PDA

View Full Version : Oral Thrush--Warning: Nasty tongue pics!

sharpiessave
11-12-2011, 01:59 PM
So at first I thought my tongue was just all messed up because of the Sjogren's. I would wake up in the morning with it stuck to my teeth and the roof of my mouth. Then it started hurting to eat, or drink, especially carbonated stuff. Then it started turning funky colors, and I was like, ". . .uh-oh".

I google imaged "sjogren's tongue" and the pics looked nothing like the nastiness I had going on. A few days later it dawned on me that it might be thrush. Google imaged that, and BAM! Exactly like my tongue. Went to the doc, and sure enough, I'm a newborn baby.

This is one of those symptoms I had absolutely no clue to expect. Apparently it happens in adults when you have a weakened immune system and take a lot of prednisone. My doc gave me liquid Nystatin that I have to swish around in my mouth until I can't stand it anymore, then swallow. It's by far the grossest treatment I've ever had to do. This stuff is chunky, and the chunks get stuck in between my teeth. And it's cherry/mint flavored. Ick!

Thought I'd post some pics (if I can figure out how, lol) just in case anybody else is having weird tongue stuff. That's a flashlight in the first one, in order to see the bumps in the back. It's also mislabled, cuz when I took that pic I thought it was Sjogren's related.

Mica
11-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Oh, I had that once! It sucked!! You get it when your mixing meds like anitbotics and I think it was the narcotics or steriods. Just don't anything really yeasty and eat more yogurt once the thrush clears up.

Saysusie
11-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Poor Thing :-( Thank you for providing the pics so that others can know what this condition looks like. I do hope the treatment (in spite of its nastiness) starts to work very soon and that you get some relief from the thrush. Hang in there :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tgal
11-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Poor thing! The good news is that the medicine works really well. You, and your tongue, should be feeling better in no time (I HATE Thrush!). A good thing to do to keep it in check is to eat some yogurt every day. Thrush is the same bacteria that causes yeast infections, just in a different place, and the yogurt will help not get either

debbie-b
11-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Oh man, sorry you have a icky tongue.
Do you have to swallow that yucky stuff, so it can also treat your throat as well? If not, I would just spit it out.
The rheumy gave me a med for mouth sores, I suppose to swish it around in my mouth, I can;t do that, I will gag and than vomit. So I just use a Q- Tip and dab it on the sores.

Debbie

sharpiessave
11-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks for all the sympathy guys. Sometimes I find that the most soothing thing for the moment is a kindly "Poor you". The medicine is already helping, thank goodness. And I bought a six pack of Yoplait yesterday. : ) I do have to swallow it after the swishing. So, so gross.

I forgot to mention the absolute worst part of this whole ordeal. This is the part that'll be funny, once the sting wears off. Picture Billy Crystal in The Princess Bride singing, "A little humiliation. . ." Thrush is commonly contagious between mother and infant, and rarely contagious between adults. Rarely: but it happens. Which means I had to man up and text the fella I've been smoochin' on and tell him what was going on. Yeah, I texted him. Cowardly, but necessary. Thank you, thank you, thank you, oh great inventor of the text message, cuz I only had to see my fingers shaking, instead of him hearing my voice shaking over the phone. It was definitely among my most humiliating moments. He was super cool about it, of course, cuz I wouldn't be smoochin' anyone less than super cool. And he has no symptoms at all, and has gotten a new toothbrush and knows what to look for.

You guys, I never, EVER, thought I'd have to pass along that kind of information! I mean, I've cancelled our plans before because he had the sniffles and I couldn't let myself be exposed to it. And there I was. . . Good grief. Ok, maybe since I didn't pass it on it's already a little bit funny. : )

GloryB
11-21-2011, 12:44 AM
I had this too, it was from my asthma sprays, not at all a great experience but fortunately you can get rid of it.