PDA

View Full Version : Carpal tunnel vs. arthritis?

Coloradan
10-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Hey everyone! I hope you are all having a good day! I was wondering if there is a good explanation somewhere of the difference between carpal tunnel and arthritis/joint swelling. I know the physical reasons, but how does it feel? My boss is having me type a TON of stuff today and my hands feel sooo weird. Stiff, like I would like to pull on my fingers to stretch them. My wrist doesn't really hurt when I am typing, but only when I put weight on it or lift stuff. Weird! My mom had carpal tunnel but she got it from doing really detailed sewing work, and mostly in her dominant hand. My left hand is worst but I am right handed.

Oh boss! He could type this stuff himself...

debbie-b
10-12-2011, 12:44 PM
I had carpel tunnel two years ago. With me there was not to much pain involved, just numbness in my fingers and a slight pain in my wrist. With surgery all the numbness went away.

Debbie

howsabout
10-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Looking back on when I had my wrist problem a couple years back I probably should have seen a Rheumy. I was convinced it was carpal tunnel but I was in so much pain I needed a brace to even move it. That's not carpal tunnel so I've been told. I think carpal tunnel doesn't hurt it's just weird.

Coloradan
10-12-2011, 07:30 PM
howsabout, was it just the one wrist? or did it eventually turn into both? thanks!

howsabout
10-14-2011, 03:31 PM
oh sorry I didn't see this until now. It was just one wrist at that time.

TeresaCO
11-09-2011, 06:07 PM
they both hurt like and SOB. I'm an OT that did many years of treating patients with Carpal tunnel and now have a whopping case myself. Carpal tunnel is the tunnel in youe wrist that houses 9 things and a nerve or is it 8 and a nerve. Ha the benes of a mushy brain. Anyway the tendons and the poor median nerve are held in by a lovely band, on the palm side of the wrist, that's the one they cut to give more room. Things hppen to make the tunnel to tight. Could be any swelling on the body, could be flexing or extending the wrist during sleep or repetetice trauma from vibration from tools, long typing, short typing lots in a poor position, lack of blood flow from poor posture some how Lupus really wreaks havoc, why I would love to know my self. I am guessing inflamation. My median never EMG test were moderately impaired and I was a surgicla candidate 6 years ago and said no, and treated it with posture and central core exercises and splints. Worked great. Diagnosed with hashimots some where in there. My only symptoms were dropping things, no numbness, once in a while a stabbing pain at wrist. I had no muscle bulk in my thumb. The median nerve control the thumb and index and next finger over, sometimes a little of the ring. Should give a classic 3 finger problem, not me.

So 6 year later, it hurts horrible in carpal tunnel shpooting sparks to digits 1-3, pain shoots back to elbow. Now I pick up a knife and end up throwing it. I am puffy at writs. I think I'm in a flare but driving a lot and posture horrible. I think the ulna tunnel at elbow is irritated by flare so could be all nerves in had have problems. I also had general stiffness. Nothing is simple so overlapping can happen, can take years to really get clear cause, diagnosis. I have to consider surgery.

Hope that helps,

Teresa in CO throwing knives and sparky wrist

Here I am

The Baum
11-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I had carpal tunnel surgery in both of my hands (at the same time) two years ago. I was diagnosed 10 years prior and just kept putting it off. I had numbness, weakness, and severe pain in my wrists and fingers. I woke up every night in pain. I am a nail tech and could barely polish finger nails. Wearing a brace helped for awhile but eventually the brace did nothing. I dropped small things and had to give up cross stitching because I could no longer hold the small needle. I had the surgery and never felt the pain or numbness again. I did learn that by waiting so long it caused some permanent nerve damage so keep a close watch on yourself. I hope my description helped a little.