PDA

View Full Version : ITCHY HEAD HELP!!!

bloomer519
04-03-2006, 11:47 AM
For the past two weeks the back of my head has been itching like CRAZY.. i thought it was my shampoo so I stopped it and went back to using NIOXIN.. however after a week it STILL itches.. last time this happened I was experiencing scalp tenderness to the point where it hurt when i would brush my hair. This time I am not experiencing that just severe itching... Last time the dr. actually put me on prednisone.. even though my blood work was fine I had actually started losing some of my hair on the top of my head. But who knows if it was a flare up. Does anyone else know what this could be?? Is it Lupus related? There is nothing on my head.. no red marks.. or rash or anything.. and its only the back of my head that itches.. my mom said if it was my shampoo wouldn't my whole head itch!! good point mom.. so then what could this mysterious itching be from??! I am not under any stress right now either. PLEASE HELP ME!!

Saysusie
04-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Hi Bloomer519 :lol:
You say that you have no rash, no red or scaly areas and no dandruff? If so, you may have Discoidal Lupus which often manifests in the scalp area (as well as other areas on the body), or psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis, accompanied by a yeast that forces your skin to grow more rapidly than normal. The overabundance of skin, in turn, encourages an overgrowth of the organisms that trigger itching.
If not, here are two other possibilities for itchy scalp:
Head lice:
The main features of lice infestations are severe itching and scratching followed by secondary infection. In some cases, it is hard to distinguish heal lice from eczema on the scalp. The presence of nits would confirm the diagnosis of head lice infestation.

Scalp dysaesthesia:
A variation of chronic cutaneous dysaesthesia in which Patients describe burning, stinging or itching sensations. These are often triggered or exacerbated by physical exertion or stress or psychological stress. Often there are no abnormal physical findings on the scalp, but the condition is nonetheless debilitating. Symptoms improved or disappeared on low-dose anti-depressant treatment.

There is a lot of information about each of the above causes of itchy scalp. It might be best for you to see a dermatologist to find out exactly what is causing yours so that treatment can begin.
Perhaps someone else on this site might have some information for you.
I hope that you are able to find some relief and some help!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

bloomer519
04-04-2006, 09:37 AM
thanks for the advice... the itching is mainly in the back of my head.. not the top scalp part... it itches soooo bad but there is just nothing there....no flaking.. redness... bumps... nothing.. just itching uncontrollably...

i will definitely look into some things online and contact my doctor.

thanks

SoleSinger
04-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Are you on CellCept? For the first few months after I started CellCept my head would itch like that, and I would scratch it so much handfuls of hair just fell out when I did... Every once in a while I still get that, but nothing like it was a few months ago! I'm not REALLY sure that it was from the CellCept, but, that's my theory!

The Nioxin helped, but only if I used the whole treatment line (not the styling line, though I'm sure it won't hurt) and it didn't get rid of it, but it calmed it some...

Hope this helps!

bloomer519
04-04-2006, 01:15 PM
never used CellPet.. never heard of it.. i am only on plaquinel.. i was in a hot tub two weeks ago.. (yes i no lupus no no i am sure) my skin is fine.. however but the back of my head where i had it resting in the water is what itches.. and i am beginning to think the heat from the hot tub water caused this.. although there no rash or skin flaking or anything.. thoughts??

SoleSinger
04-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Maybe dry skin? Do you shampoo everyday? You may have already had dry skin, and the chemicals and the heat from the hottub irritated it?

If you are using Nioxin it can be very drying to your skin and hair, but it opens the pores which also helps if you get sores on your head, so it has its ups and downs... try alternating a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner with the nioxin maybe? I like Botan Oil and Humectress by Nexxus... Maybe try getting a small trial size bottle of each and try alternating it for a few days and see if it helps?