PDA

View Full Version : Core Body Temp.

n.mac
11-07-2011, 04:32 PM
On fri evening I felt like I was coming down with the flu. Felt like I was running a fever and had the chills,my wife came home from work(she is a RN) and felt my head and at my insistance took my temp-98.3.
I slept ok and took it easy on sat-nothing strenuous but did some walking in the forest preserve,still feeling like I had the flu.
On sat evening I had another round of the chills-again felt like I was running a high fever-but again was neither hot to the touch nor showing elev temp on 2 separate thermometors.

Went to bed at 11:00 and woke myself at 1:30 shaking uncontrolably,not merely the chills but violently shaking and trembling to the point of extreme joint pain which I still feel. This continued for another 20 minutes all the while I was hyperventilating and my heart was racing.

I went to the ER at which time they took my temp-98.1 They also did eck,took lots of blood,urine chest x-rays-all clear except for a modestly raised white blood count (i did have elevated bp and heart rate)

It was at this point I learned what core body temp is and how they take it (in the bum like a baby) mine was 102.8
They started me on IVs both fluids and antibiotics.
After 8 hrs I was allowed to go home(my choice the dr recomended I stay)
I am being treated for an unknown infection-they did do blood cultures which take several days for results.

This past summer has been pretty good for me.For the most part I felt good, a little achey,mild fever but as long as I stayed covered and out of the sun I had no complaints.In the spring at a routine check-up w/ruhemy I was told my blood work showed I was sicker than I was relaying to him. He started me on mtx increased it after a few weeks and after 4 months came to the conclusion it was not working for me. A few weeks ago he put me on Imuron instead of mtx due to increased ds dna and elevated sed rate.

I have alot of unknowns-what I do know is my eyes are ok and liver and kidney functions are good.

Has anyone had any experience like temp taken by mouth and ear are normal but a highly elevated body core temp?
(one doc came to visit because he had read about but never seen this first hand)

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated-it seems like no one knows a lupie like another lupie.

Niall

bunny28
11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Niall - Very interesting. I have felt just as you described and had normal temp orally, axillary (under arm) and in ear. I haven't had the extra step of core temp though so I can't concur. I will say that I recently came to the conclusion that I think I have a lower than average body temp normally and often feel feverish at 98 or 99 degrees. I posted on here about it and many others concur. I now wonder if it had something to do with the difference between temp and core temp as it did with you.

I will be watching for other replies.
Feel better.

Lightworker
11-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes, I have had instances when I felt chills and feverish and my temp has always been below normal, in the 96-97 range. I did not know about the core temp. Good information to know. Thank you Niall, take care and I hope you feel much better very soon.

n.mac
11-07-2011, 08:06 PM
my normal temp has always been slightly high 98.9-99.9,so i never worried unless it was elevated above that.
however the last couple of visits to the dr its been 97.1,which to me seemed odd-but didn't seem unusual to the dr.

Nonna
11-08-2011, 03:39 AM
I experience this a lot and when I take my oral temp it is always 96-97. My rheumy has been fighting a very high sed rate. She is amazed that it doesn't come done with the meds. I've learned to tolerate the pain. It is really good to know about core temp.

Thanks

Gizmo
11-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Very interesting information, thank you for sharing that. I, also, have times when I feel like I have a fever, but my oral temp is normal. Ear thermometers tend to read higher than oral for me. Not sure I'm ready for a rectal thermometer, though :embarrassed:

Tonyarenee
11-08-2011, 07:57 AM
I just had these same issues...I even went and got a new thermometor! I was at work felt as if I were coming down with something and had a fever, I took my temp every 30 minutes or so...it was going up and down like a yoyo went as low as 94.6 to 97.4 just back and forth all day! I went to my dr that afternoon and kept me there for 2 hours checking my temp....the whole office thought it was very weird! Then she decided to check from behind....it was 101.6 and by mouth showed 96.6...She too was out of words for the reason the difference in temp! I had not ate,drink nor smoked anything!
She said something about sistimic and drew plenty of blood and gave shots in my hip along with a scrip....the blood work only showed my amylase being low it was 18 should be 31 or higher! So its still unkown to what was going on! My Dr is baffeled by it!

n.mac
11-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Very interesting information, thank you for sharing that. I, also, have times when I feel like I have a fever, but my oral temp is normal. Ear thermometers tend to read higher than oral for me. Not sure I'm ready for a rectal thermometer, though :embarrassed:
Nor was I but they had me in bed hooked up to all sorts of wires etc. And my wife gave me that 'your not going to embaress me look" so i knew better than to resist.