PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veteran's Day

magistramarla
11-11-2011, 11:41 PM
To all of our US members who are Veterans,
Usually Rob writes this thread, but I know that he is distracted right now, so here goes:
To Rob, his Dad and all of our other members who have served in the military - we love and appreciate you.
To all veterans who were disabled in the service of your country - you have a special place in our hearts.
To all of us who have served by being military spouses, mothers and fathers, kids and other family members - we know what it is like to "keep the home fires burning" and we know what a challenge that is.
To all military family members who have paid the ultimate price and lost their loved one, we feel for you and keep you in our hearts.
To our friends in other countries - I'm not sure when you might salute your military veterans, but please allow those of us in the US to salute you today, too.
Hugs to all,
Marla

Husband Jeff - USAF
Son Tom - USMC
Son-in-law Tyler - USAF
Numerous brothers-in-law and other family members, too.

tgal
11-12-2011, 12:34 AM
What she said!

Happy Veteran's day to everyone here. My life would not be the same without each of you.

~CJ~
11-12-2011, 01:13 AM
My heartfelt thoughts go out to all those serving or have served for their country.

Both my parents serve in the Australian Army, but fortunately are here with me and ok.

rob
11-12-2011, 06:05 AM
To all of our US members who are Veterans,
Usually Rob writes this thread, but I know that he is distracted right now,

Thank you Marla,

I really appreciate you picking up the ball and running with it. Thanks for starting this thread. I am indeed a bit distracted these days.

I spent the day yesterday with Dad, and we went and watched the Veterans Day Parade downtown. It was really a great event. And despite the rather cold and wet weather, there were record crowds in attendance. The generosity and respect of people here towards our Veterans is really an inspiring thing to see.

The sign this fellow put together pretty much says it all-

Click for Fullsize-

debbie-b
11-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Marla,

Very nicely said. I can't add anything to that.

THANK YOU VETERANS.

Debbie

steve.b
11-12-2011, 07:11 AM
i love to see real appreciation for our heroes.

all to often all i see is the bad side.

i spent just over 12 years in uniform, and my family paternal still dont understand.

to all who reply to this thread .........
thank you for restoring a little faith in our human nature.

rob
11-12-2011, 08:00 AM
i love to see real appreciation for our heroes.

all to often all i see is the bad side.

i spent just over 12 years in uniform, and my family paternal still dont understand.

to all who reply to this thread .........
thank you for restoring a little faith in our human nature.

We have a really nice tradition here in my community. There is a top-notch and rather expensive steak and seafood restaurant down on the waterfront. It's a very popular place with both tourists and locals, and the food is excellent. A few years ago, the owner decided to show his appreciation by offering a free meal to any Veteran on Veterans day. A Vet can walk in, and order anything on the menu, and it's 100% on the house. A Vet can order up a Filet Mignon and fresh lobster if they want, and it's totally free.

Dad and I quickly peeked in the door of the restaurant yesterday after the parade, and the group of WWII Vets who marched in the parade were all in there just having a great time, and were being treated like Royalty. That really made me smile. And now, pretty much every restaurant in town does the same thing.

Dad and I drove by the place later in the afternoon and there were guys from the Vietnam and Korean Veterans groups there, as well as a bunch of active duty personnel from the various military bases in our area, and they were really living it up. The old Vets, the young guys, all together drinking, singing, laughing. But the best part, was driving around town and seeing this exact same scene being played out at pretty much every restaurant in town.

It was really a wonderful thing to see.

Rob

magistramarla
11-12-2011, 01:14 PM
That is a nice community! The restaurant owners are smart. By investing in the Vets, they are probably gaining some new "regulars", who will be paying customers the rest of the year. I know that if I have the choice between a business that gives a military discount and one that doesn't, the one that supports the military always gets my business.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
11-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Many men in my family have served and I feel blessed to have our military men and women keeping us safe =) My cousin is currently in Kandahar Afghanistan. Thankfully his dad, my uncle, is safe at home right now =)

rob
11-12-2011, 09:14 PM
That is a nice community! The restaurant owners are smart. By investing in the Vets, they are probably gaining some new "regulars", who will be paying customers the rest of the year. I know that if I have the choice between a business that gives a military discount and one that doesn't, the one that supports the military always gets my business.
Hugs,
Marla

Hi Marla,

I'm very fortunate to live in, and to be a part of such a community. The care and generosity of the people here in Maine for our Veterans is really something.

The airport here, Bangor International Airport, is with a few exceptions, the last stop for troops heading to the Middle East, as well as the first U.S. soil they will stand upon when they return. We have an organization here called The Maine Troop Greeters. It's a group of people from all parts of the community who organize either a send-off, or a welcome home at the airport for our troops.

Whenever a flight is incoming, or outgoing, the Troop Greeters are informed, and their office, which is right at the terminal gate at B.I.A., gets ready. Regardless of time of day, the Troop Greeters show up with hugs, handshakes, homemade cookies and food of all sorts, and most importantly, dozens of cellphones with unlimited calls to anywhere the incoming or outgoing troops want to call, and for as long as they want to talk, all for free. Simply telling your family that you are finally home and safe right now, rather than a day later when you reach your post, means everthing.

It's all donated by local people and businesses, and there is never a lack of interest or participation. Many of the Veterans who marched in yesterday's parade, are the same people who line the concourse at B.I.A. to say good luck and Godspeed to those leaving, or simply, welcome home, to those returning. My Mom is active with the group, and her homemade cookies never survive the first wave that gets on, or comes off the plane.

The greetings, and the send-offs became something quite personal when my friend Jon left for the Middle East, and was shortly thereafter, killed in action in Mosul, Iraq, in December of 2007. It became even more personal to my family when my Nephew, who is a member of U.S. Army Special Forces, returned home safely after his first tour in Iraq. His flight was to land in Bangor last week, and we would have a couple of hours to visit before the plane went on to his group's base here stateside. His flight ended up going directly to his base rather than stopping in Bangor first. It would have been great to greet him here, but we are just happy to have him back in the states safe.

Rob

PS-It's good to have you back Marla!