PDA

View Full Version : Question for our cat lovers here.

debbie-b
11-10-2011, 07:05 AM
I have two cats, one long haired cat that always looses alot of fur this time of the year. My other cat is short haired, we have had her for almost four years now, she has never shed any of her fur, but now she is loosing hair on her back ( a long narrow stripe) and on both sides, the size of a childs hand. She acts the same as always, she eats like a pig( always has), she plays and is up to no good, all day long. She will get rolled up socks out of the drawer ( if not fully closed), carries the socks to her waterbowl and puts them in the water. She is alot of fun, very loving and always wants attention and "talks" all day long.
Do I have to worry about her loosing her fur? The spots where she has lost some hair, are not bald, it is still hairy. Do any of your short hair cats loose their fur?

Debbie

tgal
11-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Wish I could help but I am new to the "cat" crew. I have always been a dog person and I am on my first year of having a cat too. Let me know!

Hunniebun
11-10-2011, 11:53 AM
If there are empty patches that is too much fur being lost. Make sure your cats do not have fleas or any other sort of bug such as mange. If you have the money you should take your cat to the vet to be looked at. If it's not balding then that's a good thing. Does your other cat play rough and rip fur off your second cat? Does it over groom or rub against things?

Angel Oliver
11-10-2011, 04:39 PM
If im not mistaken ,it happens to Oliver,its a reaction to a flea bite.Your cat sounds like hes been bitten and thats the reaction fur loss.You'll need to take him/her for a check up to be sure.Last summer oliver had a stripe right down his back of bald pink skin.Turns out hes allergic to the actual flea bite.Can be serious if it is,so send him/her for a check up.(could be exma or few other things)
My cat Oliver is poorly at the mo and as ive posted my Soosie died on Monday.Its a house of fretting animals n humans now.Enjoy every minute with them.
love
Amanda.xxxx

Nonna
11-10-2011, 07:54 PM
I agree with Amanada, sounds like an allergic reaction; calls for a trip to the vet. (tee hee, may cat has lupus). Little humor there. Most animal will loss their fur at one point or another. Always safest to check with the vet, just as you check with the doc for yourself.

ruziska
11-10-2011, 09:15 PM
My cat had the same problem. I came home one day to find he had no hair on his hind leg. The skin looked fine. Overall the cat looked healthy. We don't have a flea problem here and my cats are strictly indoor cats. It was perplexing to say the least. Until a couple hours later when I cat one cat literally pulling the fur out of the other cat. Yes, my orange cat suffers from being bullied by the much younger and bigger cat. I stop them when I catch them, but like most bullies, he does it when no one else is around. This from the same 2 cats that sleep curled up together and wash each other's ears. Love/hate relationship? If you are certain one cat isn't pulling the fur out of the other, then call your vet for advice. My cat fur mystery was an easy one to solve, hope yours is too.

kim,l
11-10-2011, 09:53 PM
i agree with others it could be and allergic reaction to fleas or something else better to get it checked out

debbie-b
11-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Thank you guys for all the replies.
I know it is not fleas or other bugs, I have checked.
The cats get along very well, so that is not it either.
I am going to wait a few days, if it gets worse, I will take her to the vet.

Debbie

magistramarla
11-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi Debbie,
I agree with others here - if you have ruled out fleas and fighting with your other cat, it could well be allergies. You said that your kitty eats well - she may have developed a food allergy. My service dog has allergies. I have to be very careful with what he eats, and I've noticed that he itches after being out in grasses and weeds.
Also, he reacted terribly after sleeping on the carpet when we were staying at a motel. I think that it was the chemicals used to clean the carpet. Have you tried any new cleaning supplies lately?
I hope that some of these thoughts help.
Hugs,
Marla

~CJ~
11-12-2011, 01:15 AM
I would be surprised if it's too serious without any other symptoms ie redness/itchyness. Definitely might be worth an elimination/ RAW diet though to see if there are any triggers there.

debbie-b
11-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I think, I might have figured it out.
It might be anxiety to change, that is what Mr Google said.
We were on vacation a few weeks ago, for one week. The years before, I had my friend come over every day, feed them and clean the litterbox. Well this year my friend "had" to go out of town, the week I was in Texas. A coworker of mine offered to take care of my babies, but she could only come every other day, because of work and the distance she had to drive. So we bought a feeding station, which holds enough food and water for four weeks, we also put out a second litterbox ( they usually share one). We knew they would be ok, for two days, until my co- worker came to take care of them, new food, fresh water and two clean litter boxes.
But maybe the little one felt abandoned and scared, because she was used to have human contact every day.
I think that might be the reason, that she is licking herself and looses her hair. The vet on that web site said to discourage the cat fron licking herself and to give her special attention. Which is easy to do, because she demands attention.
So I think my baby was depressed, because we were gone.
I feel so bad now. Next year somebody has to come daily.

Debbie

magistramarla
11-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Debbie,
That could very well be the answer. Some cats really don't react well to a change in their routine. We've trained ours to the big feeder long ago, and they do quite well by themselves if we are gone no longer than two or three nights. However, Dax will show his displeasure by shredding the toilet paper in both bathrooms. I have to make sure to remove the TP from the holders before we leave, then he does fine. Weird cat!
Here's a suggestion: PetSmart and Petco sell something called the Calming Collar. It smells wonderful and it has a very relaxing effect on animals. We put them on our boys when we moved and kept them on for a while in the new place. We also put one on Gizmo when we took him to Kayla and she put one on him when she moved from Texas to CO.
They really do have a nice effect on cats. Gizmo is usually a feisty cat, but he's really laid-back when he wears one of those collars.
Hugs,
Marla

Mica
11-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Sounds like a flea allergy, had a couple of cats loose fur because of it too. If you don't have the money to go the vet now try getting a flea collar and see if getting rid of fleas helps.

Saysusie
11-12-2011, 04:30 PM
We travel quite a lot and there is no one around to care for our cats when we are away. So, we too have a four week feeder, a 3 gallon water feeder as well as a water fountain for the cats. They still share a litter box, but it is a large box with a dome and a self cleaner. Our cats, however, are quite accustomed to us not being around, so they do not have major problems.
However, Alexis, the female, has a habit of crying when she hears us. When we let them back into the house, she will come up to us, sniff for a while, and then she actually turns her back on us. :-) It is hilarious to see her do this as if she is punishing us for being away. As soon as I pick her up and give her her kiss, she then just melts in my arms (lol). Our male cat (Pharaoh) could care less if we are home or not. He has his realm and is quite satisfied to stay there and never commune with us at all :-)
At any rate, I guess it does depend upon what your pets are accustomed to and how they handle changes. I hope that the extra attention gives your baby what she needs. Good Luck :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

debbie-b
11-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a flea allergy, had a couple of cats loose fur because of it too. If you don't have the money to go the vet now try getting a flea collar and see if getting rid of fleas helps.

Thank you Mica,

We have checked, there are no fleas on board.

Debbie

debbie-b
11-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Debbie,
That could very well be the answer. Some cats really don't react well to a change in their routine. We've trained ours to the big feeder long ago, and they do quite well by themselves if we are gone no longer than two or three nights. However, Dax will show his displeasure by shredding the toilet paper in both bathrooms. I have to make sure to remove the TP from the holders before we leave, then he does fine. Weird cat!
Here's a suggestion: PetSmart and Petco sell something called the Calming Collar. It smells wonderful and it has a very relaxing effect on animals. We put them on our boys when we moved and kept them on for a while in the new place. We also put one on Gizmo when we took him to Kayla and she put one on him when she moved from Texas to CO.
They really do have a nice effect on cats. Gizmo is usually a feisty cat, but he's really laid-back when he wears one of those collars.
Hugs,
Marla

Hi Marla,

Thank you for the tip. I will try that for sure.

Debbie

debbie-b
11-12-2011, 08:21 PM
We travel quite a lot and there is no one around to care for our cats when we are away. So, we too have a four week feeder, a 3 gallon water feeder as well as a water fountain for the cats. They still share a litter box, but it is a large box with a dome and a self cleaner. Our cats, however, are quite accustomed to us not being around, so they do not have major problems.
However, Alexis, the female, has a habit of crying when she hears us. When we let them back into the house, she will come up to us, sniff for a while, and then she actually turns her back on us. :-) It is hilarious to see her do this as if she is punishing us for being away. As soon as I pick her up and give her her kiss, she then just melts in my arms (lol). Our male cat (Pharaoh) could care less if we are home or not. He has his realm and is quite satisfied to stay there and never commune with us at all :-)
At any rate, I guess it does depend upon what your pets are accustomed to and how they handle changes. I hope that the extra attention gives your baby what she needs. Good Luck :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Hi Saysusie,

My big cat, Simon, he is lazy and sleeps alot, never gets into trouble. He only likes me and my husband, but stay's away from other people, but came out to greet my co-worker, because she is a animal lover and he felt that.
The little one, Lexie, she is never shy, she also came out to greet her, but when we came home, it took her a while to come out of her closet. The same as with yours, she was punishing us.
I am going to get the coller Marla suggested and go from there.
The weird thing is, she only sheds the top coat, she is not bald, she still has the under coat.

Debbie

Saysusie
11-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Our pet name for our female cat, Alexis, is also Lexie! What breed is your lexie?
Our lexie also sheds her top coat. I find clumps of hair everywhere and,because she is constantly licking it, she spits up enormous hair balls.
I give her actual baths once per month..yes, in a tub of warm water with pet shampoo. I use a very soft brush and grooming gloves and try to get as much hair as I can off of her. She hated it when she was a baby, but she is 12yrs old now and she actually enjoys these baths because I am rubbing her softly in the warm water, then she gets to cuddle up in a nice warm towel as I dry her off and brush her fur. Then, she gets to fall asleep on my lap when it is all over :-) Anyway, it is in this way that I stop her from licking her fur so much and I keep the amount of hair loss down.
I do the same for Pharaoh, but as soon as he is dry, he scampers off to one of his hiding places and we may not see him again for an entire day :-(
I do hope that your lexie becomes calmer and that she is able to get back to her old self very soon.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

christinaja
11-15-2011, 02:23 PM
It sounds a bit like a food allergy to me, since there are no fleas involved. But, like Mr. Google said, kitties can overgroom when they are anxious! We brought home a foster kitty a few months ago whose back legs were almost completely bald. He didn't come from a good situation. The fur is finally starting to grow back, so I think that is what his issue was.

Our kitties don't like it when we go out of town either, and act pretty standoffish when we get home! And they notice if it is just me that is gone. When I get home, they'll love all over my husband, but glare at me. It's crazy. It's like they are attempting to "punish" me and also show me what I'm missing!

jmail
11-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Did you guys know that all cats have autism? Watch your cat sometime. We got a book "All Cats Have Autism" for our boy who has aspergers, and he observed our cat for several days, and then comes up to me and goes "Dad, Kit Kat has autism worse than me, doesn't she" matter-of-factly... Every time I turn on the nebulizer for my breathing treatments, there comes the cat. Not to stare at me, but to stare at the machine that makes that noise... and like christinaja mentions, don't go away for a few days, or the cat *ignores* you when you come back, at least, until she gets hungry again, or wants outside... lol

christinaja
11-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Did you guys know that all cats have autism? Watch your cat sometime. We got a book "All Cats Have Autism" for our boy who has aspergers, and he observed our cat for several days, and then comes up to me and goes "Dad, Kit Kat has autism worse than me, doesn't she" matter-of-factly... Every time I turn on the nebulizer for my breathing treatments, there comes the cat. Not to stare at me, but to stare at the machine that makes that noise... and like christinaja mentions, don't go away for a few days, or the cat *ignores* you when you come back, at least, until she gets hungry again, or wants outside... lol

Well, that explains why my daughter seems to understand the cats better than me! I have one cat that comes running if she hears the toilet flush or water being turned on anywhere in the house. She is completely fascinated with water, and will drop toys into it, dip paws in it, you name it. But if it's bath time, forget it. Submersion is not something she's comfortable with. Must be a sensory thing.

Goonie
11-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi Debbie~I am a vet tech, love cats and live with 4 of them. I have not seen what your cat looks like but your cat might be pulling it's own fur out. We see it all the time in the vet clinic and I also have a nervous cat that does it. They can do it for various reasons like stress, anxiety or it can be habit forming or a way of self soothing. The common areas that cats pull out their are along their sides, on the back, or in the abdomen/groin area. There really isn't any reason to be concerned unless your kitty is creating sores because of it. You can put animals on anti-anxiety meds for it but if she is not doing any harm, then I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck!

debbie-b
11-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Hi Debbie~I am a vet tech, love cats and live with 4 of them. I have not seen what your cat looks like but your cat might be pulling it's own fur out. We see it all the time in the vet clinic and I also have a nervous cat that does it. They can do it for various reasons like stress, anxiety or it can be habit forming or a way of self soothing. The common areas that cats pull out their are along their sides, on the back, or in the abdomen/groin area. There really isn't any reason to be concerned unless your kitty is creating sores because of it. You can put animals on anti-anxiety meds for it but if she is not doing any harm, then I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck!

Thank you,
That is what I am thinking too. As you said, she does it on her sides and on her back, the one on her back is a thin stripe. I am going to try out Marlas idea, with the calming collar.
She is eating well and playing as usual, so I am not to worried.

Debbie

bunny28
11-17-2011, 06:00 AM
I was going to say that my short haired cat pulls out her own hair due to anxiety. She was worse when we had two cats then got better for a while and now has a patch on her tummy again. She is otherwise a very happy, friendly cat and has done this for years, so we don't really worry about it.

Take care and best wishes.

debbie-b
11-17-2011, 06:05 AM
I was going to say that my short haired cat pulls out her own hair due to anxiety. She was worse when we had two cats then got better for a while and now has a patch on her tummy again. She is otherwise a very happy, friendly cat and has done this for years, so we don't really worry about it.

Take care and best wishes.

Thank you as well,
Like I said she has never done this before, we have had her for almost four years. She started after we came back from our one week trip. It is very odd.

Debbie

magistramarla
11-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Hi Debbie,
How is your baby doing? If it was anxiety, hopefully she's calmed down and feeling better by now.
We have been amused watching my service dog settle in with the cats. My cat Casper is a real lover, and he is friends with Conner. The two of them will even lick and groom each other. Jeff's cat Dax is another story. He is "top cat" around here and he wants to make sure that the dog understands that, so he bullies Conner.
I can't make a trip to the restroom without all three of them. Casper knows that he's got me trapped, so he jumps onto the sink next to me to demand love. Conner follows me in and plunks down at my feet. Dax will sit just inside the door and dares the dog to try to go out without getting scratched. Conner is so afraid of him, I have to go around him and go through the door first to shoo the cat away. It is funny watching that small cat totally bully such a huge dog!
They are our babies, and they are a constant source of amusement!
Hugs,
Marla

Nonna
11-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Just thought I'd add my funny cat story here.
As you all know I live with my daughter and her family. So my cat isn't alone when I make my trips down to Mother & Daddy. But what she does do - is yell at me when I come home. Because she has breathing problems her meow is off key and very irrating. So think of 15-20 minutes of this meow meow meow. She is punishing me for going, but then she comes and cuddles and gives me lovin'.

I've always thought they were human like. But this really makes you wonder. Smokey responded to my word this afternoon, not my motions. It was like she actually understood the words.
Go Figure

debbie-b
11-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Thank you guys,

She has not lost any more hair, from what I can tell.
Right now she is under the blanket, I have wrapped around me, sitting here at the computer. She always has to be close to us.
Marla, my older big cat, goes to the bathroom with me and jumps on my lap, while I am using the john. That is his one on one time with me.

Debbie