PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone and breastfeeding?

Leksie
10-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Has anyone taken prednisone while breastfeeding? Was baby okay?

magistramarla
10-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Leksie,
Please call your local La Leche League. They will have a professional liaison (usually a nurse or a lactation consultant who has also breastfed) who can give you the right information. Breastfeeding for as much of the first year as you can is very very important. Too often, docs will dismiss that and try to steer you to formula. The LLL leader will steer you in the right direction.
I once had a doc who told me to not breastfeed while on antibiotics. I nodded, took the prescription and went home to call the LLL liaison. She reassured me that it was no problem to to take the med and continue to nurse. I got over my infection and my baby never missed a feeding! (My kids never knew what a bottle was)
Hugs,
Marla

bunny28
10-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Leksie;

I don't know anything abotu breast feeding and prednisone as I was diagnosed after my little on was already on a bottle. I hope that you get all the help and support you need, as I truly think support is the most important part of learning to BF. That being said; I just wanted to tell you though that if BF doesn't work out for you, it is okay. My little one was formula fed and is not a bright and articulte 3 year old. I, myself was also FF and I think I am an intelligent, articulte girl with what I would have called until last year good health. A happy and healthy mommy leads to a happy and healthy baby...what exactly that looks like is different for each and every one of us.

Leksie
11-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks Marla, the lactation consultant at the hospital said it would be okay but from what I have read online baby does receive small amounts of prednisone in breastmilk so I was just looking for any personal experiences to find out if the baby would behave differently. bunny28: I know my mother keeps reminding me that I was formula feed... I am just stuck on breastfeeding for at least a year because I think it did wonders for the health of my older child. I have already been giving her formula however as a supplement and when I was on antibiotics.

magistramarla
11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Leksie,
Good for you - you're on the right track. Is there a LLL group in your area? You should take your little doll and go to a meeting. Who knows? You just might meet another Lupie Mom there! In any case, you could find some good support and info there.
From the old LLL Leader -
Hugs,
Marla

Leksie
11-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Great minds think alike! I just found a LLL group and attended my first meeting yesterday with my baby. What a wealth of information, even found out I was positioning her incorrectly and now feeding is easier. No other Lupie's yet buth there were not to many people there, fingers crossed.

Thanks again,
Natasha

magistramarla
11-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Leksie,
Good for you! LLL is much like this group - a supportive and experienced group of people who probably have more accumulated knowledge than the docs or other professionals.
Try to go to at least four meetings in a row, so that you get all of the agendas that are covered. (I'll take that back - you don't really need the one on preparing for the baby and birth, but you will still find it fun to help out those who are about to go through it).
The meeting about nutrition and weaning is great, too. I use my LLL cookbooks to this day - some of my family's favorite recipes came from those. Thanks to LLL, I was into the whole, natural foods thing long before it became the craze that it is today.
Good luck to you and your little sweetie.
LLLove,
Marla