PDA

View Full Version : Changing doctors because of insurance

mamagina
04-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Hope you don't mind but I just found this site and it looks like from what I've read so far that it is a good place to vent. No one else around me understands. I have Lupus and I am having to change my Rheumatologist because of new insurance. I am 42 and was diagnosed when I was 17. This is the second time I have had to go through this. I know you all probably understand, once you find a good doctor and have been with them for awhile, it is devistating to change. I have been going to the same one now for years and she knows me so well. I hate it. I have had some terrible experiences before when I was looking for a new one. You have to go over all your history and hope they don't look at you like your crazy. I have literally made myself sick over this. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this any easier?

Saysusie
04-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Hi Mamagina;
I've just recently changed doctors for the third time. My first doctor was the one who recognized my symptoms and diagnosed me. My second doctor was my rheumatologist for 8 years. BUT, during the last 3-4 years, he would not remember me when I showed up for my appointments, he would not remember the conversations we had and it was like starting all over with a new doctor each time that I saw him. However, when he did remember, he took good care of me, at least that's what I thought!
My current doctor is a female rheumatologist who always remembers my name, my face, my history. I have found her to be very concerned, very thorough and extremely receptive to my questions and concerns (I take a list of questions and concerns each time I see her and she addresses each item on my list). On my first visit with her, I took a print-out about Lupus, its symptoms, treatments etc. I also gave her a print out about fibromyalgia and its symptoms and treatments. She calls me back the same day that I call her, she runs tests even when she does not agree with my assessment (and, I am sometimes wrong and more often than not, we both agree that it was a good thing that she ran the test!)
I say all of this to say that, I thought I was being taken care of by the doctor that I had for eight years and I was terribly upset about having to leave him (also for insurance reasons). But, it turned out to be a very good thing as my current doctor is wonderful!
It might be helpful for you to learn about the rheumatologists in your provider list. Ask about their knowledge of lupus, its treatments and symptoms. On your first visit, be prepared to give them a list of your questions and concerns, your current medications and the symptoms that you suffer from (as well as any other conditions you may have, such as fibromyalgia, Raynaud's etc.) Do not be concerned as to weather or not you might offend him/her - you don't care about that! You care about having a doctor who knows your disease, takes you seriously and treats you correctly!! In other words, you educate your doctor about you! Don't leave it up to them!! Take control of you health care, educate yourself and your health care team and do not let them dismiss you, your symptoms, your fears or your concerns.
I wish you the best of luck
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

mamagina
04-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Thank you so much for the advice, you have really helped me. I will use your suggestions about taking all of my information. I looked on my provider list today and found a woman doctor close to my home that I am going to give a try. My two previous doctors have been women and I have had better luck with them. And your right, this may be a good thing. My current doctor is in downtown Atlanta, and I have to drive about 50 miles to see her. The new one is in the next town over and will be a lot closer. I'm so happy to have found this site. It is really a blessing.

Have a great day.
Regina

Saysusie
04-15-2006, 10:30 AM
We are so happy that you are here to share with us and to be a part of our community :lol:

I hope that your new doctor takes very good care of you! Best of Luck

Saysusie