PDA

View Full Version : daughter of a hoarder saga

ruziska
10-25-2011, 06:56 PM
The clearing of mom's house continues. My heart goes out to all families of hoarders; it is really a very difficult lifestyle to deal with.

Yesterday daughter and I started on mom's master bedroom and today we finished that along with the master bathroom and walk in closet. 12 hours of hard work later. 5 huge bags of thrift shop donations from the bathroom alone plus 2 bags of garbage. Just from the master bathroom! I've never seen so many sheets in one place in my life! Walmart has fewer linens in stock. And then there's the clothes. The woman used to give me a hard time telling me I had too many clothes but she had a walk in closet and a linen closet full of clothes yet she wore the same few outfits week after week. She also had several pairs of good shoes yet she always wore the rattiest excuses for footwear. I've not opened her coat closet yet. That, I'm sure, although quite small, will be an adventure on its own and I'll bet a couple of bags worth of donations and garbage. It is all so physically and emotionally exhausting. Tomorrow I have a few errands to run so I'll stop by the house and load up as much thrift shop bags as I can get in my car and then I'm taking the rest of the day to myself. To add insult to injury yesterday, I slammed my knee into the door frame as I was running across the room (let's just say lunch didn't agree with me and leave it at that, otherwise I would have NOT been running). I saw stars in the afternoon. So now I've got a bum knee to add to the fun.

Cannot wait for this to all be behind me.

magistramarla
10-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Rita,
Aww, I've been there and I feel for you. Eventually, it will be finished and you can breathe a sigh of relief. I know it made me feel a lot freer when it was done.
This is why I LOVE the military life style. Moving to a different assignment every few years forces you to clean out things and become more organized.
Hugs,
Marla