PDA

View Full Version : Injectable medications, list yours please!

Hunniebun
10-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Hey guys, I am wondering if any or you, or how many of you, take injectable medications. I am seeing my new rheum for the second time on Nov 1st and I want to ask for SHOTS instead of PILLS. I am SICK and tired of taking so many pills, so I'd like to know what you guys take, and what is out there. I keep being told that certain things aren't available, which I think is BS when I do searches for them. Besides hating pills, I also have a very hard time swallowing them because I have acid reflux plus my throat is always sore and closed up, so its not just pills, its anything whole I can't make go down. Then there's what pills have done to my stomach, but let's not even get into that...I need something for pain mostly, joint, tissue and muscle pain. My rheum suspects I have Fibromyalgia plus an overlapping AI disorder, but she isn't sure if it's Lupus or Sjogrens or both or who knows. She is currently trying to rule out RA which I was first diagnosed with. I am having a bone scan on tuesday to help with figuring that out for sure.

So...Anybody take injectables, I know of Methotrexate, but what else is there for pain and swelling?

howsabout
10-14-2011, 03:44 PM
I give myself methotrexate injections. The only other injection available to me per my Rheumy is a mega dose of steroids to help with unbearable symptoms. I've tried more than once to go around that and ask for traditional pain meds but both GP and Rheum denied me with the same response "pain medications do not work on inflammatory pain"

I've heard some refer to something called Tramadol for pain. I have no idea what that is though.

ritzbit
10-14-2011, 04:40 PM
I've searched for such things also and came across a few and they are totally escaping me right now. Retuxan maybe? And I think Imuran is some kind of injection maybe. Sorry I wasn't much help!

sharpiessave
10-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Very interesting thread, Hunniebun; thanks for starting it. I too would love other options.

I've recently had uncontrollable back and joint pain. I even went to the ER to try to find relief one night. They gave me a whole lot of top shelf narcotics IV, but nothing kicked the pain. Two days later I got some sample Lidoderm patches from my magic Rheumy. I've been on Vicodin and Ultram (Tramadol) for over a year now, and I can honestly say the pills haven't worked half as well as the patches. I put them right where the pain is, and it makes a HUGE difference. I've heard from a lot of my nurse friends that these patches are hit and miss. Some people find great relief, and some people find none. But for me it's been a game changer. Thank goodness for samples, though, because the patches are about $7 a piece, and you wear them for 12 hours, then have to leave them off for the next 12.

Anyway, I'm going to the pain management doc in a week, so hopefully I'll get some other suggestions from him to share with you. Good luck with everything!

Sharpie

Hunniebun
10-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for your replies guys, every little bit of info helps.

Mica
11-01-2011, 08:37 AM
There really isn't much with inject-able meds out there for lupus, I know the feeling about the pills. 7 years and I find myself dreading the time I have to take my meds and almost gag at the thought. My mother has suggested hypnotherapy, you know where the doctor can make some relaxation tape to help you take the pills, I personally don't think I could afford that right now but if your desperate maybe you should look in to something like that to help for the rest of pills.

Hunniebun
11-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah I don't think I can afford it either. I choked as a kid so that hasn't helped me since and I also have acid reflux so my throat is always sore and somewhat closed up, so its not just all in my head. I have trouble swallowing liquids as well as chewed food, it doesn't matter what it is that's going down. Plus my gag reflex is so sensitive, I got that from my dad, he has a lot of trouble as well and he's 49.
I just saw my rheum the other day and she is back to believing like the other 2 rheums I've seen, that I have Lupus, but it is mild with an overlap of Fibromyalgia, so she says I don't need the heavy pills. She wants to put me back on Plaquenil but I've been on that one before and I can't handle its side affects AT ALL. She wants me to give it another try for just one month and if its the same as before, then we'll try something else.

Mica
11-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Oh goodness, im sorry I didn't mean to say it was in your head. I know I have the same problem, I guess what I what was trying to get out was those types of things help you relax and being relaxed would help swallowing the pills better. Not saying it fix it but figured it make it easier. I get the acid reflux too, but I take that nexium and has helped a lot. Sorry for the swallowing thing, I know the lupus is hard but to make it harder by making it difficult to swallow those meds is a toughy.
Hope things gets easy though!

Desleywr
11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I have had Tramadol given to me in a couple of instances:
In hospital and it was one Tramadol and two panadol the nurses told me they had found when the two were combined that they gave a better relief for pain

Severe pain before my hospital visit my Dr gave me Tramadol two each time and I found taking them at night very good but felt a bit groggy the next morning.

I did have a bit of a problem as my Neuro put me on Madapar (Dopermine) which has relieved the cramping mostly and some pain in my legs the next time I took one Tramadol at night for the pain I was off the planet for the next day I couldn't drive a car because of the combined reaction of the two drugs.

I reported this to my Dr and he told me to be careful of Tramadol as it is addictive and if on it regularly to come off it with Dr supervision.

I hope this info is of help.

I give myself methotrexate injections. The only other injection available to me per my Rheumy is a mega dose of steroids to help with unbearable symptoms. I've tried more than once to go around that and ask for traditional pain meds but both GP and Rheum denied me with the same response "pain medications do not work on inflammatory pain"

I've heard some refer to something called Tramadol for pain. I have no idea what that is though.