PDA

View Full Version : Saysusie Still On Vacation!

Saysusie
10-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Hello Family :-)
I posted this under "Happy birthday Saysusie", but I am also posting it here so that everyone could get an update on my trip. As some of you know, my hubby took me on a cruise for my birthday and we left on the 20th of October, so I was unable to respond to your birthday posts until now. We will return on 11/5, but today, I finally got into the Internet Cafe on the ship and was able to come here to check on you ..my family.
The trip has been quite eventful so far, due to the hurricane! We made it safely to Cozumel & Ocho Rios, but then we had to be re-routed from Belize to the Grand Cayman's and then from the Grand Cayman's to Grand Turk! This is such a beautiful island with crystal clear, warm water. We are going to be here for six hours and then head back to Miami. This will give us two full days at sea and I will, once again, be unable to get online.
I do miss you all, but I am soooooooo loving this vacation. As most of you know, I am a vocalist and my genre is primarily Smooth Jazz. This cruise is a jazz cruise and the artists who perform every night have been awesome (George Duke, Nick Corleon, Patti Austin, Norman Brown, Chante Moore, Eric Benet, George Hammond, and more..). So, being a jazz artist myself, this has been like a slice of heaven every night :-). I got to jam with one of the bands during the midnight jam session...what a thrill that was for me!
Well, I hope that you are all doing OK..I will check in on the 5th (or before if I can get on the internet).

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tgal
10-30-2011, 12:02 PM
No one deserves it more!!! My cruise was the best vacation ever! The only time I came back rested. Enjoy yourself and remember that we love you!

kim,l
10-30-2011, 06:19 PM
glad you are having vacation hope you have wonderful time hugs

magistramarla
10-30-2011, 08:41 PM
SaySusie,
I'm glad that you are having such a wonderful vacation. Your sweet hubby made sure that this birthday is one to remember.
Stay well, and enjoy!
Hugs,
Marla

Hunniebun
10-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Wow that sounds fantastic, what a nice gift and I hope you have a GREAT time! :cute:

Nonna
10-30-2011, 11:12 PM
WOW!!! Susie I am so jealeous. I love jazz and it sounds like you've discovered the best thing in the world. A seventh heaven for sure. You are so lucky to have gotten the chance to jam. My singing has been limited to the church choir but I always wanted to sing like you. Have fun! Enjoy it.

steve.b
10-31-2011, 05:35 AM
i can almost feel the excitement in your words.

i am very happy for you. just remember if you need a personal porter .......

Saysusie
11-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Well, we are finally home. After arriving back in Miami, hubby decided to stay on there and extend our vacation for another 3 days. Again..beautiful weather, a beautiful city (great food and dancing!). I think that these past 15 days have been the best days in my life! I was so thrilled and so relaxed that it did not bother me that our plane had a flat tire and we had to sit on the tarmac for 3 hours, had to race like horses to make our connecting flight and then it had engine trouble, which meant sitting on the tarmac for another 3 1/2 hours (lol). I DID NOT care...I watched the video that we had taken on the cruise, I listened to the CDs we had purchased from the artists who performed, I went through the pictures we had taken (organizing them),and I practiced my "scatting" techniques that I learned at one of the workshops on the cruise. I also, eventually, fell fast asleep :-).
Right now, I am a very happy camper! I am very tired and will take 2-3 days of rest to ensure that I do not have a flare up (as I was not 100% when we left for this vacation). But, emotionally...I am ecstatic!
Thank you all for you responses..I am glad to be back, I missed you all!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

steve.b
11-09-2011, 04:48 AM
welcome home mum.

glad you had fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n.mac
11-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Sorry-must ask-"scatting tecniques"?

Saysusie
11-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Scatting (to scat) is a technique used by jazz singers wherein we substitute nonsense syllables for the words of the song and we try to sound like a musical instrument. Ella Fitzgerald was a master at scatting. For instance, in the bridge part of a song, instead of singing lyrics, I might sing something like:
"Sha doo n dee wow; doo be doo doo be de oh; twee dop n do we, doo be dop n doo wee; scubee doop, scubee do".....And so forth.
If I want to sound like a piano, I use a lot of scat sounds that start with "T".. like "ta doot n tee tow, twa dee dle, twa do" If I want to sound like a trumpet, I use a scat sounds that start with "W".. like "wah, wah, weeeeeoh" If I want to sound like a bass, I use a lot of "B" sounds.
It is actually not easy to come up with scat sounds that sound like an instrument, flow with the song, and harmonizes with the melody. It takes a lot of practice to scat in order to make it melodic and enjoyable :-) I am still working on my techniques (lol)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie