PDA

View Full Version : Cellcept, Plaquenil and Prednisolone?

Derek
10-19-2011, 03:20 AM
My step daughter is taking these 3 medications, plus cordisol cream for her skin. She is so ill sometimes that I wonder if the medications are right for her? I have learnt a lot from this site already by reading everyones posts. So prednisolone protects the heart, is that true? Can anyone tell me what Cellcept and Plaquenil do? I am all very new to this and only beginning to understand the depth and seriousness of living with Lupus.

ritzbit
10-19-2011, 04:38 AM
Plaquenil is like the first drug everyone goes on once they get their diagnosis. It typically takes a few months for it to fully get into the system and work. Prenisone and cellcept both help lower the immune system, by doing this our immune systems can't attack us. The original use of plaquenil was an anti-malaria drug and cellcept is usually used for people who have had a transplant to prevent rejection. These are all very common medicines to treat lupus, Im on all of them myself among a few others.

Derek
10-20-2011, 05:18 AM
Wow ritzbitz,
Thanks for that info. How long have you had lupus for? You sound like you have had a real battle.

rob
10-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Hello Derek,

I can't really add much to what Ritz said, she knows her stuff.

I have been taking Plaquenil for the better part of 8 years now, and it helps keep Lupus disease activity under control. It is generally well tolerated by most people, and can be, as in my case, quite effective.

On a slightly different subject, the fact that you are asking questions and doing research in support of your step daughter, is really a great thing. One very, very important thing to people with Lupus, is to have a family member and/or friend who can help us, and be supportive. Having someone we know and trust in our corner fighting with us does wonders for our morale, and for our hope of living a good life despite this disease. Hat's off to you sir!

Welcome to WHL,

Rob

ritzbit
10-20-2011, 09:32 AM
I was diagnosed about 3 years ago when I was your daughters age. I've made it my lifes goal to figure out as much as I can about lupus. I'm glad I could help out =)

papillon
10-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi Derek

Cellcept Can be rough on the stomach so check with your doc about the best ways to pair it with food. Plaqueneil can give you a headache at first but it's really bearable after a while. Prednisone is a beast. It's a steroid and at least for me made parts of me feel great and other parts miserable.
I agree with earlier comments that your investment in your step daughter is amazing.