PDA

View Full Version : Medication for Raynaud's ???

running girl
10-21-2011, 06:58 PM
My Raynaud's just started last winter. It was shocking when it first started, but it wasn't too bad. When I met my rheumy in May she offered me medication to control it, but with the change in weather I refused.

It's October now and the weather is getting bad. My Raynaud's is nuts. The slightest cool breeze or if I hold something too long. Tonight in the grocery store I picked up a bucket of ice-cream and my fingers were white for 10 minutes.

So now I'm wondering about this medication. What would it be? is anyone taking meds for Raynaud's? I'm currently only on Plaquenil.

Please tell me about your experience.

Brenda

ritzbit
10-21-2011, 07:43 PM
First med I was put on was Norvasc for my Raynauds. I get ulcers on my fingers from mine now though, so I'd probably have lost a finger by now if I wasn't taking meds. Last year we added a nitroglycerin patch that I wear for 12 hours. They really help me out with the issue of ulcers, but they still turn purple. Its sad but I've become immune to it and people like freak out with "oh my gosh are you ok your hands are purple" and I just respond "oh ya that happens sometimes lol". When you deal with cold stuff like that wear gloves, and now that its getting cold always dress in warm layers, and wear a hat. You lose a lot of body heat through your head. Raynauds has at times been a bigger problem than my lupus, so I understand your frustration with it.

running girl
10-22-2011, 01:38 AM
Thanks Ritz,

I've concentrated all of my reading to Lupus because I thought Raynaud's was only a minor nuisance but I have more work to do. Ulcers - YIKEs! that sounds horrible.

I'll have to be creative with my clothing. I have a nasty skin problem (chronic uticaria?) which is aggravated by heat.

Ritz - did you find it got worse over time, or has it always been bad like this for you?

ritzbit
10-22-2011, 08:50 AM
It started out really mild for me. It started when I was 13 or 14 and my doc just told me to wear gloves and warm socks and stuff (before I knew about lupus) and it never really seemed to help. It started in my toes. I live in our basement so I was always so cold down there and I would come upstairs and start jumping around because I couldnt feel my feet and eventually they weren't just white they started turning purple and my mom freaked out about it. Then it started creeping into my fingers. I'd be walking around the neighborhood with my friends and ask do my pinkys look white to you or is it just me because I didnt want it to start happening in my hands to. Well eventually they just stopped that white phase and would just go straight to purple and at the beginning that was really painful for me. I started getting little "holes" on my finger tips and went back to my doc who told me to see a rheum at childrens. At my first appointment she told me to start taking to Norvasc and then a month or so later she had me come back in and told me she thought I had lupus. Soooo anyway. That was a really long answer to a simple question...lol Yes mine got worse.

running girl
10-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Wow Ritz, you've really been through a lot with this. Thanks so much for your help!

ritzbit
10-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Until this spring most of the problems I had aside from some joint pain and sleeping problems were all Raynauds related. Glad I could help =)

lupyme
11-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Mine isn't bad. I take gabapentin.