PDA

View Full Version : Halloo out there....!

SleepyInSeattle
11-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Just introducing myself.

I'm 43, and like most people took a while to get diagnosed. I have known I had APS for about 20 years, but just figured out the Lupus and Sjogren's. Luckily, they're both relatively mild at the moment, with some flares, but nothing that's landed me in the hospital (let's hope it stays that way!!!). :laugh:

I am on Plaquenil and take Maxalt occasionally for migraines.

I am trying to stay off the drugs as much as possible and adjust diet, take supplements, get lots of rest, etc in order to manage things. Going off wheat has helped quite a bit. Sadly, so does abstaining from red wine, aged cheeses, smoked meats, and a lot of other wonderful things!!!! :grumpy:

Anyway - that's the basic story on why I am here. Always looking for suggestions and so on...and of course I am relatively new to all this so I have lots of questions.

So hello, and thanks for reading!!!!

jmail
11-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Hey there, SleepyInSeattle... why's there two T's in "Seattle" anyways?... Sorry... Welcome to the forums. Browse around, post some questions, vent, whatever. There are some wonderful people here that are really helpful.

You mention going with a gluten-free diet, and it has done wonders for me. IBS seems to be a common denominator for auto-immune folks. I'm not "celiac" (just "silly"), but apparently intolerant of wheat products. Dairy is another one for me also. So long as I lay off of it for the most part, I can usually do an occassional slice of cheddar, or maybe some parmesan on rice spaghetti (no tomatoes either, for some reason... nightshade?). Avoiding those foods has lessened the severity and frequency of my attacks (along with the medications), besides making me a happier, less bloated person... tic Folks around me appreciate it too!

The one thing I've been trying to do is the Mediteranean diet, but without the wheat or dairy. It's not an easy diet to begin with, for me, since I *loves* my cheeseburgers, fries and pizza, but ya do wutcha gotta do... Now, if I could just cut-out the candy (except chocolate, of course)... tic

SleepyInSeattle
11-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Ugh - yah, I don't even WANT to know if I am sensitive to dairy. Life without cheese ain't no kind of life for me! ;-P

jmail
11-15-2011, 11:34 PM
lolol... |;^)