. Recovery can be tough but sometimes more on the owner than the animal. Give him a day or two and he more than likely will be happy and running around like normal, and it could be hard for you to keep him quiet. Mast Cell Tumors are definitely not a great thing but luckily are usually easy to remove. They can come back in the same spot or in different spots but in most cases can be removed with surgery and no other treatment is needed. Boxers are a wonderful breed but they do come with their baggage, cancer being one of them. Give him lots of TLC and I wish him a fast recovery.

rob
11-19-2011, 03:40 AM
Hi Linda,

I'm sorry to hear that Rocky was diagnosed with cancer, but I'm very glad to hear he did well with the surgery, and is on the mend. I have three cats, and they are considered family members. Like you, I'll do whatever it takes to make sure they are happy and healthy. Our four legged friends have a remarkable ability to bounce back after an injury or medical procedure.

With a little TLC, Rocky will be well on his way to a full recovery, and will be back to his usual self before you know it.

Rob

PS-I wish cancer would just go away, and leave the people and pets we love alone.

magistramarla
11-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi Linda,
I'm just now reading this, and I'm glad that Rocky is doing well. Conner, my service dog, had the same kind of tumor right at the base of his tail last summer. Meg took him to the vet that she works for, and it was simple to remove. He was all healed and doing fine by the time I picked him up last month. She did tell me to have him re-checked at least annually in case it grows back. Rocky will probably do just as well as Conner did.
Hugs,
Marla