PDA

View Full Version : Literally Kicked out of Bed!

magistramarla
10-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Yesterday, Jeff came home from school and was extremely cranky. He was tired, red-eyed and mad that he had accomplished nothing on his paper all day.
He had not slept well at all the night before because I was thrashing around in the bed so much. I guess that those two weeks with me being gone made him realize how much better he felt when he was able to sleep better.
He grabbed some dinner and hurried back to school to get some work done. He didn't come home 'til 10:30. I decided to sleep in the spare room. I was literally in the dog house - sleeping with Conner for the night! Actually, I slept very well on the wonderful mattress on that daybed. I was very glad to not be sweating on that awful tempurpedic pad that Jeff has on our mattress for his back.
I think that we are going to need to face the music and get a new bed. I think that we need to get a bigger one, too. We've had nothing but a full-size bed since we were married 35 years ago. We need at least a queen-sized one now that I'm so restless at night.
This evening, Jeff ate dinner and went back to the school to work again - the paper is due tomorrow. Hopefully we'll be able to do some shopping this weekend so that we won't continue to sleep in separate rooms - it's no fun!!!
Hugs and yawns,
Marla

sharpiessave
10-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Marla, when I read your headline I had visions of big ole Conner rolling you out of your bed. : ) I'm sorry it didn't turn out to be that!

I've never been able to understand how people sleep, I mean, actually sleep, with someone else in bed with them. I'm a bouncer. I mean, I stick my feet off the end of the bed and kind of bounce myself to sleep. Thank goodness I'm not looking for a relationship: it would absolutely NEVER work!

Anyway, the reason I wanted to respond was to tell you about a bed my parents had. They slept miserably for years before finding it. It was technically a king-sized bed, but the mattresses were two twins; one super firm, and one soft and fluffy. That way they each got a perfect side. So he could have his sweaty tempurpedic and you could have your wonderfulness all at once.

I hope you find exactly what you need, and can get back to your routine.

Sharpie

BonusMom
10-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Superman and I both have RLS. Treated, it's no problem. Well, add in the Caped Crusader's CPAP (or should I say his disdain for it?) and we've got a problem. He tosses and turns and keeps me awake all darn night. And, he's oblivious. So, I grab my pillow and favorite blankie and head to the couch.

Superman has a boo-boo lip in the morning when he realizes that I've moved to the couch, but a girl needs her beauty rest, especially one who already has a sleep disorder and works full time!

And, full size bed Marla? Maybe great for snuggles, but Superman at 6' 6.5" and me at nearly 5' 10", it would be a comedy shop of epic proportions (and a totally sleepless night) if we were in a full! Definitely time to upgrade!

steve.b
10-20-2011, 12:42 AM
i know a few people who have sharpies idea.
the bed size for the mattress is known as a "king single"
together they make a king size bed.

my wife and i recently upgraded to a king bed.
i toss and turn, she sleeps on the one spot.

no more small beds for us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

magistramarla
10-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Yes, I remember seeing those "king singles" years ago. I wonder if they still make them that way?
Has anyone had any experience with the Sleep Number bed? That seems to be the most recent answer to our problem, but I'm wondering whether they live up to the hype?

We really need to go bed shopping, but there is a chance that Jeff could be presenting a paper in Tokyo soon, and I would like to have the money to go with him. I loved visiting Japan before, and I would love to go back.

Decisions, decisions!
Hugs,
Marla

prothumos
10-21-2011, 07:06 AM
Hey Marla,

We recently got a Sleep Number bed (after laughing at Lindsey Wagner and her "number" for all these years) and it's been great. Lloyd, my hubbie, has back problems and wanted something firm; I on the other hand want super-soft-curl-up-in-it. The Sleep Number gives us the best of both worlds. (Oh my gosh, I sound like a commercial, lol...sorry!) We have the king but they do have a king that's split also.

Have a great day!
Robin

kim,l
10-21-2011, 05:58 PM
hey marla my husband cured our space problem in bed because we both toss and turn from pain he went and bought some timber and he built us a new bed and made it higher so we could just get out of bed without having to pull ourselves up my 16 year old daughter helped she got credits in her schoolwork for woodwork so we all benifitted maybe you will have to get a bed specially made for you hugs take care

steve.b
10-21-2011, 07:31 PM
we bought our bed from melbourne, direct from the manufacturer.
they can custom make almost anything.
if you want details pm me.

magistramarla
10-21-2011, 10:01 PM
LOL - My hubby is cheap. We'll never get a custom made bed. I just have to talk him into buying a bigger one!
We bought our bedroom suite for $100 from a widow 34 years ago. It was made in the 1940s. We've changed the mattress a couple of times in all of those years.
It's about time that we do some replacing - we just have to arrange the money for it.
Hugs,
Marla

magistramarla
10-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Well, we did it! We bought a new Queen sized mattress and foundation today.
I did a lot of checking on the internet and found the best deal at good old Sears. They have an 18 month/no interest deal going on too, so it was too good to pass up.
We checked the name of the mattress that we have on the daybed (inherited from his Mom). I've had a couple of heavenly nights of sleep on it. We found the closest match to it that we could find at Sears and ordered it. It's a Sealy Posturpedic - nothing fancy, but comfortable for both of us.
Now I can't wait for it to arrive on Nov. 1.
LOL - it looks like we'll still be using the art-deco 1940's headboard! Oh well, it's kind of cool.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
10-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Good purchase, M! I have the same mattress set in my daughter's room and I sleep better on it than my and Superman's newer bed. Why you ask? Because it's not a pillow top! You can't flip a pillow top mattress, therefore, they dont last as long. Ours has divetts and it's only eight years old. I will never buy another pillow top mattress set.

magistramarla
10-22-2011, 09:26 PM
BonusMom,
We compared ours with a pillow top, but I didn't like it. I couldn't turn over very easily with my painful hips and legs on the pillow top. That is exactly why I have so many problems with that fraking tempurpedic pad - I have to sit up to turn over, and that disturbs Jeff. We went for the plain and simple normal top mattress.
Hugs,
Marla