PDA

View Full Version : So what Can I do?

capncrunch
11-12-2011, 11:50 AM
I am trying to find a job, but it is very hard because i had flare ups during college so my gpa isn't very good. I don't know what to do...

Nonna
11-12-2011, 12:20 PM
it all depends on your GPA, if you averaged Cs, you're still in good shape. But what you are really up against is experience. There are so many out there looking for jobs, I don't know the unemoyment percentage in your area. But in this economy I don't think that GPAs are that important. All you can do is keep sending the resumes. Find any kind of a job you can. My degree is in French; I do accounting.

Just keep on trying, that's all anyone can do

magistramarla
11-12-2011, 12:44 PM
I think Nonna is right. I heard a lot about this on CNN last week. The "money experts" there suggested that you should accept an unpaid internship to get your foot in the door. They also suggested doing volunteer work - such as doing the accounting for a non-profit group if you are an accountant. This can get you that experience to add to your resume and you just might do some networking there that could lead to your big break.
Nonna is right about being flexible, too. My degree is in Latin and Ancient Greek. Since we moved around so much for Jeff's career, I didn't teach for a long time. I ran a daycare in my home in Mo.: worked as a midwife's assistant in Ok; sang with a semi-professional group in Oh; and then was a substitute teacher in Texas. That led to me being asked to start a Latin program in a brand new high school, so I finally got to have my teaching carreer (until my AI issues cut it short).
Think out of the box, follow your passions, and Bona Fortuna!
Hugs,
Marla

capncrunch
11-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks, My major is in mathematics and now of days C average is bad. With the current state of economics you need at least a B in order to get a good job.

steve.b
11-13-2011, 05:22 AM
the idea is to think outside the square.

i did not go to university.
i was a mechanic out of school. and joined the military for 12 years after that.

so when i was just over 30 i had to try to start my life all over again.

my next few jobs were diverse, but showed i was prepared to do anything.

assistant bar manager, cinematographer, owner operator of a mobile cinema, toilet cleaner, taxi driver, forklift driver, winery assembly line worker. the list went on.

1. find what you want to do,
2. then find a job that fits your job description.
3. find a company that has the type of employee you want to be.
4. start sending resumes and phone calls to these companies.

every month, follow up on your contacts.

my highest paid job was $160,000 pa. when the national average was about 50,000
my highest position was store manager of a 13 million dollar retail business.

never never give up.
always be honest.
my last 2 jobs, were told at my initial interview about my lupus.
and i still got both jobs.

Nonna
11-13-2011, 06:18 AM
It looks like you are still focused on GPA. What we are trying to say is think outside the box. Forget GPA.
Send resumes, look at internships, voluntary work, social networking. A lot of job offers come from friends of friends.

You are still thinking like a student; now it's time to think as a person. Don't let the academic mentality direct your focus. Open your mind to all possibilities.

Ihave faith in your ability to find your nitch in Life. You have to trust in yourself. "C" students are much better workers because they ask questions and aren't know it alls. ( note to all: not saying that all A/B students are - it just seems that way at times)

Go for it and open that door.

capncrunch
11-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I understand what you guys are saying I have done most of that stuff. Is there any other websites besides monster and dice that i can send my resumes to?

Nonna
11-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Pull up the site for the lOcal paper and their jobs section. Visit employment agencies like Randstandt. Decide what direction you want to go in with your degree- teaching? Research? Business?

You just have to keep on going and get a minimuin wage jog if you have to.

Don't rely on one thing; push multiple. Something may open up you never know
Hugs and prayers headed your way

capncrunch
11-14-2011, 08:08 PM
I appreciate your help nonna, steve and marla. I will go try multiple things to see if i can get anywhere. The worst i can do is probably just not get a job and collect disabled benefits :)

jmail
11-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Mathmeticians usually make good computer programmers, too...

prothumos
11-15-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm with Nonna.....stop focusing so much on your GPA and just shoot for an interview. If it comes up during the interview, you acknowledge it and turn a "weakness" into a strength: despite your struggle with lupus you persevered and made it through college; talk about how dealing with your illness better prepares you to handle difficult situations that you might encounter in a job, talk about your determination to not quit at anything, etc. These are all wonderful qualities that employers are looking for in the people they hire!
You can do this! I know you can! Hang in there and think positive!
Big hug to you,
Robin

capncrunch
11-16-2011, 07:58 PM
I was told that from some people that i shouldn't tell recruiters about my illness because if i would have a great risk in their company because i would have to take medical sickness through my flare ups....

steve.b
11-17-2011, 04:58 AM
I was told that from some people that i shouldn't tell recruiters ....

you have to be you.
what do you believe in your heart.

as i wrote earlier.
i told both of my last 2 employers.
but that was me.