PDA

View Full Version : Getting sick with an AI disease

howsabout
10-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Hi there all!

Another question, I have so many. Anyhoo, here I go..

The last time I got "sick" which was a herpes infection instead of just going away it lasted for weeks and I got a total of four infections in a row. I ended up scarred. If I had not gotten the anti viral meds I'm sure it would still be going. Never seen anything like it in my life.

But I have never been sick with an internal type of thing like a cold virus or the flu. Unfortunately I feel myself coming down with the same thing as my children have and I'm worried. I read somewhere that people with Lupus or any other systemic AI disease can go from 0-100 in a matter of days and end up in the hospital. Is this always true? If so, what am I looking for? What should I do? Thanks!

sharpiessave
10-28-2011, 03:12 PM
I was just talking to somebody about this type of thing. I was wondering if my meds, namely plaquenil and prednisone, were the reason it seems to take forever for scrapes and cuts to heal.

I'm so glad you asked this question. I currently have the flu, and it's taking forever to pass. It's been my experience that I catch any sickness I'm exposed to, and it stays with me for longer than non-AI people. I think that means the plaquenil is doing it's job, and slowing down my immune system. I'm definitely ok with that, because I'd much rather have the flu for a few extra days than try to deal with The Mess without plaquenil.

Sharpie

Nonna
10-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Things last longer for me also and are harder to kick. I'm also glad you brought this up. This is the reason why we need to take our meds and take good care of ourselves.

Hugs

steve.b
10-28-2011, 08:12 PM
i hope i can explain this properly.

our immune system is in overdrive attacking our body.
so to stop it we take medications that suppress our immune system.
this suppressed immune system is now suseptable to any infection or bug going around.

this suppressed immune system also cannot fight off the infection properly.
it is wise to take proper care of ourselves, and boost our body with vitamins as required.

i personally do not support wasting money on needless vitamins.
but i do take minerals and vitamins that my body needs.

if a cold is in the family ...... i take action to reduce my possabilities of catching it.
when no cold is in the family ...... i save my money for when i need it.

magistramarla
10-29-2011, 08:38 PM
My over-active immune system works so well that I never seem to get sick. I was a teacher - kids would come up to my desk, sneeze on me, and then ask to go to the nurse. Even with that, I never got sick. I'm still the same way - I hang out with young Moms who complain about their sick kids, but I never get even so much as the sniffles.
Hugs,
Marla

tgal
10-30-2011, 09:45 AM
I am going to agree with Steve and Marla. Before meds I NEVER got sick (well, normal sick). The only time I would get sick is when my body began to attack something (ie my gallbladder, my lungs) but usually even problems from those came/come from lack of blood flow on me (due to inflammation). I do have to be more careful now about getting "bugs" (colds, flu, virus) because of my steroids and MTX. They lower my immune system so it allows me to catch those things easier. Honestly mine is still very strong so I still don't get normal stuff but, if you do catch something, it can get you very sick very fast. Honestly it just depends on the person.

Always be careful though and, if you are taking drugs to suppress your immune system then don't let any little thing go because it can become big fast

howsabout
10-30-2011, 09:56 AM
same here, even with the outbreaks. At the same time I started losing my hair, the regular bugs that went around the house (and the recurrent outbreaks I had every month for 10 years) just stopped. I NEVER got sick anymore. I thought it was ultra mega mom superpowers at work. I was still a little tired and had the nagging malaise but I never caught a stomach bug, the flu, or any of those things my kids and husband would catch. I'd even accidentally drink after a sick one and nothing.
Honestly I thought I was getting sick when I posted this because I do have a bit of a cough, just tickle throat but I still haven't gotten anything. I think the last time I had such a hard time getting over an infection was when I had just come off prednisone. I am on MTX right now. I think I have found some kind of dead on happy medium with medication because I feel really good, no joint problems or exhaustion and I'm still not catching house wide bugs. I also take a few vitamins and minerals though. I dunno! But I'm not complaining. Jinxing myself maybe but definitely enjoying the ride.